2016 Olympics Thread

GDPR

There are just over 10 days to go to the start of the Olympics in Rio. Much of the commentary has been focused on drugs, cheating, golfers pulling out, zika scare and generally getting a bad press. Some will refuse to watch of course, and yet it is likely to top the viewing charts across the globe for the year. For Ireland, much of the hope centres around Katie Taylor and her attempt to defend her gold medal. Boxing has been our best sport and probably offers the best chance for additional medals. Stars like Usain Bolt are simply a phenomenon of our time and are we going to see a new star emerging? Are there any other Irish athletes that we should look out for? What are people's expectations for the games as a whole or has it moved so far from the amateur idyllic ideal to a corporate advertisement fest that's off putting? Thoughts?

https://www.rio2016.com/en

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 48908

There are just over 10 days to go to the start of the Olympics in Rio. Much of the commentary has been focused on drugs, cheating, golfers pulling out and generally getting a bad press. Some will refuse to watch of course, and yet it is likely to top the viewing charts across the globe for the year. For Ireland, much of the hope centres around Katie Taylor and her attempt to defend her gold medal. Boxing has been our best sport and probably offers the best chance for additional medals. Stars like Usain Bolt are simply a phenomenon of our time and are we going to see a new star emerging? Are there any other Irish athletes that we should look out for? What are people's expectations for the games as a whole or has it moved so far from the amateur idyllic ideal to a corporate advertisement fest that's off putting? Thoughts?

https://www.rio2016.com/en
I think Gatlin will take Bolt.

No mention of Zika?

Seanie Lemass

Only events I will watch are the track and the Irish boxers.

If Bolt is to be beaten I fancy Blake, not Gatlin.

8/1!

runwiththewind

Analise Murphy in the sailing. Conlon and Barnes in the boxing.
The brothers in the rowing.

Seanie Lemass

Sports Illustrated is predicting six medals for Ireland; Harrington bronze in golf, Barnes bronze, Conlon gold, Taylor gold and Ward and O'Reilly silver in boxing.

Betson

For Ireland, much of the hope centres around Katie Taylor and her attempt to defend her gold medal.
Gold medals in women's sports are grand and all that especially when we don't win a lot , but I hope we can win some real gold medals(i.e. men's sports) this time round as well.

Seanie Lemass

Gold medals in women's sports are grand and all that especially when we don't win a lot , but I hope we can win some real gold medals(i.e. men's sports) this time round as well.

Boxing is only chance of winning a men's medal in a genuine Olympic sport.

Conlon is reckoned by nearly everyone as a dead cert for the 56kg. Taylor will most likely have to fight Alexseevna who beat her earlier in the year so by no means a certainty as she was last time.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Harrington coming in to a bit form, maybe a dark horse in the Golf.

Harmonica

I am sure I will watch some athletics & maybe some events with Irish competitors but the Olympics is a bit meh these days. Many of th sports Ireland are involved in such as sailing & eventing are not suitable for TV.

Just wait a few years for stories of the massive debt Rio took on the build facilities it cannot use.

Socratus O' Pericles

Not much enthusiasm for the world drug taking championships then?

statsman

There's Test cricket on in three different countries. Doubt I'll find time for Rio.

Socratus O' Pericles

The full pharmacological cornucopia will be on display for the next few weeks. Will Bolt's chemist be better than the other fella's? Thrilling question.

gerhard dengler

BBC did a very good programme on the athlete Jessica Ennis-Hill.
Apart from being a beautiful looking woman and the poster girl of British track and field, she is a phenomenal athlete.

It will be interesting to see if she successfully manages to defend her Olympic title. She has become a mother since the last Olympics, so it will be fascinating to see if she still retains the desire and capacity to win at the highest level.

Harmonica

https://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2016/0805/807282-hickey-delaney-will-be-long-term-oci-successor/

Olympic Council of Ireland President Pat Hickey has said he believes John Delaney, the current Chief Executive of the FAI, is favourite to ultimately take over his position.

Last month Hickey confirmed that he will resign from his position as OCI president after 28 years in charge to be replaced by First Vice-President Willie O’Brien following the Rio Games.
That says so much about Hickey & Delaney. :roll:

Neither the IOC or the executive board of the International Olympic Committee Executives (President excepted) are paid a salary. Why would a person undertake a position such as this for so long without any salary?

Last edited:

retep

Fraid I have to agree with Jerry Kiernan in that sadly I've never been less excited about The olympics to such a degree is the entire concept tarnished by doping and corruption. I suppose it's always been there along with the political interference but I suspect I've grown a lot more cynical in the past 4 years.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies