12th July Bonfire call-out bill nears £4m

Northtipp

In relation to bonfires, they clearly have environmental and costs concerns. But a way should be found around that. They are part and parcel of unionist culture and they should not stop at all IMO. In fact a way should be found to harness the energy young people Put into getting them together and making that energy work for the community.

SKBAC

I But a way should be found around that. They are part and parcel of unionist culture and they should not stop at all IMO.
Putting a flag on top of a fire and dancing around it doesnt strike me as particularly 'cultural'.

Paisley_Buddy

Putting a flag on top of a fire and dancing around it doesnt strike me as particularly 'cultural'.

Dancing in actual flaming embers doesn't seem very cultural to me , but it is to some Bulgarians and so I must accept it as part of their culture.

It doesn't matter what you or me think ; the only people who have to decide what contitutes their own culture is the people concerned.

SKBAC

Dancing in actual flaming embers doesn't seem very cultural to me , but it is to some Bulgarians and so I must accept it as part of their culture.

It doesn't matter what you or me think ; the only people who have to decide what contitutes their own culture is the people concerned.
Female circumcision is considered to be a "cultural practice" by those engage in it. But to everyone else it is a backwards, harmful pursuit that should be stamped out- tradition or not.

Why shouldnt the same logic apply to unionist flag-burning ceremonies?

Paisley_Buddy

Female circumcision is considered to be a "cultural practice" by those engage in it. But to everyone else it is a backwards, harmful pursuit that should be stamped out- tradition or not.

Why shouldnt the same logic apply to unionist flag-burning ceremonies?

You can , within reason , maybe moderate the parts of bonfire ceebrations which are that controversial , like the burning of other people's flags.

You can't really moderate genital mutilation.

The problem here , as with many other issues in NI politics is that people are taking part of a whole and claiming that it IS the whole.

Northtipp

You can , within reason , maybe moderate the parts of bonfire ceebrations which are that controversial , like the burning of other people's flags.

You can't really moderate genital mutilation.

The problem here , as with many other issues in NI politics is that people are taking part of a whole and claiming that it IS the whole.

IMO that's fair. Work on the bits that are the problem and turn it into a positive for the community.

SKBAC

Are you implying that the burning of tricolours is not the norm at these 'cultural events'?

Jaymac

Burning rubber tyres is a problem. Burning flags is not.
Burning flags is a HUGE problem. If you genuinely care about unionist expressions such as the bonfires and the OO marches then the 'stick the middle finger up to the taigs' elements will have to be done away with for nationalists to ever come closer to accepting them.

SKBAC

Burning flags is a HUGE problem. If you genuinely care about unionist expressions such as the bonfires and the OO marches then the 'stick the middle finger up to the taigs' elements will have to be done away with for nationalists to ever come closer to accepting them.
Burning a flag is an act of hate, and the fact that these people take their kids to such events is just...weird.

The only people who burn flags on a regular basis are unionists and screaming Islamic fundamentalists. It ain't normal.

eskrimador

Burning a flag is an act of hate, and the fact that these people take their kids to such events is just...weird.

The only people who burn flags on a regular basis are unionists and screaming Islamic fundamentalists. It ain't normal.
Frankly, its pathetic but there again, it's "culture".

Make of that what you will :confused:

Northern Voice

At least loyalists are able to burn flags when they want to:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnzTbbncAc]YouTube - ‪Protesters in Dublin Burning British Flag FAIL‬‏[/ame]

:oops:

C

Castle Ray

Do you not think it's a bit messed up to burn the other side's flag like that? Honest question.
Doesn't do a lot for community relations if the other side are attending, that's for sure. I personally don't care much about it though.

C

Castle Ray

I don't genuinely care about bonfires or OO marches. These are not "unionist expressions". They are part of Orange culture which is only a part of those who make up those with a pro-union viewpoint.

The people who seem to care most are those that go rabid when they see an internet picture with a flag on a bonfire but who have no intention of attending that bonfire or event. I don't think organisers or attendees of bonfires on 11 July care whether nationalists accept them or not. They aren't for nationalists.

There is a bonfire within short walking distance of my house. I don't intend to go anywhere near it on 11 July and it won't effect me one bit what flag or emblem they burn. I think burning tyres is out of order though.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies