• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

17% of People in NI want a United Ireland - What do People of the Republic think?

Iarmhi Gael

Last night BBC released a Poll on whether people in NI want a United Ireland

The findings are below
Do you wish to remain part of the UK
Yes 65
No 17
Among definitely vote: yes 79-21

catholics would vote

38% UK
35% UI
18% Wont vote
9% DK

Seeing as few from the South have commented on the thread in the NI forum - I thought maybe if would get a better response on the Main Forum. Judging by the media in the Republic this morning, it has received little to no coverage, so many will be unaware of it.

So what do you think as southerns?
With close to a 50:50 split in Northern Ireland (Catholics/Protestants) Are you disappointed that so many in NI wish to remain part of the UK?
Do you even want a United Island?
Is their a complete disconnect between those who want a United Island and those who wish things to remain as is?

harshreality

I must say it is ever so refreshing to hear a new topic mentioned on p.ie!

Can't wait to hear the informed responses from posters who will no doubt remain on topic.

Anyway, the carcass has fallen so the vultures are no doubt circling overhead so I better get outta here.

Happy debating y'all:D

mhagain

I can't and won't presume to speak for anyone other than myself here, but here's my opinion.

Continued peace, even if it's at the expense of unity, is the higher priority.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
17% of People in NI want a United Ireland - What do People of the Republic think?
This person of the republic thinks, a minority of a minority of NI people want a UI. Let us both focus on improving our respective lots for a generation and revisit. How's that?

FrankSpeaks

Does it really matter what we think, we have no say in the matter!

However in my opinion the SF plan to hold a poll is nonsensical and I think that we in the South are nowhere near being ready for reunification and definitely could not afford it.

mctree

I think it is clear the people of the north don't want unification right now. It is not the time anyway. Leave the issue now for a generation. Let them try and resolve their differences up there before asking them to join us down here. And we should concentrate on making this a true Republic fair and ran properly for the people. Forget unification for now.

Another point.. can we really refer to people as nationalists anymore when the majority of catholics up there don't want unification?

daveL

Last night BBC released a Poll on whether people in NI want a United Ireland

The findings are below
Do you wish to remain part of the UK
Yes 65
No 17
Among definitely vote: yes 79-21

catholics would vote

38% UK
35% UI
18% Wont vote
9% DK

Seeing as few from the South have commented on the thread in the NI forum - I thought maybe if would get a better response on the Main Forum. Judging by the media in the Republic this morning, it has received little to no coverage, so many will be unaware of it.

So what do you think as southerns?
With close to a 50:50 split in Northern Ireland (Catholics/Protestants) Are you disappointed that so many in NI wish to remain part of the UK?
Do you even want a United Island?
Is their a complete disconnect between those who want a United Island and those who wish things to remain as is?
I wouldn't expect any different

It's hardly Utopia down here; us Mexicans even know that! Plus in general people are adverse to change...

daveL

I think it is clear the people of the north don't want unification right now. It is not the time anyway. Leave the issue now for a generation. Let them try and resolve their differences up there before asking them to join us down here. And we should concentrate on making this a true Republic fair and ran properly for the people. Forget unification for now.

Another point.. can we really refer to people as nationalists anymore when the majority of catholics up there don't want unification?
no, but "we" never should have

nor should "we" conflate republicans with nationalists

wilting

The question is redundant. We have an united Ireland. Both jurisdictions are part of the European Union.

Grumpy Jack

Does it really matter what we think, we have no say in the matter!

However in my opinion the SF plan to hold a poll is nonsensical and I think that we in the South are nowhere near being ready for reunification and definitely could not afford it.
Yes we do - under the Good Friday Agreement, the British-Irish Agreement and the Irish Constitution we very much have a say.

A United Ireland can only happen if it is approved by a majority in both jurisdictions.

ruserious

It's the economy stupid. Wait a few years or even look back to 2006. It's a sorry day when people chose their future statehood for an extra few bob a week, but that's the reality.

thegregster

It's the economy stupid. Wait a few years or even look back to 2006. It's a sorry day when people chose their future statehood for an extra few bob a week, but that's the reality.
But even then very few wanted it.

FrankSpeaks

Yes we do - under the Good Friday Agreement, the British-Irish Agreement and the Irish Constitution we very much have a say.

A United Ireland can only happen if it is approved by a majority in both jurisdictions.
You are correct in that both jurisdictions must approve the reunification, however what I meant in that post is that the votes of people in the republic have no bearing or how those in the North vote, we could vote as often as we want down here for a United Ireland but unless those North of the border agree with us then the Status Quo remains, i.e. we have no say in the matter.

between the bridges

It is just possible that some Irish are happy to be British (just like the one's living on the 'mainland') while still maintaining an Irish identity...and as a Unionists i take my hat off to them, because my community hasn't always made that an easy decision to make...

Schomberg

A majority of Catholics did in those years.
The number might have been higher but it was still in free fall. Compare 1996 to 2003 and then 2003 to now. Downward spiral. A good ROI economy will mean a good UK economy so I don't think economics is going to be the biggest factor in peoples decision to change the constitutional status of NI.

B

Boggle

I don't even want to be part of this Ireland so why would they?

Make the country somewhere we're proud to belong, extend a no obligation and open ended invitation to the north and if the people choose to join then so be it.
If not then no hard feelings.

Popular Threads

Most Replies