• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

20% of Irish Children going hungry: Is poverty or fecklessness the cause?

IbrahaimMohamad

A Report conducted by the Health Promotion Research Centre at NUI Galway, which studied 16,000 children between the ages of 9 and 18 years old found that 14% of those surveyed never have breakfast up 1% from the Study figures in 2006.

The Irish Health Behaviour in School Aged Children Report of 2010 found that 21% of Children report going hungry with younger Children from lower social economic groups being much more likely to experience hunger.

20% of Irish children have gone to school hungry - RTÉ News

Given that Irish welfare rates are in some cases several times the rate payable in other EU Countries from whom we effectively borrow to fund our deficit it begs the question how much of the problem is related to fecklessness and poor parenting, and how much is related to genuine poverty?

Could the phenomenal growth of the Gambling Industry in Ireland be related to the problem and should it be curtailed?

Are the new working poor paying too much to banks to afford to take care of their families?

Do parents need training to budget, plan and prepare nutritious meals?

The other strange development is that there is a big increase in obesity among Irish Children.

How can the State best look after the welfare of vulnerable neglected Children?

tigerben

Children going hungry to school, because they go to bed late, get up late and many parents don't get up in time to make a breakfast. Go by any school in the morning and you will see some child eating crisps or a cereal bar going into school. But of course no blame must be put on parents in regards to their children, responsibility is a dirty word these days.

IbrahaimMohamad

Children going hungry to school, because they go to bed late, get up late and many parents don't get up in time to make a breakfast. Go by any school in the morning and you will see some child eating crisps or a cereal bar going into school. But of course no blame must be put on parents in regards to their children, responsibility is a dirty word these days.
Methinks that advertising and the popular notions of body image are promoting fasting among some children too!

Ask the kids whether there is any tangible difference between "poverty" or "fecklessness".

stakerwallace

In my lifetime and I'm in my mid sixties, I have seen (in general terms, admittedly) a reversal of sizes and social class. Poor children tended go be skinny and even emaciated, while often better off kids were plumper and that was in the fifties. Nowadays, many poor kids are bordering on fat or quite obese, while their more well-off equivalents are the thinner ones, though not emaciated. Cheap sugary foods, education and hard -sell advertsing must be to blame.

pedagogus

A lot of DEIS schools like my own find it necessary to run breakfast clubs before school. Our canteen now oñly does healthy options. Signs on, we only have two cases of obesity. One I would describe as a form of child abuse but the mother is beyond help, I'm afraid.

IbrahaimMohamad

A lot of DEIS schools like my own find it necessary to run breakfast clubs before school. Our canteen now oñly does healthy options. Signs on, we only have two cases of obesity. One I would describe as a form of child abuse but the mother is beyond help, I'm afraid.
Is there any program to assist families who are not feeding their children before school? Why not get social workers involved?

tigerben

I feel so sorry for fat children, when I was in getting my daughter a school skirt ,I checked the rail of skirts, up to size 20. Size 20 in the name of god why would anyone do that to their kids.

IbrahaimMohamad

I blame a lack of diversity.
If there's Irish going hungry we need more African immigration
- to teach us the fine art of anthropophagi.
Can we afford more diversity however desireable it may be, as we are already borrowing €13 billion this year to support our dependent population?

stakerwallace

I can only endorse the above and the great work that is done in feeding these kids. I found in my former school that several kids were sent out hungry but given money as well to buy something in a shop by parents. Often 9 year olds will just buy junk. I would have too at that age.

sadmal

There is no need for any child to go to school hungry. I went to school when there was real poverty and we didn't have to have breakfast clubs.

pedagogus

Is there any program to assist families who are not feeding their children before school? Why not get social workers involved?
We do get a little money from the DES. We also get sponsorship from past pupils. This sort of thing doesn't directly concern social workers who have huge caseloads.

pedagogus

There is no need for any child to go to school hungry. I went to school when there was real poverty and we didn't have to have breakfast clubs.
Of course. I'm speaking in shorthand when I say we are a DEIS school.

sondagefaux

How much would it cost to give your kids a bowl of porridge, a glass of juice, and a couple of slices of toast before sending them off to school?

I sincerely doubt that poverty is the underlying cause of this. Poor parenting skills, combined with a lack of knowledge of healthy eating options is behind this. The parents of all kids who regularly turn up at school not having eaten breakfast should be required to attend compulsory parenting, budgeting and nutrition classes. One of each should be enough to get give them all the information they need to look after their kids properly. If it continues after the classes have been done, it's time for stricter measures.

sadmal

We do get a little money from the DES. We also get sponsorship from past pupils. This sort of thing doesn't directly concern social workers who have huge caseloads.

Sorry but I disagree. If parents are not feeling their children and those children are going to school hungry then it is a matter for the state to get involved.

chef35

More than 20% of Irish children have at some stage gone to bed or to school feeling hungry, according to the results of a new survey.[I][/I]

I always take these reports with a pinch of salt, the figures are around 2% up on 2006, Also the age group covered (9 to 18), would mislead the results, as teenagers have irregular eating habits. Yes unfortunatly , some children are hungry as a result of poverty, or poor parenting, but these stats are not reflective of this group.

hairylemon

Unfortunately, that would be another example of the nanny state, the problem it seems is that some parents are clueless and would rather drink themselves into a stupor,or buy their 20 john player blue rather than feed their kids properly, the fact is, food is actually quite cheap, as long as you avoid takeaways and processed foods.

It would be interesting to see how many people can actually prepare food from raw materials and not merely rely on microwavable garbage, it appears that the parents need to be educated as much as the kids do.

More than 20% of Irish children have at some stage gone to bed or to school feeling hungry, according to the results of a new survey.[I][/I]

I always take these reports with a pinch of salt, the figures are around 2% up on 2006, Also the age group covered (9 to 18), would mislead the results, as teenagers have irregular eating habits. Yes unfortunatly , some children are hungry as a result of poverty, or poor parenting, but these stats are not reflective of this group.
Have you ever been involved in an actual study of this nature, and been involved in crunching the figures?

I've done that

Give me some data. Or STFU.

freewillie

Do you realise how much a six pack of dutch gold and 20 johnplayer blue are ?

Simon.D

Judging by the behavior of a group of feral young fellas I had the displeasure of interacting with earlier, I can only come the conclusion that many kids in this country are without a functioning parent..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies