2 Biggies for LOI Supporters

General Urko

Lads and Ladettes, who like myself follow The LOI, 2 quick questions -

1 Where would you put it in comparisson to other leagues in Europe?

2 How many LOI players could compete at a noticeably higher level successfully?

I would put it approaching League 1 level, the old English Division 3!

A soccer statistics group places us 73 in the world in 2013, just behind Luxembourg! Absurdly it placed The Northern Irish League ahead of us, which is plain nonsense!:mad:

THE STRONGEST NATIONAL LEAGUE OF THE WORLD | IFFHS

Re lads being able to play at a higher level, I would guesstimate between the 2 divisions, there are about 400 players used over the course of a season. In my view 5% or so about 20 would be well capable, on the realsitic law of averages of playing at a higher level. Now of course does does not of itself mean The Premiership over across the water.
The 2 Dundalk lads have gone to a good club in Preston, where they will get a chance.
However, it's a pity that our exports never go to Italy, Spain, Belgium, France and The Netherlands, where they will learn more perhaps than in the rough and tumble of lower level English and Scottish League clubs!

Polly Ticks

However, it's a pity that our exports never go to Italy, Spain, Belgium, France and The Netherlands, where they will learn more perhaps than in the rough and tumble of lower level English and Scottish League clubs!
+1000 This is hugely important. It's not as bad as it was, but many Irish lads are physically smaller and less developed than their peers in the UK. Many of them would be better suited to continental football. It's a real shame, IMO and a loss to the national team down the line too.

I think the LoI punches above its weight. The coefficients are a pretty good measure though.. they are like a league table.. in a league that never ends...

General Urko

1. League One at best, Luxembourg Premier at worst.

2. Very few at the moment, most have gone already.
And as the point has been made, many regress when they are abroad through lack of game time!:mad:

RepublicOfLuas

+1000 This is hugely important. It's not as bad as it was, but many Irish lads are physically smaller and less developed than their peers in the UK. Many of them would be better suited to continental football. It's a real shame, IMO and a loss to the national team down the line too.

I think the LoI punches above its weight. The coefficients are a pretty good measure though.. they are like a league table.. in a league that never ends...
Some Scandinavian clubs are often reported to be sniffing around some LOI players. However, I think it would be better to teach kids technique and awareness before tactics. That way they will fit in with any system they are asked to play when they become professional.

Polly Ticks

Most Irish lads are full of anxiety. We don't react well to change. Roy Keane is the last example of an Irish player that kept pushing himself mentally.
I saw him in a game just before he left for Notts Forrest and then again a year later in a pre-season friendly where he lined out with Cobh Ramblers (IIRC).

Everybody was talking about the massive change in his physique.. it was insane. Some people were maliciously mumbling about steroids.

But I think it was that sheer mental strength and determination and belief that you're talking about.

corporal punishment

English 3rd division (old money) is probably accurate but Luxembourg?.
Having said that the Prem isn't what Sky would like us to believe. Watford v Palace last week was absolute shyte.

The_SR

Where is Luxembourg coming from? Loi clubs are light years ahead of them.

Comparing with England is facilile. There are 60m of them. Compare with countries of a similar population. In that context the league is middling.

General Urko

Where is Luxembourg coming from? Loi clubs are light years ahead of them.

Comparing with England is facilile. There are 60m of them. Compare with countries of a similar population. In that context the league is middling.
Croatia, Denmark, Switzerland, Slovakia are all well ahead of us! Finland may be on a rough par!

Polly Ticks

I modestly propose banning rugby and Gaelic football.. two travesties of sports. No one would notice.

Rugby and Gaelic football demean us as a people, with both 'sports' amounting to little more than a waste of healthy sporting, cultural, moral and mental development.

Hurling and association football (two beauties of sports) on the other hand, should receive the most investment from the state and most promotion from the media.

If this policy was adopted in general, I think it would be good for the LoI.

Polly Ticks

Some Scandinavian clubs are often reported to be sniffing around some LOI players. However, I think it would be better to teach kids technique and awareness before tactics. That way they will fit in with any system they are asked to play when they become professional.
The focus on winning at alll costs at schoolboy level is also part of the problem.. so big lads get picked for schoolboy teams.. and they don't have to play good football to win matches.

I'm out of touch, but I thought I heard somewhere that under new rules they did away with wins and points at some schoolboy levels.. until they reach a certain age.. maybe I dreamed it..

RepublicOfLuas

The focus on winning at alll costs at schoolboy level is also part of the problem.. so big lads get picked for schoolboy teams.. and they don't have to play good football to win matches.

I'm out of touch, but I thought I heard somewhere that under new rules they did away with wins and points at some schoolboy levels.. until they reach a certain age.. maybe I dreamed it..
The FAI Coaching Pathway instructs that technique and fun is priority. I'm coaching at under 8 level and scores are not recorded by the coaches. The kids can count if they want, but all we instruct is "go out and practice what you did in training and see what happens".

Polly Ticks

The FAI Coaching Pathway instructs that technique and fun is priority. I'm coaching at under 8 level and scores are not recorded by the coaches. The kids can count if they want, but all we instruct is "go out and practice what you did in training and see what happens".
That seems a very positive development. Reminds me of the famous Dutch approach.. is that Dutch fella still working with the FAI? Just curious was that one of his initiatives or whether it was already in place.

RepublicOfLuas

That seems a very positive development. Reminds me of the famous Dutch approach.. is that Dutch fella still working with the FAI? Just curious was that one of his initiatives or whether it was already in place.
Bingo! Yesh!

Lots of positive changes, but some of the schoolboy clubs in Dublin aren't happy with him.

razorblade

I modestly propose banning rugby and Gaelic football.. two travesties of sports. No one would notice.

Rugby and Gaelic football demean us as a people, with both 'sports' amounting to little more than a waste of healthy sporting, cultural, moral and mental development.

Hurling and association football (two beauties of sports) on the other hand, should receive the most investment from the state and most promotion from the media.

If this policy was adopted in general, I think it would be good for the LoI.
Fans of gaelic football and rugby might.

New Threads