2018 Six Nations Thread

former wesleyan

Parra out of France game against Ireland.

former wesleyan

statsman

I wonder will we get past Hogg,, or indeed anyone with the ability to play with width ? We defend very narrowly.
We do, it'll be interesting to see if we still do by game 5.

Erudite Caveman

Planets are beginning to line up for us. No significant injuries, provinces motoring along, class of 2009 being pushed aside by the new generation. I think we have a serious chance of winning the championship, even if it is an even year.

toconn

a lot will depend on the trip to Paris , a win and its game on. The first game is the game to catch the French at home as they tend to pick up as the daffodils start to flower. Englands game in Edinburgh will have a big bearing on things and I think the Scots are due a win in that fixture. In fact I think it will be a close championship with no grand slams this year.

Analyzer

Mushroom

So, anal y zer, apart from abusing yourself, sniffing bicycle saddles and stalking teenagers, what exactly do you do for recreation?

D

Deleted member 45466

Whilst, I think we're still predictable in attack, there were glimpses of a potentially gleaming rapier like attack during the AIs, with an average 5 offloads per game and 8 line breaks per game (11 were against the Fijians, mind).

Second half against Argentina demonstrated again that we come apart at the seams once the opposition get clean ruck ball, and move it wide immediately. Yes, I know the game was over, but it's happened against Aus the year before and v Scotland last 6N. After getting through our bosh merchant's opening sorties, I thought Wales dealt with us quite comfortably last season, leading to this sort of malarkey:

Re France in Paris:

They beat lumps out of us last time we were there. Furlong got minced by Arous, but he's a different animal now.

Maxime Machenaud's having a great season, so Parra won't be a huge loss.

They have a superb 13 in Remi Lemarat plus an excellent fetcher in Gourdon; Vaha's a good lock, and whilst he's capable of the occasional bone headed moment, Guirado's a class hooker.

Aside from the aforementioned, I don't know much about the players in this French squad. It's an unknown quantity IMO. It might click and send our hopes and dreams down a sewer pipe into the Seine. As always, assuming equal set pieces, key area will be the b/down. Expect them to arrive en masse, seek clean ball and spray it wide - targeting the Irish tendency to defend narrowly. Any passive ruck inspection, and it'll be game over. Nigel O'wens is the ref btw, and he likes a contest at contact.

It's callow squad French squad, mind. If they don't get a sniff in the first 20 mins, I think we can do some serious damage. I guess that means we're fupped, right?

Mushroom

I still think they're barking mad to drop Picamoles.

gerhard dengler

France at home have traditionally been our Waterloo. Part of the reason why we used to struggle playing in Paris was because our game used to be the last fixture in the competition. And apart from being a tough place to win in, France always had a physical advantage over Ireland in those days.

With the first fixture against France we have every chance of getting them cold.

PBP voter

No team won an away game last year in the six nations bar England in Wales. (Not counting the Italy matches).

Ireniall

Well, the squad's been announced, delighted to see Larmour in. I fancy us for 2nd spot behind England.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/ireland/ireland_squad.php

Is anyone any more optimistic?
I thought England declined somewhat last year and lost the backline cutting edge they were beginning to develop. I think that we improved a little especially in the all important replacements bench and that squad is no step backwards. I'm very optimistic.

Round tower

Mushroom

Ire. will win the 6 nations, in the last 12 months we have got 4 to 5 with the potential to be the best players in the tournement Aki, Conway, Larmour and Stockdale + Eng. have injury problems
Really good to read that Ireland won't suffer any major injury problems during the the four 6Ns games leading up to our crunch match in Twickenham! Great to see that Sexton won't be concussed either! Onwards and upwards for the boys in green!

New Threads

Most Replies