• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

13 Ministers Claimed tax break for second home - Kenny won't say who

Kerrygold

In reply to Dáil question from Sinn Féin's Pearse Doherty, the Minister for Finance revealed that 13 Ministers had availed a second-home tax break, known as the "dual abode allowance". It allows Ministers outside of Dublin to write off €6,500 from their income tax bill if they had a second home in the capital without providing a single receipt.

According to Doherty, these Ministers would have had to write to Revenue to claim it.

Enda Kenny had promised to scrap the tax break before taking office.

Call for ministerial tax break ban - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 28, 2012

This morning's Dáil exchange between Pearse Doherty and the Taoiseach.

[video=youtube;B2ZmyqMs9dQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZmyqMs9dQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

willow68

Plus ca change....Groundhog Day in Dail Eireann. You couldn't make this stuff up:confused:

brughahaha

And Barrett running interference for the government again .... Ive yet to hear a question addressed to Kenny that Barrett doesn't interrupt in some way

Daily revelations on Fg filling their boots with taxpayers money ..... Bet RTE don't cover it

cytex

typical we have to pay tax on our homes and another tax if we own more than 1 the goverment get paid by us to own a second home .

DCon

How are there 13 Ministers not resident in Dublin, given the Dublin constituencies that have Ministers?

Is it logarithmic?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
And Barrett running interference for the government again .... Ive yet to hear a question addressed to Kenny that Barrett doesn't interrupt in some way

Daily revelations on Fg filling their boots with taxpayers money ..... Bet RTE don't cover it
Lets all text Joe Duffy and see what he says?

Rocky

How are there 13 Ministers not resident in Dublin, given the Dublin constituencies that have Ministers?

Is it logarithmic?
I presume it includes Junior Ministers too, which should bring you to 13 or over. Someone else can do the maths if they wish though.

emulator

Is it logarithmic?
This is the criteria here.... It's the same as the one Reilly used but he just added two at the end.... :)

brughahaha

Lets all text Joe Duffy and see what he says?
I was thinking programmes with slightly more credibility :) like the 1 oclock news

Does anyone under 50 listen to joe?

DCon

I presume it includes Junior Ministers too, which should bring you to 13 or over. Someone else can do the maths if they wish though.

Would like to know what Jimmy Reilly is doing as he chooses to live in a Palace outside his Constituency, and outside Dublin

As the Deputy will be aware, the legislation providing for Oireachtas expense allowances is exempt from taxation under section 836 of the Taxes Consolidation Act which was inserted into this Act by section 3(7) of the Oireachtas (Allowances to Members) and Ministerial and Parliamentary Offices Act 2009.

Ministers do not receive the Travel and Accommodation Allowance provided to Members of the Oireachtas.

However, Ministers outside the Dublin area who maintain second homes because of their official duties can claim an income tax deduction in maintaining that second home as well as the annual mortgage repayment. The availability of this allowance is determined by the Revenue Commissioners.

Ministerial Allowances: 17 Jul 2012: Written answers (KildareStreet.com)

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I was thinking programmes with slightly more credibility :) like the 1 oclock news

Does anyone under 50 listen to joe?
Well we'll make it Sean O'R so, but will anyone do it en masse?

nicht besonders

Ain't the new politics great?

Rocky

DCon

Reilly's base is barely Dublin i.e. Rural North County Dublin, but naturally I have no idea beyond that.

Which is higher this or the Travel and Accommodation Allowance?
It's still Dublin. Yet he chooses to live in BIFFO country. Does that entitle him to a tax break to maintain a gaff in his Constituency?

Rocky

It's still Dublin. Yet he chooses to live in BIFFO country. Does that entitle him to a tax break to maintain a gaff in his Constituency?
From the link you put up, I'd guess not.

collina

What happens when you own two houses in separate jurisdictions? Say, one in West Belfast and one in Donegal. Also where you have two salaries; one from the public purse here and one from Queen Elizabeth's handbag. What exemptions exist?

Watcher2

In reply to Dáil question from Sinn Féin's Pearse Doherty, the Minister for Finance revealed that 13 Ministers had availed a second-home tax break, known as the "dual abode allowance". It allows Ministers outside of Dublin to write off €6,500 from their income tax bill if they had a second home in the capital without providing a single receipt.

According to Doherty, these Ministers would have had to write to Revenue to claim it.

Enda Kenny had promised to scrap the tax break before taking office.

Call for ministerial tax break ban - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 28, 2012

This morning's Dáil exchange between Pearse Doherty and the Taoiseach.

[video=youtube;B2ZmyqMs9dQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZmyqMs9dQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]
It's how the expenses are handled in this country. I assume this has to do with the cost of travelling from your constituency to the Dail and perhaps having to stay in Dublin. These types of costs need to be matched against the cost of a hotel room. Thats said, I think that if the government contribute towards a property, it should be in the ownership of the state. But that starts to get a little messy.

In fairness, we are always banging on about politicians to be treated like those in the private sector get treated. In some ways, it may end up costing the state more.

All of that said, there should be transparency on the whole thing and Kenny is doing himself, FG and the electorate a disservice (AGAIN) by his silence.

DSW1916

What happens when you own two houses in separate jurisdictions? Say, one in West Belfast and one in Donegal. Also where you have two salaries; one from the public purse here and one from Queen Elizabeth's handbag. What exemptions exist?
Applies to minsiters only - STUPID!! No member of the Dail receives two salaries - run off and play in the traffic like a good wee boy!!

DSW1916

Plus ca change....Groundhog Day in Dail Eireann. You couldn't make this stuff up:confused:
I think the point is this, FG said they would abolish this perk, they have not!! 13 Ministers have then personally applied to the Revenue Commissioners for something they promised to get rid off - more gravy train polictics from the ones that told us they would clean things up!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies