2017: How to stop the rise of authoritarianism

captain obvious

Many US publications and commentators, including GOP label him such...there were some electoral contests in the US this year, they kinda got wide coverage...and Donald...ticked off most of the authoritarian boxes

cyp
Ah come on CYP I thought you could do better than that. At least give us some examples so we can judge for ourselves (and not the Huffington Post please). And criteria (boxes if you will) might be nice so we can stack them up against the alternative leaders on offer (all of which in most countries are a pretty poor bunch).

Analyzer

The nEU empire showed it's authoritarian side in 2016 bringing in punishments for any countries wishing to exercise their sovereignty in the face of ISIS declaring it wishes to murder as many civilians as possible.

captain obvious

The nEU empire showed it's authoritarian side in 2016 bringing in punishments for any countries wishing to exercise their sovereignty in the face of ISIS declaring it wishes to murder as many civilians as possible.
Their shameless ability to do a deal with the likes of Erdogan for a wad of sweaty Euros to ship refugees back to Turkey after giving them a personal invite from Merkel herself was a particular low point in my opinion.

Analyzer

Obama shoved a law through congress effecting censorship of the news in case anybody finds the truth about the ThemAreCorrupt party.

Hillary Clinton speculated about whether it would be possible to drone Julian Assange.

Both moves are authoritarian.

RasherHash

People who fail to recognize Trump or Fillon as authoritarian, are people who are highly unlikely to combat authoritarianism

Authoritarians tend to hate the truth ...and like half talk and euphemisms, even when shovelling the people into the ovens

Parallels with the 1930's as to the magnitude of the threat are merited ...but this world is much more globalised and connected...so the nature is different

Picador above is an angry, lonely pensioner...who has made false reports, in order that the authorities clamp doen on his enemies... that's authoritarian

cyp
Lol, clown.

Shovelling people into the ovens is a normal part of a democratic society, I know a fellah who does it for a living :)

captain obvious

People who fail to recognize Trump or Fillon as authoritarian, are people who are highly unlikely to combat authoritarianism

Authoritarians tend to hate the truth ...and like half talk and euphemisms, even when shovelling the people into the ovens

Parallels with the 1930's as to the magnitude of the threat are merited ...but this world is much more globalised and connected...so the nature is different

Picador above is an angry, lonely pensioner...who has made false reports, in order that the authorities clamp doen on his enemies... that's authoritarian

cyp
A necessary characteristic of any Authoritarian regime is the elimination of dissenting narrative. By my recollection, there was only one group which had this tendency in the recent American election and it was not in the Trump camp.

Another, incidentally, is the creation of the enemy within, that acts on behalf of external powers opposed to the values of the country, and is used to justify actions that would not normally be tolerated within an open society. Sound familiar ?

picador

cyp
LOL, is the pervert calling me a deplorable?

Signed, tax-payer.

Clanrickard

In 2016 the authoritarians did well...Trump, Duerte, Erdogan, Putin all had a good year

Authoritarianism deepened in India and China... and showed its face more in Poland and Hungary

France will fall to either Fillon or Le Pen - both odious creatures

Merkel is teetering, Italy and the UK are dysfunctional ...

Intolerant PC values have infested college campuses and many workplaces - economic populism (ie illiberalism) is now beloved of the Left and Right ... attrocities rage unanswered in Syria

How can those who believe in Freedom be most effective ?

cyp
How is the UK dysfunctional?

Fractional Reserve

In 2016 the authoritarians did well...Trump, Duerte, Erdogan, Putin all had a good year

Authoritarianism deepened in India and China... and showed its face more in Poland and Hungary

Intolerant PC values have infested college campuses and many workplaces - economic populism (ie illiberalism) is now beloved of the Left and Right ... attrocities rage unanswered in Syria

cyp
They did stop the Authoritarians the Clintons and hopefully ,next year they will get rid of the lot in Europe , Merkel , Hollande ,Rutte etc .

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Alone, Trump's aggression towards the press, allied with his threats to crack down on press freedom, clearly show his authoritarianism

Most of his proposals targeting Muslims are similar...also look at his key advisors, and who they, and Trump, cosy up to

cyp

GDPR

Alone, Trump's aggression towards the press, allied with his threats to crack down on press freedom, clearly show his authoritarianism

Most of his proposals targeting Muslims are similar...also look at his key advisors, and who they, and Trump, cosy up to

cyp

Trump sold himself as an autocrat.

That was part of his appeal to a certain section of the electorate in the US.

He campaigned as a classic authoritarian. He told the people their problems had a simple origin and an even simpler solution. Elect him and he will eliminate the groups and the elites, thus solving the problem.

captain obvious

cyp
To my knowledge, he never suggested press censorship. That only came from Clinton allied media who wished to eliminate misinformation. And where the information was in fact correct, for example the various Wikileaks, they invoked interference of an unfriendly nation; a classic authoritarian tactic.

To my knowledge, the only proposal targeting Muslims was to halt immigration until they could figure out a way of identifying those with fundamentalist tendencies or as I recall him putting it '....until we can figure out what the hell is going on'.

GDPR

People are usually against authoritarianism because they see it as getting in the way of what they see as their natural right to harm or exploit others.

Authoritarianism can be either a good or an evil depending on the goals it is used for and the methods it uses; however anti-authoritarianism is always, always, always an evil.

The soldier takes pride in saluting his Captain,
The devotee proffers a knee to his Lord,
Some back a mare thrown from a thoroughbred,
Troy backed its Helen; Troy died and adored;
Great nations blossom above;
As slave bows down to a slave.

W.B. Yeats.

redhead

[video=youtube_share;z80jmLbaMfU]http://youtu.be/z80jmLbaMfU[/video]

realistic1

cyp
Failure of middle of the road politics to represent the majority has directly led to this. Most people want a good standard of livng, healthcare and housing. Mainstream Politics have forgot about the ordinary man and woman in the pursuit of crazy PC ideology and the enrichment of themselves.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
To my knowledge, he never suggested press censorship. That only came from Clinton allied media who wished to eliminate misinformation. And where the information was in fact correct, for example the various Wikileaks, they invoked interference of an unfriendly nation; a classic authoritarian tactic.

To my knowledge, the only proposal targeting Muslims was to halt immigration until they could figure out a way of identifying those with fundamentalist tendencies or as I recall him putting it '....until we can figure out what the hell is going on'.
It is difficult to consider you as sincere, many Republicans consider Trump authoritarian, including this recent RNC senior aide, and previous CIA operative

Evan McMullin: Trump using authoritarian playbook - POLITICO

cyp

realistic1

Trump sold himself as an autocrat.

That was part of his appeal to a certain section of the electorate in the US.

He campaigned as a classic authoritarian. He told the people their problems had a simple origin and an even simpler solution. Elect him and he will eliminate the groups and the elites, thus solving the problem.
So called mainstream Politics has allowed these "groups and the elites" to prosper, so one cannot blame people for looking towards an alternative.

captain obvious

It is difficult to consider you as sincere, many Republicans consider Trump authoritarian, including this recent RNC senior aide, and previous CIA operative

Evan McMullin: Trump using authoritarian playbook - POLITICO

cyp
I am sincere in what I post. I may come across as a Trump fan boy but I am not (I have a sneaking admiration for him though as I do for most successful under-dogs).

What really gets my goat is hypocrisy. Most leaders have authoritarian tendencies otherwise they would be useless as leaders (unless of course we lived in an anarchy in which case there would be no need to elect a leader). That a couple of Republicans and an ex CIA operative (that bastion of sincerity and impartial non-interventionists) come to this worrying opinion does not in the slightest convince me.

I see little to no difference between Trump and Clinton except that Trump might be swayed by reasonable argument (as witnessed by the watering down of his various positions), whereas Clinton was an out and out ideologue with uncertain ambition. The bottom line is I feel safer with this outcome than the alternative.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies