• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

2009 Safest on Roads in 50 years

Truth.ie

Seat belts, air bags, stronger cars, drink driving legislation, better post accident medical aid.
This and other reasons would explain the decrease from 50 years ago.
Can you explain how "investment in infrastructure" was responsible?

iartaoiseach

Ah well the big freeze just put the roads back a few years. I wouldn't fancy being a motorbike rider around connacht at any rate at the mo. of course the gov will just put it down to driver behaviour if the figures are worse next year.

Congalltee

Seat belts, air bags, stronger cars, drink driving legislation, better post accident medical aid.
This and other reasons would explain the decrease from 50 years ago.
Can you explain how "investment in infrastructure" was responsible?
Noel Dempsey must get all the credit. After all he got the blame for snow covered roads and runways.

(That said, it would be a good time for Gay Byrne to retire)

Truth.ie

Ah well the big freeze just put the roads back a few years. I wouldn't fancy being a motorbike rider around connacht at any rate at the mo. of course the gov will just put it down to driver behaviour if the figures are worse next year.
There are probably MORE road accidents than 50 years ago. Whats happening is there are less deaths. For the reasons I posted above.

iartaoiseach

There are probably MORE road accidents than 50 years ago. Whats happening is there are less deaths. For the reasons I posted above.
I would agree with you re the causes of accidents and improvements in safety by the way. I was merely pointing out that the so called infrastructure improvements were reversed on many secondary and minor roads as a result of the freeze-combined with shoddy work and patch jobs.

yehbut_nobut

A decrease in fatalaties is still very good news, no matter how you look at it. Long may figures continue in the downward direction.

charley

240 people still died ,thats too many ,anyone patting themselves on the back for this should be ashamed, having lost someone in a traffic accident to see statistics being thrown about looking for praise when none is due. until the figure is zero and the laws are implemented properly we should hang or heads in shame.

toughbutfair

240 people still died ,thats too many ,anyone patting themselves on the back for this should be ashamed, having lost someone in a traffic accident to see statistics being thrown about looking for praise when none is due. until the figure is zero and the laws are implemented properly we should hang or heads in shame.
there will never be a year of zero deaths on the road, so I won't be hanging my head in shame - what a stupid thing to say.

THIS IS GOOD NEWS.

charley

you consider the deaths of 240 people to be good news and you call me stupid.
do you think the families of those 240 people think its good news,
how many of those deaths could have been prevented if our laws on drink driving,speeding,driving unsafe vehicles and drug driving were implemented properly.
zero may be a notional figure but at least its an aspiration. unlike someone who thinks people dying is good news,

B

boo-boo

Official figures may show that the rate of fatalities may be down but does that mean the rate of RTA's and injuries from RTA's is also down.... I dont think so. Not all RTA's are reported to An Garda Siochana or to insurance companies. And not all RTA's result in personal injury claims.

I have the pleasure of being let loose on Irish road system and everyday I have see evidence of bad driving from speeding, persons driving using mobile phones, dangerous and illegal overtaking, pulling out from minor roads to major roads without giving way and most often is the failure to stop at a red light.

toughbutfair

you consider the deaths of 240 people to be good news and you call me stupid.
do you think the families of those 240 people think its good news,
how many of those deaths could have been prevented if our laws on drink driving,speeding,driving unsafe vehicles and drug driving were implemented properly.
zero may be a notional figure but at least its an aspiration. unlike someone who thinks people dying is good news,
stop being such a muppet.

If there were only 5 murders in 2010 that would be great, if there were only 1,000 unemployed that would be great - sad for those that make up those numbers but great statistics.

Incase you have a problem understanding - the DROP to 240 and the LOWEST in 50 years is good news.

toughbutfair

Official figures may show that the rate of fatalities may be down but does that mean the rate of RTA's and injuries from RTA's is also down.... I dont think so. Not all RTA's are reported to An Garda Siochana or to insurance companies. And not all RTA's result in personal injury claims.

I have the pleasure of being let loose on Irish road system and everyday I have see evidence of bad driving from speeding, persons driving using mobile phones, dangerous and illegal overtaking, pulling out from minor roads to major roads without giving way and most often is the failure to stop at a red light.
It is reasonable to assume these figures have dropped by the same percentage, why would just one set have dropped?

charley

i am not being a muppet, the number of road deaths may have fallen but this an improvment on the year before in no way can you describe it as good news. have you any idea how it sounds to someone who has had to go through the aftermath of a road death to hear someone like you dismiss their loss as a statistic.

toughbutfair

i am not being a muppet, the number of road deaths may have fallen but this an improvment on the year before in no way can you describe it as good news. have you any idea how it sounds to someone who has had to go through the aftermath of a road death to hear someone like you dismiss their loss as a statistic.
stop being daft.

My mother died of cancer and if somebody said that deaths from cancer in 2010 would be at a 50 year low, that would be great.

Statistics are a group of personal tragedies so a drop in death statistics is a drop in such tragedies.

Therefore less families last year than at any time in 50 years went through that trauma, so of course it is great news.

charley

a lot of roads deaths can be prevented but the will to enforce the law is not there.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies