2 old guys to tie the knot here - they dont love each other & they are not GAY! -Go Figure.....

Catalpast

2 old guys to tie the knot here - they dont love each other & they are not GAY! -Go Figure.....

Two men who have been 'best friends' for 29 years have announced they are to get married next month in Co Tipperary.
While that in itself is not an unusual development, the story is made more interesting by the fact neither man is gay.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1215/927697-tax-marriage/

This whole thing just becomes more Bizarre as time goes by....:|

Surely the Registry Office does not have to sanction this?

Mercurial

Because opposite-sex marriages are never marriages of convenience...

The referendum was two years ago. Get over it.

D

Deleted member 45466

Two men who have been 'best friends' for 29 years have announced they are to get married next month in Co Tipperary.
While that in itself is not an unusual development, the story is made more interesting by the fact neither man is gay.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1215/927697-tax-marriage/

This whole thing just becomes more Bizarre as time goes by....:|

Surely the Registry Office does not have to sanction this?
Comedy gold.

dizillusioned

Fantastic for them.
Think of all the presents they have bought friends and relatives who got married over the years.... they deserve to have the same in return!!!

JamieD

I'm perfectly fine with this. The fact that neither is gay means nothing to me. How many marriages in Ireland over the decades were between men and women who weren't really in love? Their weddings were still sanctioned.

I think the only scandal here is that in order to give something he owns to his best friend without the government biting the friends arm off is to marry him before he dies. That's the scandal.

Bea C

I heard them on liveline.
What the f**k are they advertising it for?

Herr Rommel

The sacrament of marriage lost all meaning years ago when it become open season and not just between a man and a woman, so now if these two old friends can use the system to beat the man fair dues to them.

Gin Soaked

Rarely this cynical Merc
Ok. I rarely agree with Merc. But a huge number of marriages are based on cynicism. Even if there is sexual attraction or compatability. Which can fade.

Their lives are probably so intertwined that the commitment and respect they feel for each other is more than many young couples...

JamieD

Draw awareness to the situation, maybe? Married people have enjoyed benefits under the state that single people don't. I've always opposed this for as long as I understood it.

Spanner Island

They obviously want to highlight the bias in laws that favour married people and perhaps to change the laws so that single people aren't discriminated against...

Good luck to them... I hope they prevail.

Mercurial

Rarely this cynical Merc
According to the story, they're getting married because one of them is the other's carer, they've been friends for years, and one wants to bequeath his house to the other without paying massive amounts of tax.

Seems fair enough to me.

Spanner Island

According to the story, they're getting married because one of them is the other's carer, they've been friends for years, and one wants to bequeath his house to the other without paying massive amounts of tax.

Seems fair enough to me.
That's because it is.

I suspect the OP'er will be disappointed at where this is going though... :-(

Dame_Enda

It seems to be marriage for tax purposes. Which I suspect sometimes happens with straight people too. I see no problem.

Bill

That's because it is.

I suspect the OP'er will be disappointed at where this is going though... :-(
If it does lead to the same inheritance rules being applied to unmarried couples , guess who will be the first out of the blocks shrieking about how it is an attack on the family.

D

Deleted member 17573

Seems fair enough to me.
Fine - but if they were two brothers living on a wee sheep farm up the side of a mountain you'd be agin' it.

fat finger

Both of them obviously gayer than Christmas, sad to hear such denial in this day and age but worse still was it to hear Joe Duffy (on 400k salary from the taxpayer) congratulating them at the end of the piece for being such cute hoor tax avoiders

Half Nelson

The sacrament of marriage lost all meaning years ago when it become open season and not just between a man and a woman, so now if these two old friends can use the system to beat the man fair dues to them.
The sacrament of marriage is still fully intact; Catholic marriage is still the gold standard.

But civil marriage is now an exercise in paperwork or sentimental mush.

silverharp

IHT is a very cynical tax , i'd applaud anyone that finds a way around it

Ellen Ripley

Years ago I knew two girls--both hetero--who tried to negotiate reduced gym membership fees by claiming that they were a couple.

They did it for a lark, and as a protest against excessive loadings on singletons, but they succeeded in getting the 'family' discount. :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies