13.7% unemployed, 442,417 on live register

alonso

Last edited by a moderator:

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
CSO figures just issued record that there are 442,417 people on the live register.

This is an monthly fall of 24,506, and an increase of 22,563 year-on-year, representing an annual increase of 5.4%.

The current rate of unemployment thus stands at 13.7% for this month, compared to 13.8% for last month and 13.2% for the second quarter of 2010.

LeDroit

Plus all the people on training courses. Plus people hiding on 'disability allowance'. Plus out of work self employed people who get nothing.

Actual unemployment is about 20%.

Congalltee

The Live Register is not designed to measure unemployment. It includes part-time workers (those who work up to three days a week), seasonal and casual workers entitled to Jobseekers Benefit or Allowance. Unemployment is measured by the Quarterly National Household Survey and the latest seasonally adjusted figure, for April to June 2010, is 284,500 persons unemployed.
A far more significant economic indicator is the number in employment - which fell by only 7000 in that quarter.

GDPR

Was the original thread title of a drop of 5,400 too positive?

And where has the muppets (DS) thread of a rise in the register gone?

alonso

DC i agree with tonic on this (God Help Me!!!). The total LR figure is meaningless for most people so my original title should be reinstated. The headline is the fall of 5,400

I#d like CS to explain his aboprtive thread where he stated it increased by 99. You there?

adrem

Come on DC - the thread titles highlight the rise when there is a rise and should therefore highlight the fall in the number (notwithstanding the fact that the live register is a meaningless number anyway and doesn't actually reflect the "unemployed").

The old bias showing again DC !

libertarian-right

Demand for higher education remains very strong with a record 71,843 people applying for third-level places this year, according to analysis of CAO applications.

The analysis found the total number of applicants reached a record high of 71,843 this year, increasing 6.2% from 2009 in addition to a 6% increase in the previous year

HarshBuzz

unemployment number falls by 5400 - good
employed numbers fall by 7000 - bad

emigration in action folks

gijoe

Overall a good set of figures. But we will see it climb again from here through the remainder of the year as the hotel and construction sectors shed seasonal employment jobs. And as others imply we have to view these figures as well against the backdrop of emigration.

Asparagus

unemployment number falls by 5400 - good
employed numbers fall by 7000 - bad

emigration in action folks
But those net 1600 were all idiots - ha ha - sure we've turned the corner - its all upward and onward now...

Cassandra Syndrome

DC i agree with tonic on this (God Help Me!!!). The total LR figure is meaningless for most people so my original title should be reinstated. The headline is the fall of 5,400

I#d like CS to explain his aboprtive thread where he stated it increased by 99. You there?
I was on the CSO, latest publications page. The link for Sept 29 was still August's PDF before they posted Spetembers at 11am.

It wasn't until I saw the other threads that I realised oops!

grafter1

It's good to see the numbers fall whether it's because people have gone back to education or otherwise.

It is encouraging to see that people still believe in education and are being proactive in terms of adding value to themselves.

It would be great to think that we'll see a downward trend from here but i unfortunately dont think thats very likely in the short term at least.

Johnandedward

If this 'work for dole' Eamon O Cuiv idea gains legs and is implement those people 'occupied' (as opposed to being employed) by this scheme be removed from the official figures?

Isnt this just people moving off the JA ?

Id love for this to be positive news but come on, how can this be real? More like fiddiling with figures to keep the markets happy.

Expect a seasonally adjusted figure not to far off.

I was on the CSO, latest publications page. The link for Sept 29 was still August's PDF before they posted Spetembers at 11am.

It wasn't until I saw the other threads that I realised oops!
There you were salivating at the thought of bad news and proving yourself an idiot in Premature ************.

How APT.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies