13 Yr old stopped in RTW Yacht trip by court

twinman

bit of a joke that the recently returned 16 year old solo round the world sailer boy had his daddy and others in a backup boat 100 metres away the whole time.

The OD

One has to admire the girl and wonder at the parents in equal measure.

I admire any 13 year old who is so gutsy as to attempt such an endeavour and am baffled at how any parent could agree to putting their baby (and at 13, you're still a baby, lets face it) to such risk.

Fair play to the judges, it was the only sensible move to make.

thebig C

Fair play to the kid, but this is the right decision. She can do all this when she is a few years older. And indeed, when she is older and wiser she will appreciate the folly of this action.

Where the heck were her parents though.

C

InReality

Its a good ( balanced ) decision.

I had a look at the US reports of it , expecting some anti-govt
articles.
But they are a just copy and paste of the wire service report !
interesting eh ?

And the background to the case is interesting too.
Her parents have already sailed around the world.

It always amazes how closely childern follow their parents.
Another example is that some F2 (?) Team is ran by the son of a F1 Team boss :)

Question R24U

Nanny Stateism.
If she and her parents want to have the world has her playground- who is the State, through the judicary to limit her ambitions?

The OD

Nanny Stateism.
If she and her parents want to have the world has her playground- who is the State, through the judicary to limit her ambitions?
Em, she's 13 years old, what us folks around here call a child.

She's hardly looking to go hiking in the polders here. :?

Bobert

Hmm, well, would she have had a safety boat behind her? If so I see no problem.

imokyrok

It's pretty sad really. This child will probably be a parent someday and will come to realise her parents cared more for sports fame than they did for her life.

Question R24U

Em, she's 13 years old, what us folks around here call a child.

She's hardly looking to go hiking in the polders here. :?
That's my point, her ambitions and that of her parents are far greater. Saling is in her blood:

Miss Dekker was reportedly born on a yacht off the coast of New Zealand during a seven-year world trip.

She should at least challenge this in the European Courts (if she had intended leaving from a non-Dutch EU port) since it is affecting her intra-EU rights. Imagine, if an Irish Court prevented a 13 year old child from travelling abroad to have an abortion to secure her physical and mental well-being....nevermind.

irish_shrink

Apparently she is going to apply to become a New Zealand citizen in order to do the trip, she was born there, therefore entitled to citizenship.

reknaw

One of the reasons for this wise decision is that she would have missed school for those two years.:-(

It makes you wonder what her parents' priorities are.:confused:

imokyrok

This an interesting article about this case and the psychological and physical dangers involved. It also mentions children who have been killed or injured in record breaking attempts before.

Dutch Council For Child Protection Wants Custody Of Laura Dekker, 13, To Halt Solo Sailing Voyage - kdka.com

"As adults, you have a very important responsibility to oversee more aspects than just the (child's) dream," he said. "I'm not saying children shouldn't have dreams, but sometimes dreams are just dreams."

myksav

I don't think this makes good precedence. From what I've heard the decision was on mental health/ability grounds, this could be expanded to cover anyone, even those of adult status, for any activity that can be seen as dangerous.
At what age do the Dutch authorities think a person should be allowed to do something like a RTW trip?
They would have done better to 'bribe' Miss Dekker with sponsorship at an older age.

Miss Dekker probably has more sea cop-on than most adults given her early life.

myksav

One of the reasons for this wise decision is that she would have missed school for those two years.:-(

It makes you wonder what her parents' priorities are.:confused:
Ever hear of radio? It can be used to school those who are not near a school. Often used in Australia. With modern telecommunications, you can get schooling almost anywhere on the planet.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies