1945: The Savage Peace

Rafael Rose

1945: The Savage Peace BBC 2 May 24th

[video=youtube;k8kh_X-7ojY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8kh_X-7ojY[/video]

When the Second World War ended, the people of liberated Europe celebrated their freedom from Nazi tyranny. Their years of suffering had ended, but for millions of Germans, the end of the conflict opened a new and terrible chapter.
The Savage Peace reveals the appalling violence meted out to the defeated, especially to those ethnic Germans who had lived peacefully for centuries in neighbouring countries.

An interesting program on BBC 2 this evening showing what was happening in Germany in 1945 whilst we in Britain were celebrating victory in Europe.

I did feel the program pointed more towards crimes committed by the Soviets after the war, where I'm sure us Brits, the French and Americans weren't exactly saints. Still a very sad and moving account of post war Europe though.

Last edited:

sgtharper

I did feel the program pointed more towards crimes committed by the Soviets after the war, where I'm sure us Brits, the French and Americans weren't exactly saints..
Yes. of course you do.

ne0ica

Very tough show to watch. I was expecting a general history of the aftermath of the Second World War. All those personal testimonies and archive footage made for harrowing watching. It must be remembered though that these countries in which these crimes against Germans after the war occurred experienced brutal occupation at the hands of the Nazis.

BBC iPlayer - 1945: The Savage Peace

When the Second World War ended, the people of liberated Europe celebrated their freedom from Nazi tyranny. Their years of suffering had ended, but for millions of Germans, the end of the conflict opened a new and terrible chapter.
The Savage Peace reveals the appalling violence meted out to the defeated, especially to those ethnic Germans who had lived peacefully for centuries in neighbouring countries.

An interesting program on BBC 2 this evening showing what was happening in Germany in 1945 whilst we in Britain were celebrating victory in Europe.

I did feel the program pointed more towards crimes committed by the Soviets after the war, where I'm sure us Brits, the French and Americans weren't exactly saints. Still a very sad and moving account of post war Europe though.
Wasn't all kick out the Germans as even today there are still many Polish/German families in Silesia.

purpledon

Saw the programme last night. Loads of stuff that I've never seen before and a lot of it was very uncomfortable to watch.

The Savage Continent - is a book about the vengence wrecked on the German population by the Allies and others after the war. When the Allies entered Germany, they too were given free reign to do as they pleased to the German population, by then mostly old men, women and children.

gijoe

Very interesting documentary - even stopped me from turning over to MOTD to watch it.

brehony

Very interesting documentary - even stopped me from turning over to MOTD to watch it.
Giles Mac Donough has written After the Reich for anyone interested in this topic.

It makes for sad reading as the most of the victims were elderly, women and children.

The British army appear to have been the least worse occupiers in the 45-47 period.

The German parliament (in the 70s) I think commisioned a report on this time and the number of deaths that resulted from killings and deliberate starvation but it seems that it was suppressed. Probably because of the cold war.

In fact it was the cold war that saved the Germans from even more years of deprivation and cruelty

Clanrickard

Clanrickard

I can't watch being in ROI. Have you another link?

Clanrickard

The Nazis broke the rules, they massacred millions and they created hell on earth wherever they went.

I have no sympathy or pity.
Not every German was a Nazi.

sgtharper

The Savage Continent - is a book about the vengence wrecked on the German population by the Allies and others after the war. When the Allies entered Germany, they too were given free reign to do as they pleased to the German population, by then mostly old men, women and children.
Which Allies and what evidence is there to support this, "free reign" you say was given?

brehony

Doesn't matter.

After crimes like the massacre at Lidice, the siege of Leningrad, the systematic mass murder of Jews across Eastern Europe, the brutality toward partisans fighting for the liberation of their countries by the SS and Gestapo, the rape and pillage and destruction committed by the regular German Army, slave labor, the economic deprivation as the economies of occupied countries were bled dry to feed the war machine etc etc etc.

The Germans should be thankful they were weren't exterminated to the last themselves.
The brutality toward ethnic Germans was perfectly understandable reaction to what occupied peoples endured.
The war was only won when German cities were turned into rubble and ashes and 500,000 Germans civilians are cremated.

It had to be done.

For 70 years German militarism has been extinct and it should stay that way.

The Germans collectively got a hiding they have never forgotten.
Have you considered ISIS as a career option?

blinding

I could only watch a few minutes. I just wasn't in the frame of mind to watch that.

People who start wars should be forced to watch this kind of stuff.

There are no guarantees in war and you may reap what you have sown.

Last edited:

sgtharper

I could only watch a few minutes. I just wasn't in the frame of mind to watch that.

People who start wars should be forced to watch this kind of stuff.

There are no guarantees in war and you make reap what you have sown.
Well said Bomber Harris! :D

Goats

Banned
You may gain some insight into the calibre of a Russian office when you learn they made no efforts to prevent the mass rape of women in Germany by the rank and file. Quite the contrary. They actively assisted and partook of the mass rape of women. Many thousands of women took their own lives after being raped. It is a stain on Russian military history that can never be washed away. Nor will it be forgotten.

Victor Meldrew

Sad but ultimately the Germans brought it upon themselves.

F*ck them!
If these Germans were living in other countries they would not have had a hand in Hitler's ascent to power. So how are they culpable.

Uh oooh

Banned

The history books have been written. about that period , the Germans were the baddies and the allow were the goodies, so there is no need to go m messing with history, the story is there,