2017-18 Ashes Series - Australia V England

Hitchcock

crossman

Aussies 4-1. Neither team does draws anymore. England will get Stokes out there at some stage and he will inspire one win.

Mushroom

Last edited:

gerhard dengler

It's grand - at least it was until I fell asleep at 1.50 this morning. What your beef?
I watched yesterday's play, until 01.30am too.
I thought that the BT commentators sounded like they were barely awake.
(Malan's dismissal barely registered with the commentators, I thought).

Mushroom

I saw one shot of the commentary team and a couple of them seemed to be more interested in tweeting and texting than on watching the play. But it was pretty tedious watching until Engerland gave us the traditional collapse! I miss Bumble.

gerhard dengler

I saw one shot of the commentary team and a couple of them seemed to be more interested in tweeting and texting than on watching the play. But it was pretty tedious watching until Engerland gave us the traditional collapse! I miss Bumble.
I saw that shot of them messing with their phones.

GDPR

The Aussies have the advantage since this series is being played in Australia, but I am not sure how well they'll go against the poms this time around.

The last couple of series have been extreme: Australia/England 6-0 then in the next England/Australia 6-0

Of course I want the Australians to win the current Ashes, and win well :)

Hitchcock

Hitchcock

Barring a catastrophical collapse Aus will go 1 up tonight. England need to get Cook scoring - their 'tail' looks very vulnerable too.

V likely.

The player I was going to tip as critical was Nathan Lyon. He gets quite some revs on the ball and his control has improved.

Hitchcock

Third Test begins tomorrow in Perth, obviously England being two down they need to win but their record at the WACA is brutal.

Third Test begins tomorrow in Perth, obviously England being two down they need to win but their record at the WACA is brutal.
The WACA in the past used produced very fast and bouncy wickets. Less so these days. That sort of wicket actually helps the spinners and bring the short fielders more into play.

statsman

The WACA in the past used produced very fast and bouncy wickets. Less so these days. That sort of wicket actually helps the spinners and bring the short fielders more into play.
I have a feeling that Cummings may just be coming into form in time for this Test.

hiding behind a poster

They're a lot better than Sky. They still talk too much, but not as much as Sky do, where I frequently end up muting the sound as the only legal way of getting Shane Warne to shut the f*ck up. They still do the "captain stuff", probably a consequence of the current fixation in all sports with having ex-captains moving straight from the pitch to the commentary box, and meaning that said commentators never stop going on about what the fielding captain could, should or might do next - but again not as much as Sky do, they spend at least some of their time talking about the wider picture of the match, other matches, cricket in general and the world in general. This is also good, as 6 hours is a lot of sport to watch in one day, you don't want to feel you spent every minute being the fielding captain. And also they do great "mix and match" pairings in the commentary box - pairing different eras, different nations, different types of player, etc - an example being when they pair Geoff Boycott and Adam Gilchrist, who were poles apart as players but clearly greatly respect each other, and you get compelling viewing as a result.

Much better than having to endure the constant buddy-buddy in-jokes on Sky - and worse still the regular sound of Nasser Hussain's tongue constantly easing its way up Botham's (sorry, "Sir Ian"'s) ass.

hiding behind a poster

The Aussies have the advantage since this series is being played in Australia, but I am not sure how well they'll go against the poms this time around.

The last couple of series have been extreme: Australia/England 6-0 then in the next England/Australia 6-0

Of course I want the Australians to win the current Ashes, and win well :)
Ehh there's only 5 Tests.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies