1968 and all that

CatullusV

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the first real outbreak of the 1968 protest movement in France - a movement which spread globally.

The protests spread and escalated until in June de Gaulle was forced to flee the country temporarily. Ironically, on his return the ensuing election consolidated his power.

The protests sparked global protests over other issues - Vietnam among others.

One of the reminders is that in the Latin Quarter of Paris and in the environs of the universities the roads are tarred rather than cobbled; on cobbled streets it is necessary to unlock just one stone to release the others as weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1968_events_in_France

People generally speak of the '68 events as kicking off in May, but today was the day fifty years ago.

LookWhoItIs

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the first real outbreak of the 1968 protest movement in France - a movement which spread globally.

The protests spread and escalated until in June de Gaulle was forced to flee the country temporarily. Ironically, on his return the ensuing election consolidated his power.

One of the reminders is that in the Latin Quarter of Paris and in the environs of the universities the roads are tarred rather than cobbled; on cobbled streets it is necessary to unlock just one stone to release the others as weapons.

People generally speak of the '68 events as kicking off in May, but today was the day fifty years ago.
I wonder if the troubles in NI lead to the phasing out of milk bottles :D

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The only effect this seems to have had on Ireland is to give rise to a crop of ineffectual, hoary old pinko malcontents like Eammon McCann and his ilk.

LookWhoItIs

The only effect this seems to have had on Ireland is to give rise to a crop of ineffectual, hoary old pinko malcontents like Eammon McCann and his ilk.
An that other wee thing called the troubles which lasted for a mere 30 years:roll:

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
An that other wee thing called the troubles which lasted for a mere 30 years:roll:
I think you underestimate the plight of Northern Nationalists if you think it was a bunch of cosplay communists in Paris who lay behind the eruption of violence in NI.

Telstar 62

The Gaullist crack down over Algeria in the early sixties would have made
for an inevitable backlash.

Young hipsters everywhere were bolshie in the Sixties - riffing on drugs
and Dylan....;)

Boy M5

One of the reminders is that in the Latin Quarter of Paris and in the environs of the universities the roads are tarred rather than cobbled; on cobbled streets it is necessary to unlock just one stone to release the others as weapons.-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L8XQZYIiNgo

LookWhoItIs

I think you underestimate the plight of Northern Nationalists if you think it was a bunch of cosplay communists in Paris who lay behind the eruption of violence in NI.
TBF I was been flippant - but the i'm sure the civil rights movements across the world especially in the US did play into the conflict in NI - at least in forging overseas opinion

Catalpast

Well I was in Paris in '68

- but later in the year when it had all blown over

But for a time it really did feel as if Revolution was in the air....

Maybe a lesser Leader than De Gaulle would have lost control of the situation

- but he stood firm

He resigned the following year

- and died the year after....

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Catalpast

No doubt about it that the events in the USA and France that year highly influenced how things panned out in the North....

'We shall overcome' an all that....

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
No doubt about it that the events in the USA and France that year highly influenced how things panned out in the North....

'We shall overcome' an all that....
I think you can say they added the mood-music to what was already afoot, but who can say for sure? For my money if anything external can be said to have been instrumental it was the civil rights movement in the US and not the professional malcontents in Paris.

making waves

- but he stood firm
He didn't stand firm - he done a runner to Germany - and then plotted a military coup.

May 1968 brought French capitalism to its knees and the revolutionary movement was utterly betrayed by the French Communist Party

Analyzer

t h e
r e v o l u t i o n
o f

s p o i l e d
b r a t s

Catalpast

I think you can say they added the mood-music to what was already afoot, but who can say for sure? For my money if anything external can be said to have been instrumental it was the civil rights movement in the US and not the professional malcontents in Paris.
Yes the CR thing was bigger

- but the radicalisation of Students played its part

Think Peoples Democracy

Catalpast

He didn't stand firm - he done a runner to Germany - and then plotted a military coup.

May 1968 brought French capitalism to its knees and the revolutionary movement was utterly betrayed by the French Communist Party
De Gaulle was not plotting a 'Coup'

He was already the President!

But what he did do was pay a series of visits to military bases

- and talked over with Commanders if he could 'rely' on them if Le merde hit the fan...

Never trust the Communists!:evil:

wombat

Well I was in Paris in '68

- but later in the year when it had all blown over

But for a time it really did feel as if Revolution was in the air....

- but he stood firm

He resigned the following year

- and died the year after....
I remember a French guy who lived south of Paris telling me about how it was put down. He was a young teenager at the time and remembered the Foreign Legion heading for Paris through his town. Apparently, the story was leaked that if the police lost control, the Foreign Legion would be deployed and that ended the riots.

New Threads

Most Replies