13 Discovery Channels might be leaving SKY Platform .. soon as start of feb

robut

Sky loss of Discovery channels: Which programmes could go? When will they leave Sky? Where else can I watch Discovery?

If Discovery pulls its programming, Sky will lose…

Discovery Channel
Eurosport 1
Eurosport 2
Animal Planet
TLC
Investigation Discovery
DMAX
Discovery Turbo
Discovery Shed
Discovery Science
Discovery History
Home & Health
Quest
Discovery UK is threatening to pull its programming from Sky after accusing the service of “[refusing] to pay a fair price” for its 13 channels.

In a statement, Discovery claims that it is currently paid less by Sky than it was a decade ago.
Discovery Channels are one of main reason we are on SKY platform @€39 per month.

Other TVs are on FREE to AIR. Me thinks we might be reverting the front room TV to FTA also. It will be pretty much the same channels.

Last edited:

gleeful

I'm some times amazed that people still watch - and pay for - TV. In 2017 surely TV is gone the way of the fax machine and the telegraph?

JimmyFoley

It's probably for the best.

Eurosport has a snooker tournament on every other week. 4 hours productively spent, on days off will be mine again soon.

robut

I assume all you guys are aware of FREESAT / FREE to AIR. Legit. And no monthly payments. A dish and an FTA box is all.

W/O discoveries SKY will be pretty much close to FTA in channels available. Hard to justify continuing paying them per month. We dont have sports / movies.

I knw peeps still paying over €100 per month for Sky. I assume thats with all sport and movies and probably multi room for the kids .. Crazy

JimmyFoley

I assume all you guys are aware of FREESAT / FREE to AIR. Legit. And no monthly payments. A dish and an FTA box is all.

W/O discoveries SKY will be pretty much close to FTA in channels available. Hard to justify continuing paying them per month. We dont have sports / movies.

I knw peeps still paying over €100 per month for Sky. I assume thats with all sport and movies and probably multi room for the kids .. Crazy
What other than sport is worth watching on tv though?

University Challenge, Only Connect, a decent documentary once in a while....

robut

What other than sport is worth watching on tv though?

University Challenge, Only Connect, a decent documentary once in a while....
Inspector Morse, Midsommer Murders, Father Browne, Sherlock, Quantico, Bones, Murdoch Mysteries, Death in Paradise etc etc etc are very popular here and in other houses I know of, particularly with the woman folk :D

silverharp

the TV model will change over time, most kids probably watch more Youtube than TV, they aint going to have a captive audience in the future.

robut

Do we need a poll to find out how many p.iers still have a TV?
Off you go Gleeful.

All the houses I know of have at least 2 or 3 tvs. In the main at least 40" LCD / Plasma etc. They also use Chromecast sticks and wifi to cast tablet, phones, laptop to TV bigger screen. Usually for the purpose of watching online content legit or otherwise.

AND lots must still have TVs because quiet a few peeps have SKY and in some cases paying out crazy monthly sub.

Shur wasnt it established during bust and even now that SKY is a right as much as water is, even for those on welfare. Let your kids starve but dont take away SKY was the think on the talk shows :D

JimmyFoley

Inspector Morse, Midsommer Murders, Father Browne, Sherlock, Quantico, Bones, Murdoch Mysteries, Death in Paradise etc etc etc are very popular here and in other houses I know of, particularly with the woman folk :D
Ha! A certain person sitting in the next room watched 3 episodes of Midsomer Murder last night.

Shall I pass on your phone number to her?!

Boy M5

I'm some times amazed that people still watch - and pay for - TV. In 2017 surely TV is gone the way of the fax machine and the telegraph?
Sky is subject to takeover from Fox (prop R Murdoch)
Pay TV is still in growth phase

Boy M5

Ha! A certain person sitting in the next room watched 3 episodes of Midsomer Murder last night.

It seems an affliction of Irish womanhood

robut

It is unreal amongst Irish Women .. big fans of Crime Shows fiction/fact ... mmm I wonder what that should be telling the Irish men folk :D

olli rehn

It seems an affliction of Irish womanhood
My wife likes that stuff as well...she is German.
Angela Merkel is also a big fan of "Midsomer Murders".
So it is not only Irish women who are into these series.

robut

My wife likes that stuff as well...she is German.
Angela Merkel is also a big fan of "Midsomer Murders".
So it is not only Irish women who are into these series.
Its a plot against men folk world wide Im telling you :D ..

Elvis jaffacake

Hey another Murdoch mysteries fan..:cool:

Orbit v2

Off you go Gleeful.

All the houses I know of have at least 2 or 3 tvs. In the main at least 40" LCD / Plasma etc. They also use Chromecast sticks and wifi to cast tablet, phones, laptop to TV bigger screen. Usually for the purpose of watching online content legit or otherwise.

AND lots must still have TVs because quiet a few peeps have SKY and in some cases paying out crazy monthly sub.

Shur wasnt it established during bust and even now that SKY is a right as much as water is, even for those on welfare. Let your kids starve but dont take away SKY was the think on the talk shows :D
I only learned about this at the end of the Australian Open final when the commentator mentioned it. For me Sky loses nearly all of its appeal without these channels. I don't watch ITV or BBC any more and could get them free if I wanted. I don't watch the Sky sports channels and does anyone watch movies on Sky anymore? I only recently got Sky actually and am under contract. I presume that contract would be void if this happens.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies