• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

2 cent & 1 cent coins still in circulation - Why?

Clareboy

I thought that 2 cent and 1 cent coins had been taken out of circulation since October 2015. Why am I still getting those coins from shops? Why can the shops not round up the prices to 5 cent and stop clogging up customers pockets and purses with that rubbish? I thought that the shops would be glad to get rid of those small coins. I would like someone from the retail sector to enlighten me.

wexfordman

I'm still entitled to my change, so they cannot stop circulating them

Accidental sock

The idea was abandoned for fear it would cause another catastrophic recession...

It was anticipated, nobody in the country would have two cents to rub together.

hammer

Withing a few months they should all be gone.

See some customers still use them to buy stuff also :)

SEAMAI

It seemed to be left up to the individual companies to decide what to do, which is pointless. I've even come across shops where some staff members round and others don't. What really annoys me though are self service tills in some supermarkets will give you half a fistful of 1 cent coins in your change.

che schifo

The idea was abandoned for fear it would cause another catastrophic recession...

It was anticipated, nobody in the country would have two cents to rub together.
It could also significantly raise the price of tentative and/or contentious statements of one's opinions..

Cork

This was a measure to benefit shops more than the consumer.

You are still entitled to your correct change - some shops don't give you the option.

hammer

This was a measure to benefit shops more than the consumer.

You are still entitled to your correct change - some shops don't give you the option.
Firstly , it was a measure to save the exchequer money

Watcher2

I thought that 2 cent and 1 cent coins had been taken out of circulation since October 2015. Why am I still getting those coins from shops? Why can the shops not round up the prices to 5 cent and stop clogging up customers pockets and purses with that rubbish? I thought that the shops would be glad to get rid of those small coins. I would like someone from the retail sector to enlighten me.
Round up? Muppet!!!!!

No wonder we are constantly screwed in this country when people willingly request a good financial shafting.

Clareboy

Round up? Muppet!!!!!

No wonder we are constantly screwed in this country when people willingly request a good financial shafting.
How dare you! Financial shafting! I could really paint the town red with all those 1 cent and 2 cent coins!

Spanner Island

Withing a few months they should all be gone.

See some customers still use them to buy stuff also :)
This is not a €urozone wide exercise... only 5 other members have done likewise... (Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Hungary)...

>>> One and two cent coins to be withdrawn - Independent.ie

Not until ALL €urozone members adopt this policy will these coins be gone... and even then it would probably take years for them to be phased out...

Plus with many transactions rounding up... this is just another opportunity for the Rip Off Ireland merchants to indulge their greed.

What really f***s me off is retailers still pricing .99 when we all know we aren't getting a cent back.

wexfordman

This is not a €urozone wide exercise... only 5 other members have done likewise... (Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Hungary)...

>>> One and two cent coins to be withdrawn - Independent.ie

Not until ALL €urozone members adopt this policy will these coins be gone... and even then it would probably take years for them to be phased out...

Plus with many transactions rounding up... this is just another opportunity for the Rip Off Ireland merchants to indulge their greed.

What really f***s me off is retailers still pricing .99 when we all know we aren't getting a cent back.
Charites would be hit by this also, I would have fairly regulalry thrown a few cent into the coutnertop charity box!!

blokesbloke

I don't like this idea at all at all but if it has to be done, then all prices should be in multiples of 5c.

If there are no 1c or 2c coins then it is a nonsense to price something as 99 cents or whatever.

There should be no need for rounding - if every price ends in "0" or "5" then it is honest and upfront about how much a product costs and you will always get change if necessary.

Saying something is 99 cents if it is not possible to actually pay 99 cents cash for it is misleading. Just admit it costs €1 or reduce the price to 95 cents.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
I don't like this idea at all at all but if it has to be done, then all prices should be in multiples of 5c.

If there are no 1c or 2c coins then it is a nonsense to price something as 99 cents or whatever.

There should be no need for rounding - if every price ends in "0" or "5" then it is honest and upfront about how much a product costs and you will always get change if necessary.

Saying something is 99 cents if it is not possible to actually pay 99 cents cash for it is misleading. Just admit it costs €1 or reduce the price to 95 cents.
It's only for cash transactions. If you pay by credit/debit card there is no rounding. I don't think I use cash at all these days - except in a pub.

blokesbloke

It's only for cash transactions. If you pay by credit/debit card there is no rounding. I don't think I use cash at all these days - except in a pub.
Fair enough but to me if they accept cash as payment then they shouldn't be advertising prices you cannot pay in cash.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Fair enough but to me if they accept cash as payment then they shouldn't be advertising prices you cannot pay in cash.
I agree if you just want to buy one thing .... but if you're buying more than one item the rounding only takes palce at the till. So, your 99c item may well only cost 99c - depending on what else you buy. Finland never issued 1c or 2c coins and always had rounding.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
What will do out west if they do not have pennies to cover dead eyes?:shock:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies