20 after ecstasy tabs were all the rage. Where are the "damaged"users of this drug?

skev

Website
www.facebook.com
Good article in the Times about ecstasy today. After all the panic it turns out that ecstasy didn't have any long term effects that the media and government said it had.

Should we reclassify this relatively harmless drug so that we can harm gangsters and criminals and start making a real effort at tackling crime in this country?

Why bring this up now? Because there has been widespread coverage of a UK study into the societal and health impact of a range of drugs. Led by a former government adviser, who was sacked last year after challenging the refusal to reclassify banned drugs, the report was published in the Lancet. It looked at nine ways in which drugs could damage the individual and seven in which they harmed others and gave them scores out of 100. Its headline finding, and the thing even the casual reader or viewer will have picked up on, was that alcohol (72) was considered more harmful than heroin (55) or crack (54).

Drawing less attention were the drugs near the bottom of the rankings, where ecstasy earned a mere nine out of 100. (Magic mushrooms – the focus of relatively recent moral outrage and legal bludgeoning – is ranked least harmful with five points.)
That was the ecstasy, so where's the agony we were warned of? - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 08, 2010

Last edited:

Cincinnatus

Website
www.supernatural.ie
didnt seem to do David Cameron any harm...or did it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=expvTEsQjTE]YouTube - Cameron Raving[/ame]

Great Days! I did more than my fair share & have absolutely no regrets at all. There is some downside to prolonged use but they were far outweighed by the benefits.

stoichkov

my brother used to be an enthusiastic consumer of them, and now says that the quality of the ones currently doing the rounds is truly awful.

Santos

A different study will come out next week and say the opposite. I don't know enough about this area to know who to trust but every week there seems to be conflicting studies!

Cincinnatus

Website
www.supernatural.ie
my brother used to be an enthusiastic consumer of them, and now says that the quality of the ones currently doing the rounds is truly awful.
There is no comparison. In the early '90s football hooliganism almost entirely disappeared in England, it resurfaced again with the decline in ecstasy quality.

johntrenchard

There is no comparison. In the early '90s football hooliganism almost entirely disappeared in England, it resurfaced again with the decline in ecstasy quality.
thats actually not a bad point , and accurate...
plus you got the rise of the English Defence League more recently.

The Tories will probably do some MI6 backroom deal to up the quality. After all they were in power when the whole acid house "summer of love" thing kicked off originally.

Tea Party Patriot

As a libertarian I believe all drugs should be legalised, collapsing the black market criminal economy.

However in the case of ecstasy or any other drug I wouldn't hold with the arguement that use is entirely safe for anyone. There have been a lot of deaths from ecstasy use, but there have also been a lot of deaths from smoking and alcohol as well.

If government came to a position where drugs were regulated the same as alcohol and cigarettes it would go a long way towards solving a lot of criminal activity in our country.

We pay every day for taking the high moral ground on making drugs illegal in the form of muggings, roberies, gang warfare etc.

In my honest opinion the big difference between these crime rates today and crime rates in the 1950s is that these substances are now illegal. The UK had 500 registered morphine addicts before they made it illegal, once it got into the hands of the pushers they had 15000within a few years.

I do not approve of drug use or personally use them, but it should be a choice people get to make for themselves. Denying them this choice is actually forcing the rest of us to suffer in the form of serious crime.

Cincinnatus

Website
www.supernatural.ie
thats actually not a bad point , and accurate...
plus you got the rise of the English Defence League more recently.

The Tories will probably do some MI6 backroom deal to up the quality. After all they were in power when the whole acid house "summer of love" thing kicked off originally.
hmm & seeing as Irish seratonin levels are at an all time low & politicians are starting to get "lynched" maybe they should be handing out free yolks instead of cheese!

borntorum

Here's that Prime Time from 1993 that the article refers to:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts15HoRXWHQ]YouTube - PrimeTime Investigates - Ecstasy use in Ireland 1993 - 1of3[/ame]

The 'ravers' they interviewed seemed pretty mongoed all right, though from the looks of them I'd say that was as much due to genetic factors as chemical

Superindigoman

Were are these users, inpatients and outpatients of our mental health services and probably will be for the rest of there lives, seem to forget to look into that part.

Goldencircle

There have been a lot of deaths from ecstasy use, but there have also been a lot of deaths from smoking and alcohol as well.
How many people have been killed directly by ecstasy though ?
Not because of acting the eejit or not being clued up on what their doing.

Anybody whoever thought this was a bad thing was having a laugh.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8jggR2nQCM]YouTube - Biology Party & Clapham Common July 1989[/ame]

:)

Mister men

That's them on the boardwalk by the liffey supping cans of dutch gold.

Panopticon

Were are these users, inpatients and outpatients of our mental health services and probably will be for the rest of there lives, seem to forget to look into that part.
Banning alcohol now are we?

There are tons more dependent alcoholics in this country than needy ravers, but alcoholics are mostly old, and old people prefer to criticise young people than other old people.

rubensni

It was the bloody Tories who closed the massive rave scene down by allowing plod to close down outdoor parties where (and this is actually the wording of the law) the music was "wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats" :lol:

It was a moral panic led by the Daily Fail, Express, etc. that was the real reason the whole scene was killed off. Auld ones angry about young people having fun. Plus ca change.

chriskavo

I loved ecstasy but I learned that it definitely needed to be taken in moderation. Sometimes I would get the most horrific comedowns and wouldn't be able to eat for days. However, that was rare and I usually had a great time on them plus my face and jaw used to do the most unusual expressions or so I was told anyway.

greenwithirony

A friend of mine recently claimed that 50% of first time users of this drug die on first use. I pointed out that there is no evidence for this, but he insisted that this statistic is not shown as drug deaths do not result in a toxicology report, but recorded as an overdose. Any substance to his claim?
I'm pretty sure that this can be disproved anecdotally.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies