• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

£100m golf course near Giant's Causeway given the go ahead

Starfire

telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/9898363/100m-golf-course-near-Giants-Causeway-given-the-go-ahead.html

Work on a £100 million golf resort near the famous Giant's Causeway on Ulster's north coast is due to get under way later this year after a landmark ruling at the Northern Ireland High Court today.

Thanks to RUC informer Alex Attwood, so the rest of us who dont value golf lose out a national heritage

C

Castle Ray

This is great news for NI and the north coast tourist offering specifically. It in no way spoils the Giants Causeway and is simply another great addition to the area.

Starfire

Rubbish - it only is for a tiny section, the money would be better spent on real long term job creation, not on a flash in the pan scheme to benefit a few elite.

Last edited:

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

I highly doubt they are going to build the golf course on the Giant's Causeway.

The link says that it falls "within the four kilometer zone which Unesco has placed around the stones."

My guess is that it just barely falls into that area, probably being 3-4 kilometers away from the Giant's Causeway. Otherwise they'd have specifically said it was closer to strengthen their argument. That being the case, I don't have a problem with the development.

devonish

Golf tourism is big business, it will pull money into NI which will help sustain jobs in the tourist industry. We have to exploit are natural environment to the max extent possible but in a suatainable way, I really don't see the problem with the proposed golf course and suspect that much of the complaints are to do with people not liking the idea of rich Americans and their like, flying in to play a round or 2 of golf.

DT123

Excellent news.

Barren fields turned into a top class golf course and a top hotel,to service the north coast.Four World class courses within a short drive,will do nothing but increase tourism to NI.

theloner

Hopefully it will put pressure on the local communities to clean up the roads on the way up to The Causeway! Last time I visited there with a tourist, the roads near it made Broughshane look like Florence.

Aristodemus

Excellent news.

Barren fields turned into a top class golf course and a top hotel,to service the north coast.Four World class courses within a short drive,will do nothing but increase tourism to NI.
I admire your optimism but I think it's misplaced. At present there are 3 great golf courses in the locality, how does the addition of one more become the catalyst to boost the tourist numbers?

Mickeymac

Rubbish - it only is for a tiny section, the money would be better spent on real long term job creation, not on a flash in the pan scheme to benefit a few elite.

Disgraceful indeed considering the child poverty stats published last week that exist in the occupied zone.

DT123

I admire your optimism but I think it's misplaced. At present there are 3 great golf courses in the locality, how does the addition of one more become the catalyst to boost the tourist numbers?
If you are going to go for a weeks golf,you need more than three courses to make you stay.

Vilamoura,Malaga and Myrtle Beach,are cases in point.Great facilities and an abundance if courses,attract the golfing tourist.The north coast needs at least one more top course.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies