1st World Problems in 3rd World States - 25% of Obese children live in Africa!

Catalpast

Yes folks its hard to believe

I mean number 1 its fantastic that Africa no longer has a Food Problem

- and the Continent continues to see increased standards of living

But on the downside more and more folks down there are suffering from Obesity incl many kids

Not saying I have the solution

- and I would be the 1st to admit I could lose a few pounds myself

I reckon though its not the amount we are eating

- but what we are eating....

Changing dietary habits are creating an obesity crisis in African countries as middle-class people buy their food from supermarkets rather than eating food they grow, a group of international food security experts has warned.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/oct/03/supermarkets-creating-obesity-crisis-african-countries-experts-warn-middle-class-malnutrition

mr_anderson

No surprise at all.

From 2006 ...

More fat people in world than there are starving

FAT people now outnumber the world's starving, a nutrition study has found.

While 800 million still go to bed hungry every night, another 1.3 billion have a body mass index that makes them either overweight or obese, says Barry Popkin, of the Department of Nutrition and Economics at the University of North Carolina.

Professor Popkin has followed the lives of 16,000 people in China since 1989, watching how social and economic changes have affected their diet and health.

"In China in 1989 there were no overweight people," he told the Herald yesterday, before addressing 900 economists on the Gold Coast. "Now, about 25 per cent are overweight or obese."

Similar patterns were appearing in most of Asia, most of urban Africa and the Middle East. "In the developing world it has clearly been a phenomenon of the last 15 years."
More fat people in world than there are starving, study finds - National

razorblade

We are getting fatter as a species look at any old pictures from times past and you are hardpressed to find any fat people.

Niall996

The world produces a third more food than it needs. It's going somewhere.

Niall996

We are getting fatter as a species look at any old pictures from times past and you are hardpressed to find any fat people.
They were too poor and died too young. Being fat was a sign of wealth and success.

Spirit Of Newgrange

watch some tv footage of football fans from the 60s or 1970s compared to today. The difference is shocking. This picture is from the 80s and they would look fat to a fella from just a decade previously. The same bunch today would all be enormous.

Niall996

watch some tv footage of football fans from the 60s or 1970s compared to today. The difference is shocking. This picture is from the 80s and they would look fat to a fella from just a decade previously. The same bunch today would all be enormous.

Maybe those ones worked for a living.

users

One final pull girls...

statsman

Obesity is often associated with food poverty; it's a result of a bad diet.

What's the social calls breakdown for 1st world obesity?

razorblade

Unfortunately Ireland is well and truly heading to among the top of the obesity list, its worse when its children, parents should take responsibility and make sure they are fed a healthy and well balanced diet, the health of kids is essential so as to avoid any health related problems in the future.

New Threads

Most Replies