2017 - A New Year almost upon us - Predictions for Yr ahead.

firefly123

1, Enda will finally be ousted as Taoiseach. I'd plump fpr Leo Varadkar as the successor.

2. The euro will fall below 0.90 versus the dollar.

3. Increasing inflation (due to more expensive oil) will start to make things awkward for the ECB's interest rate policy.

More anon....
I'm gonna go for Coveney. Leo is a bit too 'other' for the party. He appears to have actual political principles (right wing thatcherite but at least the man has them) and that just won't do! Also gay and bit foreign. The mayo wing won't like that one bit.

Sangreel

Same ************************e new year.... gob************************es wanting yer vote and my old lady telling me that if I lost some weight my pants would fit better.... and my kids calling me from some other country asking me for cash....the queen might hold on another year and the other queen elton singing the same old ************************e...

derryman

Same ************************e new year.... gob************************es wanting yer vote and my old lady telling me that if I lost some weight my pants would fit better.... and my kids calling me from some other country asking me for cash....the queen might hold on another year and the other queen elton singing the same old ************************e...
So you mean 2017 will be a matter of "same shyete, different year , deeper in it".

I concur.

fat finger

⦁ America: President Trump announces plan to visit Ireland for golf holiday
⦁ Entertainment: The number of music legends dying exceeds this year's total
⦁ Global Warming: Ireland has the third coldest winter ever
⦁ Migration: Migrants swarm into Europe in greater numbers than ever before
⦁ Navy: Navy personnel continue to reap bonuses for fishing migrants from the sea off Libya
⦁ Politics: A long buried secret involving Fianna Fail top brass is leaked onto the internet (possibly even to this forum); mayhem ensues, rioting in Merrion Street
⦁ Sport: Tennis: Andy Murray wins French Open
⦁ Traffic Policy: Government reduces max speed limit for whole country to 80 km/hr
⦁ Volcanoes: A massive eruption in the Med shuts down European air travel for ten weeks

Strawberry

I think 2017 will be a boring year politically. The Brexit thing will rumble on and on, Trump won't do half of what he promised, the EU will carry on as before, and maybe Enda will be replaced by Coveney or Varadkar but FG will rumble on also.

'orebel

2017 is too soon, nothing will happen until 2019, kicking the can down the road one more year, etc,

Le Pen is the only thing that may happen, the rest have their coalitions to keep kicking the can down the road, bankers to set us up, hedge fund crooks to get their ducks in a row, same ould carousel,

I have a funny feeling that an "occurance" will happen (allow me this hunch) Tsunami, Eartquake, islamic terrorist big win, etc, closer to home,

Sure we all know nothing but "Feel" ?

Buy dollars if you have some cash,,
If the winter gets colder will you be pissing on your hands to stay warm?

'orebel

gijoe

LePen will be elected in France.

Merkel will be removed as Chancellor.

I think we will see open warfare at the Vatican.

Liverpool will win their first League title in how many years.

Dublin will win Sam.

British & Irish Lions will win a test series in New Zealand.
Thats just ridiculous.........Liverpool are never going to win the Premier League

Erudite Caveman

One of the Trump fanboys on here will finally get his hole.

Peace process will be endangered by people pointing out that SFers are not exactly all tied to exclusively peaceful political means.

Trump will tweet something dodgy about Tiger Woods.

Someone on P.ie will use an anecdote to prove that statistics that they don't agree with are wrong.

Last edited:

between the bridges

The Fermanagh wan will be freed...

Lúidín

Gerry Adams will admit, live on air, that it was he who shot Michael Collins.

Ceartgoleor

- FF attempt to drain their own swamp but drown in the effort
- FF leadsership heave fails, saving FG government from an impromptu election
- FG government dreaming of the good old days of the 19th century carry on with the policy of helping landlords to extract vast revenues and wealth from the peasants. Not since Cromwellian times have so few reaped so much from so many. FF generously acs as guarantor for the landlords in return for appointments to a few state boards.
- SF continue to flounder in a mire of their own making with the trots & reds finally eradicating the last few nationalists left in their party and in the effort recapturing the huge share of the vote once held by Demoratic Left.
- Breakaways from SF & FF & Independents set up a anti-EU nationalist party that flies high in the polls forging a real alternative to FG/FG/L/SF for the first time in 70 years.
- Water rates are re-introduced as USC2.

Last edited:

sic transit

Just some random notions

1. Enda will step down as Taoiseach(May/June)
2. Ireland joint 6N champions with England.
3. Football team to qualify directly for World Cup
4. Trump will have his access to Twitter curtailed after one too many international incidents. He may have some potential impeachment carry-on but should see out 12 months.
5. Interest rates will limp forward at the back end of next year.
6. Brexit talks may finally get under way by year's end.
7. Decision time on water/IW and a hybrid solution may be the proposed direction.
8. No tax cuts next year apart from another tinkering with USC.
9. Election doubtful unless FF see a big enough gap opening up but might be Budget time when they move.
10. Housing starts could start to have an effect on overall prices.
11.There will be a homeless problem next year.
12. NAMA Italia will make its mark!

Fullforward

The Fermanagh wan will be freed...
General election will be called in March

I will meet Bridges for a "Cup of Coffee" and we'll declare peace and kiss and make up.

My beloved Dubs to be two points ahead and lose to a last minute goal in the biggest shock in GAA for a long time

Major row to cause a serious split in Fianna Fail

I will run the Dublin Marathon

New Threads

Top Bottom