12th July Bonfire call-out bill nears £4m

SKBAC

What a stupid comment.
What's stupid about it? Flag burning is typical of backwards communities. Bringing your kids to that kind of thing is messed up, whether its Ulster or Iran.

Your excuse for such acts of hatred seems to be "nationalists won't be there when we burn their flag, so there's no problem."

How's that for dumb?

C

Castle Ray

What's stupid about it? Flag burning is typical of backwards communities. Bringing your kids to that kind of thing is messed up, whether its Ulster or Iran.

Your excuse for such acts of hatred seems to be "nationalists won't be there when we burn their flag, so there's no problem."

How's that for dumb?
What is stupid is the broad brush, stereo-type nonsense that labels an entire community, simply because of your own bigotry and sectarianism towards that community, as flag burners equivalent to "screaming Islamic fundamentalists" even though only a fraction of a percent of unionists engage in this sort of thing. You are the one doing that and you are stupid if you cannot see you own stupidty when it is even highlighted to you. I have not excused any flag burning or condoned it. You are dumb.

eskrimador

Keep it up my sons of Ulster. Remember 1690. No Surrender.
What's a Jean-Claude Van Damme (fek sake, how long did it take him to engrave his name on school desk?) film got to do with anything? :shock:

William T Riker

The big problem for the 12th of July is that, to put it bluntly, it looks pretty boring and uncool. I mean what half normal young person wants to go watch guys in sashes march around and then hear religious speeches afterwards?

I think that's what has caused it's near death in Canada, and probably will kill it off in NI in the long run. Maybe a general festival might take its place though.

C

Castle Ray

The big problem for the 12th of July is that, to put it bluntly, it looks pretty boring and uncool. I mean what half normal young person wants to go watch guys in sashes march around and then hear religious speeches afterwards?

I think that's what has caused it's near death in Canada, and probably will kill it off in NI in the long run. Maybe a general festival might take its place though.
The OO are making it more festival-esque and call the 12th Orangefest too. I would have been of your opinion too but this is a tradition rather than something that is meant to be cool. I went to the field to observe proceedings once and only a small % of the attendees listen to the speeches. It seems to be more about camaraderie, food and drink with your family and friends with a stalls, bouncy castles, face painting and all that stuff for the kids. Since it is a tradition that is enjoyed by those attending it is unlikely to die out any time soon.

North Of the Border

The OO are making it more festival-esque and call the 12th Orangefest too. I would have been of your opinion too but this is a tradition rather than something that is meant to be cool. I went to the field to observe proceedings once and only a small % of the attendees listen to the speeches. It seems to be more about camaraderie, food and drink with your family and friends with a stalls, bouncy castles, face painting and all that stuff for the kids. Since it is a tradition that is enjoyed by those attending it is unlikely to die out any time soon.
Yes to be fair the majority don't go to listen to speeches, it's to hang around with your mates and meet people you haven't spoke to in a while, get food and enjoy the bands.:) Just a good day out really.

Anglo Celt

I don't know if you've ever attended a 12th, but you can see the attendances the speeches get on TV in the reports on the same night. Mainly the older generation go to watch the speeches. The 12th is all about the tradition of parading, the bands, the banners, meeting with old friends and making new friends, picnics with your family, waving flags, children running around to watch Irish and Scottish dancing (yes, I said Irish dancing) and other things that you see at every festival all over the world. The 12th will just get bigger and more focused on the tradition of itself. It won't be long before Orangemen in the Irish Republic start putting on a parade in Dublin, though I doubt it'll become an annual event.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Yes to be fair the majority don't go to listen to speeches, it's to hang around with your mates and meet people you haven't spoke to in a while, get food and enjoy the bands.:) Just a good day out really.
Heh, aye.

My friend was up in Belfast last year during July and came across a parade. He'd be a bit apolitical, but a very bright fella. He got talking to a middle-aged member of the OO and said to me afterwards he was struck by how sound your man was and how half-insistently apologetically he tried to explain that this is all it is about (what you highlighted above), not all its past associations or the more unfortunate aspects of its recent history.

People who view it as you do, a social event etc., all power to yiz I say.
That's Limerick City ;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies