1986: Michael Noonan, FG's cynical moral chameleon pro military boats to Iran

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Michael Noonan has had a chequered career as a moral chameleon , it is no accident that someone like Enda Kenny relies so heavily on him

A UK company wasn't allowed to export to Iran's navy ... but Del Boy Noonan was all for fiddling the sale through Ireland

Interestingly, Peter Barry, too green for my taste, was the one to shoot down Del Boy ...and he did it on principle, at a time when Ireland was in serious financial difficulty

How a plan to sell launches to Iran was scuppered

How Fine Gael have progressed ...30 years on...morally dodgy is fine

cyp

Polly Ticks

Michael Noonan has had a chequered career as a moral chameleon , it is no accident that someone like Enda Kenny relies so heavily on him

A UK company wasn't allowed to export to Iran's navy ... but Del Boy Noonan was all for fiddling the sale through Ireland

Interestingly, Peter Barry, too green for my taste, was the one to shoot down Del Boy ...and he did it on principle, at a time when Ireland was in serious financial difficulty

cyp
A morality free zone:

In a letter dated February 18th, Mr Noonan said because Ireland was not a member of Nato, its trading position in sensitive products to countries including Iran was “a delicate one requiring constant vigilance and care”. He also said while our “neutral status” suggested we should not contemplate supplying the vessels, the reality was “we have considerable trade with Iran and Iraq”.
So, that's alright then... :rolleyes:

Franzoni

cyp
For a Gaeler PB always seemed to me one of the good guys...

I love one of the put downs to other Gaelers at a cabinet meeting that was reported in the review of Ruari Quinns buke a few years back when the issue of penal reform was being discussed..........

Paddyc

For a Gaeler PB always seemed to me one of the good guys...

I love one of the put downs to other Gaelers at a cabinet meeting that was reported in the review of Ruari Quinns buke a few years back when the issue of penal reform was being discussed..........
Same here,

He always struck me as utterly principled without a corrupt bone in his body.

I haven't read Quinn's book, what was the put down?

Franzoni

Same here,

He always struck me as utterly principled without a corrupt bone in his body.

I haven't read Quinn's book, what was the put down?

According to Quinns account as i remember it FitzGerald proposed putting a former prisoner on a panel about penal reform and Quinn proposed Mannix Flynn which caused a bit of consternation around the table with the FG mob as Flynn had been convicted of burning down Dockrells which was owned by former FG TD's....apparently Peter Barry pointed out they had been well compensated for their troubles...

Found the link Miriam Lord makes reference to it...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/miriam-lord-s-week-1.561877

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies