2012: Obama trails GOP challengers

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Following the meltdown yesterday is Obama toast for re-election in 2012?

Romney 50%
Obama 45%

Huckabee 52%
Obama 44%

Bear in mind these are CNN polls, which tend to favour the Dems.

Vincent Browne's tie

Following the meltdown yesterday is Obama toast for re-election in 2012?

Romney 50%
Obama 45%

Huckabee 52%
Obama 44%

Bear in mind these are CNN polls, which tend to favour the Dems.
Meltdown or not, surely even you would rather see Obama stay president than Mike bloody Huckabee...

FutureTaoiseach

Website
Meltdown or not, surely even you would rather see Obama stay president than Mike bloody Huckabee...
Yes I would. I am almost a pacifist on foreign-policy and I don't want the Zionist military-industrial complex flattening another country after Iraq. While opposing Big Government, I also oppose waging WW3 on bahalf of a small but powerful country in the Mediterranean that likes to play the victim to justify its colonial-aggression. Anyone a gridlocked govt that exists now impedes the Big Govt agenda.

owedtojoy

Yes I would. I am almost a pacifist on foreign-policy and I don't want the Zionist military-industrial complex flattening another country after Iraq. While opposing Big Government, I also oppose waging WW3 on bahalf of a small but powerful country in the Mediterranean that likes to play the victim to justify its colonial-aggression. Anyone a gridlocked govt that exists now impedes the Big Govt agenda.
Better find a hole in the ground and get into it, because the Tea Party stands for everything you say you dislike i.e. complete subservience to Israeli military policy.

BTW, I hope you remember your dislike of Big Government when the Tea Party tries to police the bedrooms of Americans.

Last edited:

FutureTaoiseach

Website
Better find a hold in the ground and get into it, because the Tea Party stands for everything you say you dislike i.e. complete subservience to Israeli military policy.

BTW, I hope you remember your dislike of Big Government when the Tea Party tries to police the bedrooms of Americans.
Many Tea Partiers like Rand Paul oppose the Federal govt interfering in that department. They are not a monolithic movement.

owedtojoy

Pollster have the following favourable ratings (they do a poll of polls, so biases are averaged out):

Obama 48%
Palin 38%
Huckabee 35%
Romney 33%

If Obama can highlight the ineffective of the impending Tea Party Congress to work with him in improving the lot of ordinary American, that will go a long way to ensure his re-election.

By 2012, the Tea Party will have been exposed as the sham-radical party of the rich.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
Pollster have the following favourable ratings (they do a poll of polls, so biases are averaged out):

Obama 48%
Palin 38%
Huckabee 35%
Romney 33%

If Obama can highlight the ineffective of the impending Tea Party Congress to work with him in improving the lot of ordinary American, that will go a long way to ensure his re-election.

By 2012, the Tea Party will have been exposed as the sham-radical party of the rich.
Links?

owedtojoy

From early 2009. :rolleyes:
Look again.

I admit this is higher than I thought it would be - I thought his ratings were in the lower 40%, though still higher than those of either Reagan or Clinton at his stage of their Presidencies. Incidentally, those men also saw their parties lose Congress at the mid-terms of their first 4 years.

So rumours of Obama's impending doom are greatly exaggerated. Put this thread on ice for 18 months, then we'll see.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
If personal-popularity was the determinant Harry Reid wouldn't have won re-election.

CookieMonster

This is obviously a disaster for the GOP.

(my new rote response to these threads, along with...)

And we all know Bush is to blame.

owedtojoy

If personal-popularity was the determinant Harry Reid wouldn't have won re-election.
Kinda changing your tune from the OP? Then it was all about "personal popularity" when you thought it suited your lame case.

The right have been banging on about the "unpopular Obama" meme since he got elected. In fact, despite the fall in his personal ratings, he is still the most respected national politician in America by far.

That is not to say he cannot be defeated. Of course he can, but not as easily as you seem to think. The American system favours incumbent Presidents - 8 out of the last 10 Presidents who stood for re-election, succceeded in retaining the White House. Obama still has the "bully pulpit" of the Presidency, and if he uses it properly, he can still win in 2012.

Last edited:

Clanrickard

Kinda changing your tune from the OP? Then it was all about "personal popularity" when you thought it suited your lame case.

The right have been banging on about the "unpopular Obama" meme since he got elected. In fact, despite the fall in his personal ratings, he is still the most respected national politician in America by far.

That is not to say he cannot be defeated. Of course he can, but not as easily as you seem to think. The American system favours incumbent Presidents - 8 out of the last 10 Presidents who stood for re-election, succceeded in retaining the White House. Obama still has the "bully pulpit" of the Presidency, and if he uses it properly, he can still win in 2012.
I still think he will win. None of the challengers from the GOP has any charisma bar Palin who has it in buckets but has high unfavorable ratings. If she bucked up she could do it. Huckabee is all over the place ideologically and Romney is too wooden.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo

So did Bill Clinton and when the GOP controlled the house what did they do to him? Obama has the added problem of being at the helm of an economy that is in trouble.

The GOP have already, and in no uncertian terms, told Obama that they will torpedo any legislation they don't like and use the subpoena powers of the House to investigate the administration. At the end of the day it took years for the Clintons to get clear of Whitewater and there was nothing at all to those allegations. Mud only has to stick long enough to sully an election, nothing more.

The Obama approval ratings you cite, which are strangly high, are before the GOP excercises the power it has just gotten.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
So did Bill Clinton and when the GOP controlled the house what did they do to him? Obama has the added problem of being at the helm of an economy that is in trouble.

The GOP have already, and in no uncertian terms, told Obama that they will torpedo any legislation they don't like and use the subpoena powers of the House to investigate the administration. At the end of the day it took years for the Clintons to get clear of Whitewater and there was nothing at all to those allegations. Mud only has to stick long enough to sully an election, nothing more.

The Obama approval ratings you cite, which are strangly high, are before the GOP excercises the power it has just gotten.
Yes and they can even close down the govt if they don't get what they want like Gingrich did and that will impress upon the American people the image of an impotent (politically) rudderless President incapable to steer through the rest of his agenda like repealing 'Don't Ask don't Tell'. Doesn't bode well for 2012.

meriwether

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

The notion that Huckabee would beat Obama of 6-8 percentage points is ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous.

None of the current Republican front runners will beat Obama.

Goban Saor

Better find a hole in the ground and get into it, because the Tea Party stands for everything you say you dislike i.e. complete subservience to Israeli military policy.

Thats a very odd sweeping statement.

owedtojoy

Mtich McConnell has fallen straightaway in the Gingrich trap by spurning Obama's offer to co-operate.

Gringrich though he was the "real" President. He threw a hissy fit and shut down the Government when he was made travel at the back of Air Force One.

Whitewater? How many Presidential elections did Clinton lose because of Whitewater? In fact, the more the media gave them Monica Lewinsky wall-to-wall, the more popular he got with the public. People will rally behind a Preisdent who they think is being treated unfairly but who is seen to be trying his best.

The GOP has a mandate to improve the economy, but it has no solutions. There is going to be two years of gridlock and a stagnant economy. The question is: who is going to take the blame?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies