1945: The Savage Peace

sgtharper

How bizarre. What a weirdo. Couldn't be further from the truth. Get back in your barracks soldier and await further orders. Stop thinking. It's not your role in life and it's obviously not good for your mental health.
Clearly annoyed you were rumbled so quickly, but let's face it, with tedious, unoriginal and predicatable crap like this,:

Originally Posted by Global Irish Nation
Incrementally, piece by piece, the long silent German narrative on much of the WW2 experience is coming to light. And that's surely a good thing. No one should want to be fed a simplistic one sided 'winners version of events.' The world is entitled to hear it all. Turning the spotlight on the likes of Eisenhower and Churchill and their criminal actions doesn't have to take away from the horrors committed by a few/some/many on the German side. And neither should the truths that are slowly emerging be systematically ignored or mindlessly diminished becasue we may not like them. The fact is, there are a lot of unanswered questions and hidden perspectives relating to WW2 and indeed WW1 that warrant real historic academic scrutiny.
..you were never going to hide for long?

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
I am totally bored out of my chuff with this thread, so —

Can we settle that, in realpolitik, there were two choices by the back-end of the 1930s:

1. to compromise to the utterance with
  • the Nazis
  • the Fascists,
  • the Falangists,
  • Salazar's Estado Novo,
  • Szálasi's Arrow Cross
  • and all the rest ...
2. Or —
  • good, old-fashioned, basic democratic decency.
The rest is detail.

I'm just grateful that:
  • however, whatever, whenever the British government woke up to the realities;
  • and de Valera's Fianna Fáil administration knew the limits of propriety (while keeping the Ulramontaines "on side").
But — sadly — therein are too many complexities for our local monomaniacs to comprehend.

diaspora-mick

I am totally bored out of my chuff with this thread, so —

Can we settle that, in realpolitik, there were two choices by the back-end of the 1930s:

1. to compromise to the utterance with
  • the Nazis
  • the Fascists,
  • the Falangists,
  • Salazar's Estado Novo,
  • Szálasi's Arrow Cross
  • and all the rest ...
2. Or —
  • good, old-fashioned, basic democratic decency.
The rest is detail.

I'm just grateful that:
  • however, whatever, whenever the British government woke up to the realities;
  • and de Valera's Fianna Fáil administration knew the limits of propriety (while keeping the Ulramontaines "on side").
But — sadly — therein are too many complexities for our local monomaniacs to comprehend.
You forgot about the Stalinists old chap ... petunia

diaspora-mick

The pair sat down to “food of all kinds crowned by suckling pig and innumerable bottles” at a sumptuous dinner in Moscow in 1942.

Sir Alexander Cadogan, the Prime Minister’s top aide for the trip, said he arrived later to find them “merry as a marriage bell”.

More red? Winston Churchill boozes with Stalin

McTell

Twitter
No
Natives did get massacred by all sorts, even in australia in the 1920s...

"Bullfrog camped nearby but Brooks neither paid him the promised food nor did he return his wife. In the morning Bullfrog became enraged when he found his wife in bed with Brooks and attacked him, severing an artery in his throat with his boomerang. Bullfrog, his uncle Padirrka, and Marungali then beat Brooks to death."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coniston_massacre

redneck

This very very sad program was on again on Sunday evening on RTE. It showed the terrible retribution of the Allies and their eastern European partizans towards German speaking people.
Some scenes reminded me of the Autzwitz concentration camp. In Czech republic thousands of German speaking people were rounded up, shot , and their bodies ran over by trucks. Shocking viewing really.
Also it was said 12 million German speaking peoples were expelled from Poland, Czech republic, East Prussia, Slovenia. Yes war is terrible and you reap what you sow.
Their crime was their silence during the Nazi regime. Ironically it was probably Communism and the Cold war which stopped further attacks on Germany. Communism was all about brotherly love and comradship.
Another factor was the mass rape of 2 million German women and girls in May and June 1945, by the advancing Russian troops. This was not the worst atrocity- as many German women said at the time, better the Russki on top, then the American bombs falling on us!
Anyway, this sobering progam showed the sheer ethnic hatreds in mainly Eastern europe.

rainmaker

Administrator
better the Russki on top, then the American bombs falling on us!
German women were happy to be me mass raped by Russians than have American bombs fall on Berlin?

Clanrickard

German women were happy to be me mass raped by Russians than have American bombs fall on Berlin?
It is shocking that anyone could come up with this bilge.

Post-truth

It is shocking that anyone could come up with this bilge.
How did you get along with your employee mortgages, yet? Bilge? How did they get on? Hopefully better that they never set eyes on you.

Dame_Enda

They did bring it on themselves as a collective. However my understanding is that some of the victims of these reprisals included people who were not Nazi supporters.

Mickeymac

They did bring it on themselves as a collective. However my understanding is that some of the victims of these reprisals included people who were not Nazi supporters.

Google is your friend AH, 4,000 tons of high explosives were dropped on Dresden civilians and not one strategic target, bridges, runways, roads, military bases etc etc