• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

2018-19 Football Season: If I had the Wings of a Sparrow....

Levellers

Happy Balis Day to all you Baggies out there. The glory hunters will never enjoy a day like this.

brughahaha

Long may that last and long may Jose Gunnar Solskjaer reign.

I like Solskajer ....seems like a thoroughly decent bloke ....but i think

1.The problems at Man U run far far deeper
and
2. His tactical skills arent actually that great, and over a Season I think the expectations at Man U will not be met by him

Now back to the really exciting league ...The Championship!

HenryHorace

With Hazard and Kante being fairly fresh only playing for around 30 minutes last night in the EL, people are talking about Palace taking points off City their is little talk of Chelsea taking points off Liverpool. Thy are going through aa good patch and Pool have not beat them in the PL in the last 5 years.
In 014 it was slippy StevieG which ruined their title, who could it be in 019, SlippyALi or SlippyVanD, SlippySA
You should worry less about the league leaders and more about your own 6th place team getting schooled at home to West ham.

HenryHorace

I like Solskajer ....seems like a thoroughly decent bloke ....but i think

1.The problems at Man U run far far deeper
and
2. His tactical skills arent actually that great, and over a Season I think the expectations at Man U will not be met by him

Now back to the really exciting league ...The Championship!
Pipe down. Jose Gunnar is the man.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The Liverpool v Chelsea game is an intriguing one. Could go any number of ways, including a Chelsea win. Chelsea do seem to have a bit of edge back after an extraordinary mid-season wobbler but then consistency has been the elusive unicorn for both clubs down the years. Brilliant one match, sometimes inexplicably iffy in the next game.

Try predicting a score for this game. I think it is near impossible.It could be anything from 0-0 to 6-6 and all points between.

If Chelsea choose to play with gravity as opposed to it with Kante back in the middle and Mr Hazard and The Butler (Hudson-Odoi) are comfortable with having a go then it could be an interesting game. A win is vital for the Mickey Mousers but a draw isn't a disaster for Chelsea.

On season's form the odds would favour Liverpool at home. But the odds aren't that long any way around on this fixture.

I'll go 2-2 draw.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Just pondering over a cup of tea. I'm reading less and less about football these days but I have seen comments in some articles about what the best way to play Man City is- some seem to favour pressing high up against them as a defensive move and denying them comfortable space.

And it reminds me of a background fascination I guess many of us would have with the killer formation. It was 4-4-2 when it was all green fields around here. Jumpers for goalposts, etc and so forth.

Pressing high up the pitch from the kickoff I've seen tried and in fairness I've seen that work in cup games with minnows against big teams, Rep of Ireland notably on the international scene and forming the basis of good competition runs from teams like South Korea and Japan in tournaments.

It looks positively alarming when it goes wrong though. I can think of two examples where Wenger tried it with Arsenal (against Tottenham) some years ago and Chelsea also.

Against Chelsea it was in the period when Chelsea really had the wingback attack down to perfection and with Arsenal playing a 9-1 formation in the middle of the park it was like Christmas for Chelsea with balls down the channels and turning the entire Arsenal defensive-midfield (ie everyone except their keeper) and fast wing backs bearing down on goal with half an acre of space around them it is fairly obvious when a strategy starts to look more ominous than glorious.

Think it may have been the same season the North London derby saw both teams park as close to the half-way line as possible from the kick-off in an effort to stifle each other and ending up suffocating the game to death.

Kid's football is funny as it mostly consists of a gang of variously coloured urchins wandering all together around a muddy pitch in search of the ball and goals appear somewhat coincidental.

I wondered whether the effort to close down an opposition by playing a high line and flooding the midfield is a good tactic against a highly skilled, high-flying team. When it works the gaffer is a genus. When it goes wrong suddenly there are hundreds of thousands of gaffers appalled by the naivete... I suppose it is down to the quality of the players in the team.

If they can't compete with the opposition then there is only negative and dreary tactics left, with the possibility that your players don't have the skills for that either.

wombat

Looking at results among the teams involved in CL games during the week makes me think that Liverpool have the advantage over City today. Chelsea played on Thursday whereas Palace should be fresher than City.

wombat

The Liverpool v Chelsea game is an intriguing one. Could go any number of ways, including a Chelsea win. Chelsea do seem to have a bit of edge back after an extraordinary mid-season wobbler but then consistency has been the elusive unicorn for both clubs down the years. Brilliant one match, sometimes inexplicably iffy in the next game.
I think that Liverpool at home must be favourites, the league reflects the way teams have played over the season and I think the points gap highlights Liverpool's improvement and Chelsea's flakiness. I'm not convinced by Sarri but I'd like to see him given a preseason to see if he can succeed with his style.

soubresauts

Well, there was no surprise, except De Gea's blunder, which kind of killed the game as regards excitement.

Rashford and Pogba were disappointing again. I did expect a bit more from them.

Good on Ajax!

Round tower

Tonight shows the gap of where Utd. are noww and where they should be and the aamount of deadwood Utd. need to get rid of, in Dec. 011 Basel beat Man. U in the CL GS, 4 0f tonights back four was playing that night, probably 3 of them in defence, DaGea, Smalling, Jones, Young.
Utd. need to get rid of at least 6 players this summer to start with and another 5 or 6 over the next couple of seasons and buy in at least 4 quality players this summer.

Ajax will provide problems to any of the other teams left in the competition.

brughahaha

Thought I would share my good fortune and incredulity at Paddy Power ...switched over to the Ajax game just before half time ...1-1 and Ajax were pounding the Juve goalmouth...Had a few quid from the Grand National (Im a very infrequent gambler) in my Paddy Power account.
Astonishingly Ajax at 1-1 with 45 minutes and being the better team on the pitch left were 4.5-1 (up to 5-1 with an odds boost) to win .......... so it'll be the good wine on the Brughahaha table this weekend

Levellers

What surprised me last night was the massive improvements in Coutinho's game since he moved to Barca. The turgid style of Liverpool clearly didn't suit him.

Buchaill Dana

It really comes across as a little bit snowflakey, lots of people get abused in their jobs from health workers to cops to bouncers, they ignore it and carry on.
They shouldnt have to. Rose is in a position to try and stand up to it.

Buchaill Dana

All last night showed was the best team in Spain are better than a mid table English one and Ajax are a wonderful side, playing football how it is meant to be played. Watch that team get dismantled by wealthier clubs who wont know what to do with them.