• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

15% Rent Allowance Increase

bactrian

FF and FG have apparently negotiated a deal and one of the components is a 15% increase in the Rent Allowance(with a geographical bias).

The usual frothing-at-the-mouth "we hate landlords" crew will now fulminate about the iniquities of the "property owning classes".

The 15% increase is a really useless and bad idea . It will have a small effect in increases in rent(why I say that the effect will be small is irrelevant to the point I wish to make).

There are "X" number available properties to rent , there are "X"+"A Large Number" of tenants seeking accommodation.

This "X"+"A Large Number" is divided between those depending on their salary/wages to pay rent and those availing of Rent Supplement. The increase in rent supplement will allow some on rent supplement to outbid some depending on their salary/wages but it will not affect either the "X" number available properties to rent or the sum of the "X"+"A Large Number" looking for accommodation.

It is a classic case of "Looking like you are doing something" when in fact you are resolving nothing.

Wouldn't it be much smarter to build some houses/apartments?

devoutcapitalist

I actually think Rent allowance should be abolished, It's one of the reasons why rents are artificially high.

FF are once again pandering to their landlord friends who bought property at silly prices during the Celtic Tiger.

wombat

All independent advice has been that rent allowance is a subsidy to landlords but if you are a politician, do you want to be constantly defending anonymous civil servants from the media attacks of Fr McVerry?

firefly123

Something needed to be done about the housing crisis. This is something! Let's do it!

At least that is what I imagine the conversation was.

gerhard dengler

I actually think Rent allowance should be abolished, It's one of the reasons why rents are artificially high.

FF are once again pandering to their landlord friends who bought property at silly prices during the Celtic Tiger.
In the long run such an abolition would free up a lot of property for people to buy (to owner occupy).

daveL

A typical ff policy that

New politics my hole

Same failed crap as before

devoutcapitalist

Something needed to be done about the housing crisis. This is something! Let's do it!

At least that is what I imagine the conversation was.
Yes more statism is the answer like rent controls or increasing rent allowance that will encourage more private sector involvement in the housing sector:rolleyes:

Truth.ie

... And in the short run?
There'll be a rent price war with landlords dropping bids to attract available renters.
A lot of landlords will get burnt financially.
A lot of long term unemployed will be out looking for work. Any work.

gleeful

We're back to the FF days and the country is going to get FFcked.

I read they are also going to reintruduce mortgage interest tax relief for those who bought pre-2013. So effectively they will be taxing renters to subsidise home owners. Great FF policy. FFck the renters.

daveL

We're back to the FF days and the country is going to get FFcked.

I read they are also going to reintruduce mortgage interest tax relief for those who bought pre-2013. So effectively they will be taxing renters to subsidise home owners. Great FF policy. FFck the renters.
2013? Why specifically 2013?

Gin Soaked

We have a supply problem driving price. The 15% will go straight to landlords at the expense of the working poor.

This is deeply immoral and stupid.

And it is being done with our taxes.

wombat

There is a new all party commitee on housing, it will be interesting to see if they can agree an approach to the housing problem.

cricket

As I've often posted here, the real problem for decades has been the slow-down/cessation of local authority homes being built.This would have cooled the property bubble.
Increasing the rent allowance doesn't solve anything in the long term.

firefly123

Yes more statism is the answer like rent controls or increasing rent allowance that will encourage more private sector involvement in the housing sector:rolleyes:
Check your Sarcasm detector there devoutcapitalist. It might be switched off

firefly123

There'll be a rent price war with landlords dropping bids to attract available renters.
A lot of landlords will get burnt financially.
A lot of long term unemployed will be out looking for work. Any work.
There seems to be quite a large market of properties where rent allowance is not allowed (even if the law says otherwise). How will that be affected by an abolition?

Gin Soaked

There is a new all party commitee on housing, it will be interesting to see if they can agree an approach to the housing problem.
It is a supply issue. Build more at a lower cost and turn all policies to keeping prices low.....

If there are unintended consequences , change the taxation policies.

This should be easy once you are willing to view land as a national resource..

devoutcapitalist

It is a supply issue. Build more at a lower cost and turn all policies to keeping prices low.....

If there are unintended consequences , change the taxation policies.

This should be easy once you are willing to view land as a national resource..
I wonder what percentage of the cost of building new houses or apartments is down to government regulations and taxes. Do EU regulations play a small part as well?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies