2000 extra Gardai - Big mistake

Iarmhi Gael

FF are going to hit home with this from now until election day. Hanafin made Naughton look a fool on the radio and everyone within FF are laughing at the obvious mistake.

FG need to act quick and sharp in response to it. Naughton was dreadful on the radio allowing Hanafin make a fool of his leader. He finally decided to chirp in at the end with his bit on broken promises by FF.

For FG to get in to governement this election needs to be about the state of the FF government, the health service, crime & living standards and not lead down the road of what is in Kenny's Contract.

WAKE UP HQ
You need Bruton to come out and be confident on the numbers
You need Noonan to inject some of his wit and get a soundbite for the party
You need Rabitte & Labour to take attention away from the blunders on this contract
And god help us you need a few journalists to start probing Ahern again.

Gerrry

Website
www.sligowhiplash.com
Fine Gael for government said:
Jesus man, calm down. Naughten was not dreadful and it's FF who are massaging the figures not FG.
Dont know which is true but Kenny did look bad on it last night. Ahern came out clearly on top in relation to it regardless of who is right or wrong

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Jesus man, calm down. Naughten was not dreadful and it's FF who are massaging the figures not FG.
We are not massaging figures. We have admitted that we will have 14,000 gardai at the end of this year. We have said that we will increase Gardai numbers by 2000 to 16,000.

FG are saying they will increase Gardai numbers but only to 15,200

It's quite simple

Defeated Romanticist

The campaign may be proving a week too long for FG. If it wasn't for Bertie-gate the sequal, FG-Lab would be finished, there wouldn't have been a Labour statement about FF, and the realisation that you have bet on a donkey would have occured to the voting public by now. Bet you wished you had Yates, Owen and Dukes now.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Well, look at it this way, FF will probably come out and start to claim they are bringing in 4,000 extra Gardai based on the 2002 figures. After all if they can make promises based on figures that will come about in the future why not the past?

Iarmhi Gael

Calm Down - I have been out for nearly 2 years canvassing for this election and with 7 days to go FF have finally started to run this campaign or at least be heard.

All FG candidates were produced a document this morning in relation to last nights debates in relation to answering a FF attack. Obviously Naughton didn't bother to get out of bed and read his.

Every election poster up and down the country is promising 2000 extra gardai. At present there is 13000 gardai on the street, 1342 in training, FG have admitted within 5 years this figure will be 15000 with respect to retirements & new officiers.

Every registered voters in this country does not know about 3% tax, 2 billion health costs but everyone knows basic maths and knows that alone this simple figure does not add up.

People do not know much about policys in this country but educate them a little and they think they can run the place themselves.

Already this morning out of businesses I have been in nearly 70% brought up the issue of garda numbers looking themselves to be there own Miriam O'Callaghan, Pat Kenny or Vincent Browne.

anakin

Dunny said:
We are not massaging figures. We have admitted that we will have 14,000 gardai at the end of this year. We have said that we will increase Gardai numbers by 2000 to 16,000.
"at the end of this year" doesn't cut it. 14,000 Gardai promised 5 years ago should have been delivered by the date of the election if Fianna Fail was to keep its promise, it clearly hasn't.

At least with us we're being honest and seem to have a grasp of reality.

FF assumed fromt he outset that they'd be in power after this election. Another sign of their arrogance.

Iarmhi Gael

People who are trainees cannot be counted as Gardai.

There are not 14,000 Gardai.

FF are manipulating the figures.
No but they are classed by FG as gardai yet FF have not classed them as gardai.

FG have confirmed they will have 15000
FF probably have made it up that they will have 16000 on the back of this mistake. FG are looking like mugs.

White Horse

Dunny said:
We are not massaging figures. We have admitted that we will have 14,000 gardai at the end of this year.
The election is not at the end of the year. The election is now.

Is that simple enough?

Sure white horse FF should always be in power. Nobody else has a right to hold high office.

I don't think this is as big an issue as Iarmhi gael is making out. FF failled to deliver 2000 extra gardai, they will fail to do it again.

Fine Gael's propsals are more straightforward and contain much less spin. Our changes to police rostering mke sense. Overall we're solid on this policy.

clytaemnestra

I do think it was a mistake by Enda Kenny not to have immediately turned the tables on the Taoiseach last night and pointed out that 14,000 gardaí by the end of the year is not the same as 14,000 gardaí by the end of the life of this government, which is the date on which their performance in office ought to be judged. Bertie Ahern is a wonderful spoiler when it comes to debates, conjuring up an irrelevant figure or date out of thin air and suddenly letting the discussion revolve around this locus of his choice and his suiting. That said, while a Michael Noonan would have nailed the Taoiseach on this point, a Michael Noonan is not nearly as engaging or as likeable as Enda Kenny. This issue of garda numbers is as much an issue of trust as anything else and perhaps the public will trust Kenny more to deliver 15,200 gardaí on the beat than Ahern 16,000; that is, presuming that the public are even doing the sums that Fianna Fáil want them to.

I'm in Labour

clytaemnestra said:
This issue of garda numbers is as much an issue of trust as anything else and perhaps the public will trust Kenny more to deliver 15,200 gardaí on the beat than Ahern 16,000; that is, presuming that the public are even doing the sums that Fianna Fáil want them to.
That's the point exactly. FF are still making promises after ten years in Government. The opposition always have a problem in that they all they can do is make promises unlike the existing Government that has a track record to point to. Unfortunately for FF & PDs their track record is not one to be envied.

White Horse

clytaemnestra said:
I do think it was a mistake by Enda Kenny not to have immediately turned the tables on the Taoiseach last night and pointed out that 14,000 gardaí by the end of the year is not the same as 14,000 gardaí by the end of the life of this government, which is the date on which their performance in office ought to be judged. Bertie Ahern is a wonderful spoiler when it comes to debates, conjuring up an irrelevant figure or date out of thin air and suddenly letting the discussion revolve around this locus of his choice and his suiting. That said, while a Michael Noonan would have nailed the Taoiseach on this point, a Michael Noonan is not nearly as engaging or as likeable as Enda Kenny. This issue of garda numbers is as much an issue of trust as anything else and perhaps the public will trust Kenny more to deliver 15,200 gardaí on the beat than Ahern 16,000; that is, presuming that the public are even doing the sums that Fianna Fáil want them to.
You are right. A top debater would have nailed Ahern on his ham-fisted and inaccurate criticisms. Then again, we were looking at people going for the job of Taoiseach not chairman of a debating society.

gahane

White Horse said:
clytaemnestra said:
You are right. A top debater would have nailed Ahern on his ham-fisted and inaccurate criticisms. Then again, we were looking at people going for the job of Taoiseach not chairman of a debating society.
I though he was facing a master debator.

Oh come on, someone had to make the obvious joke. :D

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

Governments are charged with

Legislation

Oversight of resources/spending

Saying "I'm gonna throw more money at this than you will & hire more cops" is a very easy copout.

Any fool could do that, by confing debate to how much of an increase we are missing point & letting the politicians off lightly.

The hard task for them would be to reform the cops & get more efficiencies, reduce crime by tackling its causes.

Instead they are pulling more money from the magical money tree, money we notice less as our wealth has increased

If they don't target value for money, we'll go the way of France:

cYp

adrem

cYp - stop showing off !!

I think the mistake he made was bit more subtle - but maybe that's just me

When Bertie was pushing the "you've only costed for 1,000, deputy" I thought it was odd for Enda's comeback to be "because your government has already paid for the other 1,000"

In my day you never gave your opponent credit for something that you were claiming as your own.

The facts of the actual figures are all outlined earlier in the thread so I'm not bothering to re-hash (biffo?) them - I think it was a mistake from Enda though not the end 'a the world

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Iarmhi Gael said:
[quote="Fine Gael for government":210auon0]Jesus man, calm down. Naughten was not dreadful and it's FF who are massaging the figures not FG.
Calm Down - I have been out for nearly 2 years canvassing for this election and with 7 days to go FF have finally started to run this campaign or at least be heard.

Already this morning out of businesses I have been in nearly 70% brought up the issue of garda numbers looking themselves to be there own Miriam O'Callaghan, Pat Kenny or Vincent Browne.[/quote:210auon0]

You've been canvassing for the last 2 years for whom, might I ask? And in what jurisdiction were these business?

You're wearing an FG avatar but appear to talking up FF, do you even know the difference between the parties?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies