• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

20% stop claiming dole after 66,000 unemployed called to justify their Dole Claim!

potholedogger

Some 13,000 unemployed people have stopped claiming dole in the first six months of 2012 after being called to interview by Social Welfare Staff. Some 66,000 people were called to interview in the forst 6 months of 2012 alone.

While many people are struggling on Social Welfare there is strong evidence to suggest some are moonlighting in the black economy draining scarce resources that might support those genuinely claiming dole payments.

Half the 13,000 who stopped claiming, left before attending for interview while the other half dropped off after attending an intiial interview before attending a secound round of interviews.

Will people who are doing nixers and working while they are on the Dole, be reported by the communities they live in?

Is the black economy really widespread?

Self employed people can claim a social welfare payment if their self employed earnings are under a certain threshold. Clearly their is a route to work into a sustainable self employed income without claiming illegally!

What has become of the 13,000 who dropped their claims? Did they find work? Did they emigrate?

Selfemployedsupports.ie - information for self-employed people whose incomes are reduced - provided by the Citizens Information Board

13,000 drop dole claims after order to meet welfare staff - National News - Independent.ie

Northsideman

Will people who are doing nixers and working while they are on the Dole, be reported by the communities they live in?

No we are not informers, that is ingrained in our very being as Irish folk and Yes the black economy is massive and getting bigger by the day. People not have a fuk them attitude to officialdom.

potholedogger

If the Government really wanted to clamp down on Social Welfare Fraud they would maintain a public registar of all people's names who are claiming and how much they are claiming!

Northsideman

If the Government really wanted to clamp down on Social Welfare Fraud they would maintain a public registar of all people's names who are claiming and how much they are claiming!
No way, if you pay your taxes and and unfortunate enough ose you job you are entitled to what is rightfully yours with dignity not public whipping.

lying eyes

13000 that is a big saving to the system. If that was applied to the 400000 or so this would be a saving of 80,000 less claims. That is a lot of cash.

potholedogger

No way, if you pay your taxes and and unfortunate enough ose you job you are entitled to what is rightfully yours with dignity not public whipping.
I am happy to pay my taxes but I am not happy to pay taxes to support welfare fraud. The most effective and cheapest way to police the €21 billion welfare budget is to put every recepients details online. I don't want to waste money paying thousands of public servants to police welfare either.

We should require tax returns for everyone to be part of a public register too. 14% of our Economy is not taxed! If we were serious about restoring our National Finances we would do this!

Franzoni

No we are not informers, that is ingrained in our very being as Irish folk and Yes the black economy is massive and getting bigger by the day. People not have a fuk them attitude to officialdom.
Looking at the officialdom we have it's not surprising .........

Trying to kill the black economy 100% is probably impossible ....

shenana

Some 13,000 unemployed people have stopped claiming dole in the first six months of 2012 after being called to interview by Social Welfare Staff. Some 66,000 people were called to interview in the forst 6 months of 2012 alone.

While many people are struggling on Social Welfare there is strong evidence to suggest some are moonlighting in the black economy draining scarce resources that might support those genuinely claiming dole payments.

Half the 13,000 who stopped claiming, left before attending for interview while the other half dropped off after attending an intiial interview before attending a secound round of interviews.

Self employed people can claim a social welfare payment if their self employed earnings are under a certain threshold. Clearly their is a route to work into a sustainable self employed income without claiming illegally!

What has become of the 13,000 who dropped their claims? Did they find work? Did they emigrate?

Selfemployedsupports.ie - information for self-employed people whose incomes are reduced - provided by the Citizens Information Board

13,000 drop dole claims after order to meet welfare staff - National News - Independent.ie
Brilliant statement on self-employed!

Sometimes our flame goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.

Franzoni

I am happy to pay my taxes but I am not happy to pay taxes to support welfare fraud. The most effective and cheapest way to police the €21 billion welfare budget is to put every recepients details online. I don't want to waste money paying thousands of public servants to police welfare either.

We should require tax returns for everyone to be part of a public register too. 14% of our Economy is not taxed! If we were serious about restoring our National Finances we would do this!
I reckon what you suggest is illegal under the data protection act.......

ruserious

I find it hard to criticise people who are doing nixers in this economic climate as a result of government mismanagement.

Franzoni

Then it's time to change the Data protection Act. Amalgamate Revenue and Social welfare departments!
Laffin....

Good luck with that one........

BTW would you be ok with your bank balance being on view to the world....?

shenana

Then it's time to change the Data protection Act. Amalgamate Revenue and Social welfare departments!
Is what you buy is what you get, so you may or you may not intertwined it, its up to you mate.

You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.

potholedogger

Laffin....

Good luck with that one........

BTW would you be ok with bank balance being on view to the world....?
How much extra tax or how much less benefits are you prepaid to pay or recieve to maintain the current regime of secrecy?

carruthers

It doesn't say if they were targeting these 66k or if it was just random. 1374 docked for not showing up for two interviews... would have thought cutting them off would be a better way unless they have a cast iron excuse. 20% is a huge number but credit where it's due. Too many parasites out there taking money and sympathy from genuine cases of hardship.

shenana

How much extra tax or how much less benefits are you prepaid to pay or recieve to maintain the current regime of secrecy?
Current regime what ?

It is a time for martyrs now, and if I am to be one, it will be for the cause of brotherhood. That's the only thing that can save this country.

Franzoni

I find it hard to criticise people who are doing nixers in this economic climate as a result of government mismanagement.
I don't think a lad who's struggling and does the odd nixer is putting the money in an ansbacher account.........more than likely spending it in local shops and other businesses

neiphin

would you like them to wear a star on their jackets too ?