• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

2 cents tax on mobile texts how much a year

PUFF DADDY

Ok, listening to Matt Cooper today and heard that there are 77 million texts sent a day and 24 million phone calls a day.

Ok, basic maths HELP as my mobile phone calculator cant take it..

How much would this be in revenue for a year, I repeat 2 cent on a text.:|:confused:

Ultor

€562.1m.... i think (in a 365 day year)

0r 1.54m a day, or €64166 per hour or €1069 per minute or €17.84 per second

PUFF DADDY

Ok, that's what we thought here, well why not eh ? the kids don't stop texting, think about it, could not believe the amount of texts sent a day here...

easy revenue intake ??

firefighter

I think SMS transmissions have peaked. SMS is a 1990s technology that will fade away slowly.

Internet-enabled phones facilitate instant messaging applications and the nature of communication (social networking sites, etc.) is shifting.

Ultor

Easy way to ride every consumer in the country.

I wonder would it apply to people who are roaming here,

Are there any competition issues arising?

TradCat

That's assuming the tax would not discourage texting which of course it would. As people found their credit disappearing faster they would text less.

PUFF DADDY

I think SMS transmissions have peaked. SMS is a 1990s technology that will fade away slowly.

Internet-enabled phones facilitate instant messaging applications and the nature of communication (social networking sites, etc.) is shifting.
Fair point, but why not just put it on now while it is still in use.

jackryan

Ok lets kill this myth!!
first of all packages mean loads of people get free texts!
second off a tax on texts is announced well I know for one I'd cut back on my texts (look at how much less plastic bags will be used)

Tax texts but don't expect The income you are projecting!

slx

That's EXACTLY what we need to do to encourage the smart economy - put a big hefty tax on telecommunications!

:eek::shock::shock::shock:

Ultor

The OP asked how much the state would receive if tax was applied at current usage rates. Of course usage would go down with the application of a tax on texts, (I imagine texting is quite elastic in nature unlike, say, bread and milk)

PUFF DADDY

Ok lets kill this myth!!
first of all packages mean loads of people get free texts!
second off a tax on texts is announced well I know for one I'd cut back on my texts (look at how much less plastic bags will be used)

oh ok I am living in the 1990s so, just wrecking my head for an easy revenue intake with little pain

jackryan

The OP asked how much the state would receive if tax was applied at current usage rates. Of course usage would go down with the application of a tax on texts, (I imagine texting is quite elastic in nature unlike, say, bread and milk)
But you don't even know how many are free/Bundles etc. So its kinda like how long is a piece of string!

Ultor

But you don't even know how many are free/Bundles etc. So its kinda like how long is a piece of string!
Very true but I only answered the question I was asked (I know, useless defence!!)

Could one presume that the tax could be applied to bundled texts at a lower rate if they really wanted to screw us?

bagel

I have free texts to Meteor numbers.
I would have no problem paying a 2cent tax on all of my texts provided that all members of the Oireachtas lose their mobile phone allowances & pay their own way for a change.

captainwillard

That's EXACTLY what we need to do to encourage the smart economy - put a big hefty tax on telecommunications!

:eek::shock::shock::shock:
Texts = Smart Economy? And I thought they were the province of giggly teenagers.

hmmm

A tax on SMS would only add to our smart economy image so expertly promoted by our Minister for Creationism. The problem in this country isn't that we don't pay enough tax, it is that we are not getting value for money from our current taxes.