2016..the year that keeps taking

Kev408

It doesn't matter whether you liked George Michael or Rick Parfitt or Bowie or Cohen or any of the other 'celebrities' that died in 2016. Actors, musicians, athletes...it really has been the worst year in my lifetime for the passing of stars/superstars (as they're called). Then we had Brexit and Trump. Probably the most shocking thing in 2016 has been events in and around Syria.

Just like some people would be indifferent to so called stars dying, so would others be bitterly disappointed with political developments across our planet. Whatever each individual thinks, 2016 must rate as the worst year for everything I've ever experienced. At the time of writing this there's only 6 days left in this 'Annus Horribilis'.

Can even worse happen? How has it affected you? Do you see 2016 as a run-of-the-mill year? Are you hopeful and looking forward to 2017?

Betson

It doesn't matter whether you liked George Michael or Rick Parfitt or Bowie or Cohen or any of the other 'celebrities' that died in 2016. Actors, musicians, athletes...it really has been the worst year in my lifetime for the passing of stars/superstars (as they're called). Then we had Brexit and Trump. Probably the most shocking thing in 2016 has been events in and around Syria.

Just like some people would be indifferent to so called stars dying, so would others be bitterly disappointed with political developments across our planet. Whatever each individual thinks, 2016 must rate as the worst year for everything I've ever experienced. At the time of writing this there's only 6 days left in this 'Annus Horribilis'.

Can even worse happen? How has it affected you? Do you see 2016 as a run-of-the-mill year? Are you hopeful and looking forward to 2017?
Despite all that it is not been a bad year , any year Tipp win the All Ireland can't be a bad year.

Who was the dude from history that said 'may you live in interesting times'. I think he meant it as curse , well curse or not these are certainly interesting times.

A year that will be spoken about for many decades to come.

razorblade

Whats so bad about brexit and donald trump.

GDPR

Indeed. My hairdresser told me the other day that it was all up with the peach rinse.

Apparently I was now looking Orange.

Well I cant have that.

Its so difficult being a dirty blonde.

comet

Despite all that it is not been a bad year , any year Tipp win the All Ireland can't be a bad year.

Who was the dude from history that said 'may you live in interesting times'. I think he meant it as curse , well curse or not these are certainly interesting times.

It is supposed to be a Chinese curse but it may not be true.

May You Live In Interesting Times | Quote Investigator

storybud1

Still getting over Curt Cobain, the last one that actually meant anything,, musically,,

between the bridges

Life, live it like it was going out of fashion and whatever ye do don't get caught...

willow68

RIP George Michael.

Truth.ie

Famous celebs died every year.
We just didnt notice before the mawkish instant news generation of the internet.
I mean Carrie Fisher.....Rick Parfitt??
Who de feck??

Truth.ie

Syria is on the up and things are looking good there.
Thanks to Putin and Assad.

America finally has a President who wants to stop arming death squads.

The UK have a system where they recognise referendums and stand with the people's vote despite huge pressure from globalists and mass media.

2016 was a great year, as far as I'm concerned.

Jimmy Two Times

Syria is on the up and things are looking good there.
Thanks to Putin and Assad.

America finally has a President who wants to stop arming death squads.

The UK have a system where they recognise referendums and stand with the people's vote despite huge pressure from globalists and mass media.

2016 was a great year, as far as I'm concerned.
A good year for Lies.UKIP is a bad year for punters in general. Your ilk and their lies will get found out soon.

RasherHash

Willy Wonka?

RasherHash

He seemed to have bad health and was in a very bad way in 2011.

He smoked 28 spliffs a day back then and went with a bloke who was hiv+

He also played the field with men and women.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I suspect that the zenith thus far of celebrities shuffling off the mortal coil is down to them being the first generation of MTV stars or at least benefitting in terms of global fame from MTV and the first wave of stars commented on on the internet.

Previously stars faded from view much more whereas they and their product are now endlessly recycled in some corner of the 'net.

Bowie, George Michael et al would probably have been in the first set of stars to have been as well known in Albania, China, Russia, Japan, Australia as they would have been at home.

They would also have been through the excesses of the star lifestyle of the mid to late 1970s and 1980s which in fairness would explain quite a lot in terms of curtailed longevity.

Still doesn't explain Keith Richards though. Then again nothing really explains Keith.

Last edited:
Famous celebs died every year.
We just didnt notice before the mawkish instant news generation of the internet.
I mean Carrie Fisher.....Rick Parfitt??
Who de feck??
I'd agree with your general sentiment.

The Guardian did a piece where they analysed their obituaries for the year to date. Their conclusion was that things were pretty normal (IIRC). one factor was that there are more famous people now - a result of greater connectedness through technology. There are also now additional ways to achieve fame: bloggers, YouTube "stars"; being famous for being famous.

I have always been an avid reader of the obits in The Times; not out of mawkishness, but because there are often quite fascinating stories in there (particularly when the death is of a war hero).

I suspect that the zenith thus far of celebrities shuffling off the mortal coil is down to them being the first generation of MTV stars or at least benefitting in terms of global fame from MTV and the first wave of stars commented on on the internet.

Previously stars faded from view much more whereas they and their product are now endlessly recycled in some corner of the 'net.

Bowie, George Michael et al would probably have been in the first set of stars to have been as well known in Albania, China, Russia, Japan, Australia as they would have been at home.

They would also have been through the excesses of the star lifestyle of the mid to late 1970s and 1980s which in fairness would explain quite a lot in terms of curtailed longevity.

Still doesn't explain Keith Richards though. Then again nothing really explains Keith.

Given the amount of chemicals he ingested, many of which must have some preservative properties, I'd say he'll be with us for a while yet.

He won't thank me for throwing that challenge out there!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Perhaps we should think of it the other way around. Who are the annoying bastards who you would really prefer to have checked out because of the heinous and inexplicable fame which was deeply annoying at the time?

'Shakin' Stevens'. I bet that horrible f*cker is still clinging on somewhere. Probably being kept alive on the pituitary glands of rare albino hamsters on some estate in Bermuda as we speak.

Ruined at least one year of my life with the repeated strains of that fellow's offerings filtering through the walls from the kid blister's room.

'Green Door'. F*ck sake.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Indeed. My hairdresser told me the other day that it was all up with the peach rinse.

Apparently I was now looking Orange.

Well I cant have that.

Its so difficult being a dirty blonde.

Rots new year resolution is to try attracting blondes..all the other hair-colours have deserted him at this stage! :shock: lol

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies