• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

20 cent increase on the pint in the budget?

gijoe

Hewson

Harry McGee put forward this as a possibility in the Times this morning. As well as having the publicans of Ireland wailing like banshees it will drive ordinary drinkers around the bend. So the message is to stock up with the current offers in the supermarkets before Baldy gets up on his feet on Budget day!

Noonan's choice of cuts and tax hikes severely curtailed by three promises - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 05, 2012
If he does that he might as well do a tour of the pubs of Ireland lobbing petrol bombs through the windows.

At least their demise would be quicker than the death by a thousand cuts they're enduring at the moment.

bob3367

€4.30 for a .330 btl of Heino in a pub.... €1.00 in an offie.

Tell those stupid goons to get sense.
I only drink in the pub, its more about talking shyte, having a game of pool and a laugh than the pint, eventhough I do enjoy my pint.

If this was passed on pubs would simply close, not a major issue in urban areas, but it would decminate rural communities.

Truth.ie

I'd like to know the salaries of people, who call for price increases before I take them seriously.

richie268

If you can logically reason it, it can logically happen but most publicans are on interest only and are basically dead in the water waiting for the banking sharks to make a move therefore it cannot be reasoned as it is all about the to big to fail.
BTW in my mind the latter is a sin.

ruserious

Perhaps young people can teach the elders a thing or two about a thing called 'pre-drinking'.

Truth.ie

I only drink in the pub, its more about talking shyte, having a game of pool and a laugh than the pint, eventhough I do enjoy my pint.

If this was passed on pubs would simply close, not a major issue in urban areas, but it would decminate rural communities.
Not to mention the health issues of a Nation with a culture of "home drinking".

ergo2

Heck I remember selling pints for 1s/9p in the fifties.

There was a view that the Government would fall if the pint went to half a crown 2s/6p,

A shilling was equivalent to about €0.04

gijoe

Maybe if it was phrased as a couple of Euro extra for a bottle of Champagne then the Labour Party Ministers might oppose it! :)

Hewson

Perhaps young people can teach the elders a thing or two about a thing called 'pre-drinking'.
Is that like pre-sex, only wetter?

ruserious

Heck I remember selling pints for 1s/9p in the fifties.

There was a view that the Government would fall if the pint went to half a crown 2s/6p,

A shilling was equivalent to about €0.04
I'm sure you would remember too the cheap drink in the mess?

stakerwallace

I remember fellows saying they would follow it to a £1 a pint. More like a fiver nowadays but few enough followers. Bar trade is in bits all over the country. A night out with Dick Turpen would be less ruinous.

podge79

already paid 5.60 for a pint in a dublin pub last week. unsurprisingly I'm a home drinker now.

Hewson

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies