• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

2 Gardai beaten up by children , are they becoming weak?

silverharp

ok kids can be a little more feral these days compared to a generation ago but in the meantime height restrictions have been done away with and instead there is just some general fitness requirement whatever that is and secondly we have female gardai out walking the beat who probably only have the strength of the average 15 year old boy. are we compromising standards, sending out a message of weakness to the scroats and in a case like this is the male garda being put at risk because his sidekick cant step up? technology can only go so far short of designing Iron man or Judge Dredd suits for the female gardai or should we accept that female gardai or only average size men are a menace to themselves and the general public and should hire accordingly and forget the equality cr@p?

Two gardaí in hospital after attack by Dublin youths | BreakingNews.ie

Two gardaí were hospitalised last night after being attacked by a gang of youths in Dublin's north inner city.
A male and female garda were set upon while on patrol on Manor Street just after midnight.
Both were brought to the Mater Hospital and have since been discharged.
One teenage boy has been arrested and is being detained at Bridewell Garda Station.

Therightroad

You may have a point, they wouldnt have done it 20/30 years ago to 2 strong male guards from the country....the real issue though is they know nothing will happen them if they get caught.....The judges in this country are living in cloud cuckoo land worrying about their next vineyard holiday in the south of france not caring about towns destroyed by scum!

blokesbloke

I can just imagine if they'd tried to defend themselves - there would have been a hand-wringing P.ie thread about out of control brutal Garda attacking defenceless children.

Yes, from what I can see the Gardaí are exceptionally soft by international standards, but that doesn't stop them being regularly accused of brutality.

Frankly most people in the Irish Republic haven't a clue what police brutality looks like.

I notice it in the UK too - people seem to get especially upset if they see police using their batons to hit people with.

I always ask people what they thought the batons were for.

They are a stick designed to hit people with. They have no other function, and police officers are meant to use them, otherwise they would not be issued with them.

Prester Jim

Despite what you may have seen in Steven Segal movies, enough little scumbags could beat anyone up.
Do we even know how many there were? Whether they came up behind the cops or attacked without warning?
Armchair toughguys...
:lol:

Rural

A fair amount of teenage children are huge these days and carrying a lot of weight as well, I taught a few 16 year olds who were a good head taller than me and had no problem threatening me either, they even said that the courts could do nothing about it.

Who'd be a Garda?

greengoose2

ok kids can be a little more feral these days compared to a generation ago but in the meantime height restrictions have been done with and instead there is just some general fitness requirement whatever that is and secondly we have female gardai out walking the beat who probably only have the strength of the average 15 year old boy. are we compromising standards, sending out a message of weakness to the scroats and in a case like this is the male garda being put at risk because his sidekick cant step up? technology can only go so far short of designing Iron man or Judge Dredd suits for the female gardai or should we accept that female gardai or only average size men are a menace to themselves and the general public and should hire accordingly and forget the equality cr@p?

Two gardaí in hospital after attack by Dublin youths | BreakingNews.ie
A gang of youths and children? Which was it? The thread title is a tad deficient in
logic also!

The title of the article in the Independent is also poor in logic! Perhaps the author is also the OP!

Last edited:

silverharp

Despite what you may have seen in Steven Segal movies, enough little scumbags could beat anyone up.
Do we even know how many there were? Whether they came up behind the cops or attacked without warning?
Armchair toughguys...
:lol:
sure but want the odds in your favor

silverharp

A gang of youths and children? Which was it? The thread title is a tad deficient in
logic also!

The title of the article is also poor in logic! Perhaps the author is also the OP!
in Ireland a child is anyone under 18, nothing inaccurate

Polly Ticks

Who'd be a Garda?
Seriously.. day after day putting up with verbal and physical abuse.. boggles the mind how they cope with it..

and that's just from their colleagues! (boom boom)

asset test

Two Gardai being surrounded by a mad pack of feral (high and drunk possibly aswell) teenagers would be impossible to fight off.

No CCTV in the area for the colleagues in the station to slap down their doughnuts and come to the rescue? I'd say trying to use the radio would have been impossible.

Look, whatever about the perception of the Gardai, they do face a lot of sh!t every day.

I wouldn't do their job for lottery money.

silverharp

I can just imagine if they'd tried to defend themselves - there would have been a hand-wringing P.ie thread about out of control brutal Garda attacking defenceless children.

Yes, from what I can see the Gardaí are exceptionally soft by international standards, but that doesn't stop them being regularly accused of brutality.

Frankly most people in the Irish Republic haven't a clue what police brutality looks like.

I notice it in the UK too - people seem to get especially upset if they see police using their batons to hit people with.

They are a stick designed to hit people with. They have no other function, and police officers are meant to use them, otherwise they would not be issued with them.
I'd qualify that , there is one discussion over how quick police use their batons to make you comply with something or resisting arrest, I assume if you are actually being attacked its erm fair cop

gerhard dengler

Two Gardai being surrounded by a mad pack of feral (high and drunk possibly aswell) teenagers would be impossible to fight off.

No CCTV in the area for the colleagues in the station to slap down their doughnuts and come to the rescue? I'd say trying to use the radio would have been impossible.

Look, whatever about the perception of the Gardai, they do face a lot of sh!t every day.

I wouldn't do their job for lottery money.
Manor Street.

Manor Street isn't that far away from where, or so we're told, there is a heavy presence of Gardai "on the beat" in the North Strand area. If Gardai are being attacked there should be sufficient resources in nearby vicinities to support Gardai under attack.

SEAMAI

+1

On my travels over the years I've seen some serious police brutality, even in "enlightened" western Europe, you're completely right, most people in this country haven't a clue what the term actually means. I'm personally in favour of the Gardaí being a lot tougher.

Last edited:

Ardillaun

I recall an incident from College MANY years ago when a classmate and his bud were set upon by a similar crew on the quays one night after a mighty feed of porter which had rendered self-defence rather difficult. The friend scarpered at remarkable speed and left our lad to keep them at bay. "I ran off to get help", the future FG minister explained the next day.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies