1994 Gery Adams On The Late Late Show

LeftOfCentre

Was wondering around youtube and bumped into this . . .

Its from 1994 (I was only 11! so never saw it) , Gerry Adams first time on the Late Late show . . quite riveting stuff !. . . .

there really was a clear bias against Adams on the show . . .It was really heavily weighted against Adams but he handled himself very well. . . .

For Me Adams & Ahern come out best. . While Gay Byrne & Mcdowel are pretty much a joke. . . .

Anyway..... enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxw4a0e_NmU]YouTube - Part 1 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z3t4_0Hjh4&feature=related]YouTube -part 2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMjcqMUhrjI&feature=related]YouTube - part3 3[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j44dA9M-gWc]YouTube - PART 4[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egom6-LIxdM&feature=related]YouTube -part 5[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGAr6rLPCqg&feature=related]YouTube - part 6[/ame]

peadarmc

Gay Byrne actually considered this to be one of his greatest regrets! Under strict orders from the top brass at montrose, Gay Byrne did not shake Gerry's hand (its obviously the norm to shake hands no matter who you interview - its pure coutersy whether you agree with the person or not!) This caused a major kuffuffle at the time and in recent times, Gay has gone on record as saying not shaking his hand is something he regrets!

Last edited:

peadarmc

watch this for a laugh.....its old! but Mc Guinness is well capable for him in my opinion! (especially 2.40 onwards....!) His last rebuttal is priceless

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmtjRlpRlj4"]YouTube - Martin McGuinness Vrs Jeremy Paxman[/ame]

peadarmc

i know its wikipedia but the not shaking hands incident is noted here...

The Late Late Show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

relevant section reads....Gerry Adams: . Byrne set up a show, with a panel of public figures from the southern Nationalist population who openly loathed Adams. Byrne himself refused to shake hands with Adams. He maintained confrontational body language, and stayed a distance of over three metres away from Adams throughout the show. However, Adams proved more skillful at debate than was expected. The attempt to damage Adams politically backfired, as it appeared too obvious that he was being 'set up

ManFromDelMonte

Gay Byrne said he regreted not shaking hands with Gerry Adams, not becuase he believed he deserved teh courtesy, but becasue he regretted the publicity Sinn Fein garnered from it.

peadarmc

Gay Byrne said he regreted not shaking hands with Gerry Adams, not becuase he believed he deserved teh courtesy, but becasue he regretted the publicity Sinn Fein garnered from it.
true, i totally accept that! Either way, it was wrong not to shake his hand!
the handshake aside, he was clearly ambushed on that panel and the only one who showed any decency and diplomacy was ahern! That in itself was obvious at the time and prob gained him some sympathy
have a look at the marty interview, its priceless! :)

Oriel27

true, i totally accept that! Either way, it was wrong not to shake his hand!
the handshake aside, he was clearly ambushed on that panel and the only one who showed any decency and diplomacy was ahern! That in itself was obvious at the time and prob gained him some sympathy
have a look at the marty interview, its priceless! :)
I noticed at the end of the gerry adams interview, he hinted at the " Canary Warf" if John Major let the ball drop.... looking back on it now it seems adams knew something like this was going to happen.....

Kerrygold

I noticed at the end of the gerry adams interview, he hinted at the " Canary Warf" if John Major let the ball drop.... looking back on it now it seems adams knew something like this was going to happen.....
:confused:

Canary Warf didn't take place for another 2 years.

Nem

I was going to say, Isle of Dogs wasn't until 1996.

merle haggard

hate to point out the bleeding abvious but there was only a ceasefire because Adams had conned his people into believing the brits intended to leave . Thats why he organised an IRA victory carnival on the Falls road the day of the ceasefire which carried on until the early hours ( I had to travel down the falls road that night with a few associates and we found out that cheering and beeping horns was actually compulsory , our car was surrounded because we refused to until one clown recognised us) Making repeated use of the fact a certain British colonial governer - Peter Brooke - had made a statement claiming Britian had no selfish* strategic or economic interest in Ireland as a nod and wink to his followers that they were going . Along with a Hume Adams strategy that everybody except his own followers was allowed to read . If Major didnt play along with that deception of his own followers , and the penny dropped with them the Brits were actually intent on staying in Ireland , it was highly likely the ceasefire would not last . Mr Adams was trying to point this out , and let Gay Byrne know he was one of the good guys . Ahern understood this . Gaybo and the others didnt cop on until a few years later .

It should be pointed out too Gaybo has never shook the hand of any of the Dublin Monaghan people either despite them being victims of Irelands biggest terrorist atrocity . Because Gaybo has never invited them onto his show . Neither has Pat Kenny . And the late late will never ever in one million years ever permit those poor people onto the national airwaves

* the prefix selfish means Britian does have political and strategic interests in Ireland . However in Britians opinion they arent selfish . Nationalist politicians however spin this as meaning they have no interests in Ireland . Keeping up the necessary deception adams was referring to .

merle haggard

watch this for a laugh.....its old! but Mc Guinness is well capable for him in my opinion! (especially 2.40 onwards....!) His last rebuttal is priceless

YouTube - Martin McGuinness Vrs Jeremy Paxman
but you do realise Minister McGuinness is actually lying to the interviewer? who is highlighting a truth a British minister is deeply uncomfortable with ? doing his job as an interviewer ?

Oriel27

hate to point out the bleeding abvious but there was only a ceasefire because Adams had conned his people into believing the brits intended to leave . Thats why he organised an IRA victory carnival on the Falls road the day of the ceasefire which carried on until the early hours ( I had to travel down the falls road that night with a few associates and we found out that cheering and beeping horns was actually compulsory , our car was surrounded because we refused to until one clown recognised us) Making repeated use of the fact a certain British colonial governer - Peter Brooke - had made a statement claiming Britian had no selfish* strategic or economic interest in Ireland as a nod and wink to his followers that they were going . Along with a Hume Adams strategy that everybody except his own followers was allowed to read . If Major didnt play along with that deception of his own followers , and the penny dropped with them the Brits were actually intent on staying in Ireland , it was highly likely the ceasefire would not last . Mr Adams was trying to point this out , and let Gay Byrne know he was one of the good guys . Ahern understood this . Gaybo and the others didnt cop on until a few years later .

It should be pointed out too Gaybo has never shook the hand of any of the Dublin Monaghan people either despite them being victims of Irelands biggest terrorist atrocity . Because Gaybo has never invited them onto his show . Neither has Pat Kenny . And the late late will never ever in one million years ever permit those poor people onto the national airwaves

* the prefix selfish means Britian does have political and strategic interests in Ireland . However in Britians opinion they arent selfish . Nationalist politicians however spin this as meaning they have no interests in Ireland . Keeping up the necessary deception adams was referring to .
yea and it took the irish government over 30 years later to put up some memorial outside the courthouse in monaghan town.
my da was in monaghan town that day it happened..

Nem

I had to travel down the falls road that night with a few associates and we found out that cheering and beeping horns was actually compulsory , our car was surrounded because we refused to until one clown recognised us.
Oh dear, did yez have Stakeknife in the vehicle there with yez? ;)

merle haggard

thats preciwsely what the late late dont want aired . Especially not the fact the states special branch - some members of whom are deeply implicated with with the prime suspects in those massacres - still to this day harass those victims when they go to state sponsored memorials or hold press conferences which the Irish media ignore but the branch certainly dont.

and im afraid Mr Ahern has some serious questions to answer regarding that matter . as does Michael McDowell and a host of gardai and governemnt ministers from a number of administrations .

Im no fan of Mr Adams but what gaybo did that day was despicable . But it was because he works for a despicable bunch of people . Mr Adams is despicable too in my opinion , but minor league compared to some of the scum that have been welcomed and cheered onto the late late while the forgotten victims of Irelands biggest terrorist atrocity remain persona non grata for 35 years . And will never be let on .

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Context is everything here. SF/IRA had no electroral manadate in this country. Adams was a self confessed (at least at that time) leaer of the IRA , an organisation that was loathed especially after the bombining in Warrington that had brought tens if not hundreds of people out on the streets, saying "not in my name".

The whle bona fides of SF/IRA was open to debate. It's easy for Byrne to say now that he should have shaken Adams' hand, but that's with hindsight. At the time there would (righlty) have been outrage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies