2020 - Democratic Presidential debates

arsenal

Biden seems to be holding strong with his grip on the african american vote and older voters.It looks like he will be the guy to beat and the only major obstacle left for him is if he collapses in Iowa and NH which leads to him losing some black support in the south. He would need one candidate to win both the first 2 states and probably Nevada as well to be in any danger,as a split field will leave him in no danger when he sweeps the south in the primary against mixed opposition.

Betson

So another one of these tonight , and good news for our resident virtue signallers such as Jack , Owedtojoy , Emily etc etc

You will get to use your 'never seen so many white people in one place' saying again as there will be no people of colour on the debate stage unless you include fake Pocahontas.

Joe Biden's old KKK friends would be delighted with the DNC are running these debates , going back to their separatist roots.

Volatire

I like Sanders the best even though I disagree with him on most things. He‘s a crusty old geezer who sounds like he doesn’t give a damn what people think of his opinions. That can‘t be quite true - he’s still a politician, after all - but I don’t feel manipulated when he’s holding forth.
Sanders?

Gammon

Ardillaun

He's a complete and utter hypocrite on the subject of religion, and if he ever makes it to the nomination, that will come under the spotlight.
At the moment he's among friends so don't expect any exposure on this.
On the subject of consistency, Trump has changed the rules: a guy who claims to be a Christian but doesn’t know the first thing about the Bible.

Jack Walsh

Biden seems to be holding strong with his grip on the african american vote and older voters.It looks like he will be the guy to beat and the only major obstacle left for him is if he collapses in Iowa and NH which leads to him losing some black support in the south. He would need one candidate to win both the first 2 states and probably Nevada as well to be in any danger,as a split field will leave him in no danger when he sweeps the south in the primary against mixed opposition.

If Biden gets out of Iowa and NH unscathed, he will be almost unstoppable

His poll numbers continue to rise as Warren and Buttigieg (who farcically for me tied Biden for outright favouritism in betting markets two weeks ago)

Bernie's numbers continue to be really solid and he is right in the mix.

Compared to a few months ago, a Biden fall or collapse in support would now most favour Bernie as opposed to the previous beneficiaries, Warren and Harris.

Also of interest is that Bernie is now doing almost as well v Trump in head to heads as Biden
That is really big for him and helps negate the "Bernie cant win, he's too left" cries

btw
I don't trust the Iowa primary polling, not now, not ever. Needle in haystack stuff given the rules of the caucus etc

Dame_Enda

Debate livestream shortly here.

jimbohane

AFAIK president Trump still has not been ''impeached ''as the Democrats are afraid to forward the articles of impeachment to the Senate to make the impeachment official. A bit like a policeman pulling you for speeding on the basis of eye judgement of your speed and writing you a ticket knowing full well that the judge will overturn his stupid decision. The whole charade has been a waste of taxpayers dollars and the motives of democrats who perpetrated it knowing that it would be unsuccessful are born out of resentment and jealousy . If the American people decided that Donald Trump was the person they wanted for president then that's democracy and says a lot for how poor an opposition candidate to him that the democrats were able to muster up in HC. If you are not able to put up a candidate to beat him in the election it shows that the people do not want what you have to offer them so suck it up and accept their decision. Its called democracy something the US used to pride itself in being the world leader of.

Last edited:

owedtojoy

AFAIK president Trump still has not been ''impeached ''as the Democrats are afraid to forward the articles of impeachment to the Senate to make the impeachment official. A bit like a policeman pulling you for speeding on the basis of eye judgement of your speed and writing you a ticket knowing full well that the judge will overturn his stupid decision. The whole charade has been a waste of taxpayers dollars and the motives of democrats who perpetrated it knowing that it would be unsuccessful are born out of resentment and jealousy . If the American people decided that Donald Trump was the person they wanted for president then that's democracy and says a lot for how poor an opposition candidate to him that the democrats were able to muster up in HC. If you are not able to put up a candidate to beat him in the election it shows that the people do not want what you have to offer them so suck it up and accept their decision. Its called democracy something the US used to pride itself in being the world leader of.
There is a precedent that if a President is impeached in an Election Year, the Senate cannot vote on it until the People decide.

It is a precedent since 2016, when Moscow Mitch refused to hold a Senate vote on Merrick Garland's nomination to the Supreme Court.

What it means is that Democrats have figured out that it is no use expecting a crooked Republican Party to play by the rules. Who ever heard of a "fair trial" where the jury foreman announced he was co-ordinating with the defence team, and had already decided the verdict?

FFS, the Democrats should eviscerate Trump before the court of public opinion, which is the only one that matters now, and let Moscow Mitch and his cohorts whine about it.

Last edited:

owedtojoy

For what I gather on last night's debate.

Buttigieg was the focus of most attacks, and probably did less well. Amy Klobuchar had her moment, and had her best debate.

Warren had the best zingers, neither Biden nor Sanders put a foot wrong.

Joe Biden
had a good night. For one thing, the tone of this debate was louder and more aggressive than past debates, and by contrast Biden sounded like a cool drink of water whenever he spoke. That’s a good look for him. He also did well when he got a little more animated, as he did when talking about immigration and Afghanistan.

Jack Walsh

Buttigieg was the focus of most attacks, and probably did less well. Amy Klobuchar had her moment, and had her best debate.

For me, people are over complicating what is looking increasingly likely to be a very simple election
A referendum on Trump.
That's why for a year I have consistently said the Dem nomination will simply be the one the Dems believe has the best shot of beating Trump, this is not an election where they will tear themselves asunder on ideologies.

For me also, they are also underestimating a simple factor, likeability

America looks like it wants back a president they actually like!
I believe Trump's election gambit of effectively "Look, you know I'm a horrible person but vote for me" will yet again appeal to no one other than those he has already converted.

His numbers continue to be brutal outside this core and get worse the more you drill in
Women, young, people, blacks
They hate this guy

And while I don't want to get into another tit for tat with NYCKY on polls this far out, it is astonishing how few people dont have a very definitive opinion on Trump
Trump is deeply disliked by 50% of Americans, whom in turn say there is pretty much no way they will vote for him.
No one can tell me that isn't a huge challenge for reelection, huge.

However it wasn't Trump's polling numbers that fascinated me in this poll, it is the various impeachment polls

A massive majority of Americans (59%-29%) accept what he did with Ukraine was wrong but disagree what his punishment should be.
A clear majority believe he has both "abused the office or President" (53% to 38%) and "obstructed justice" (51% to 38%)
Yet a significant portion of those who believe both these things do not believe he should be removed, merely censured.
I find that incredible, but yet another example of how Trump has thrashed American values

"Ok, I accept the guy is a a low life cheat and probably criminal, but let's not get carried away, tick him off for it but don't fire him"

jimbohane

For me, people are over complicating what is looking increasingly likely to be a very simple election
A referendum on Trump.
That's why for a year I have consistently said the Dem nomination will simply be the one the Dems believe has the best shot of beating Trump, this is not an election where they will tear themselves asunder on ideologies.

I believe Trump's election gambit of effectively "Look, you know I'm a horrible person but vote for me" will yet again appeal to no one other than those he has already converted.

His numbers continue to be brutal outside this core and get worse the more you drill in
They hate this guy

And while I don't want to get into another tit for tat with NYCKY on polls this far out, it is astonishing how few people dont have a very definitive opinion on Trump
Trump is deeply disliked by 50% of Americans, whom in turn say there is pretty much no way they will vote for him.

However it wasn't Trump's polling numbers that fascinated me in this poll, it is the various impeachment polls

A massive majority of Americans (59%-29%) accept what he did with Ukraine was wrong but disagree what his punishment should be.
A clear majority believe he has both "abused the office or President" (53% to 38%) and "obstructed justice" (51% to 38%)
Yet a significant portion of those who believe both these things do not believe he should be removed, merely censured.
I find that incredible, but yet another example of how Trump has thrashed American values

"Ok, I accept the guy is a a low life cheat and probably criminal, but let's not get carried away, tick him off for it but don't fire hi
'' Low life, cheat and probably criminal? A bit rich coming from a guy who believes that Hillary and Bill are paragons of virtue.

Last edited:

Wagmore

A referendum on Trump.

They hate this guy

"Ok, I accept the guy is a a low life cheat and probably criminal, but let's not get carried away, tick him off for it but don't fire him"
Great quotes!! Jack and his imaginary American friends who tell him what he wants to hear. Sssssh. don't burst his bubble.---"Ok, we lost our shirt listening to Jack tell us to vote for Hillary in 2016 but he couldn't be 100% wrong again right," Wrong

NYCKY

Buttigieg as the leader in early states had a bulls eye on his back and it showed, the other candidates definitely threw some punches his way and Pete didn't have a very good night. He is playing senior hurling now and it remains to be seen if he can cope. Steyer was awful, just effectively repeating his stump/canned speech from his campaign ads and he really has no business being on that stage. Yang was Yang and his committed base of supporters ensure that he keeps qualifying for debates.

The four main (most experienced politically) candidates all had good nights. Biden did well and stayed on topic without any real verbal gaffes, Sanders did well and held to his message. Warren also had some good moments and Kloubacher definitely had her best debate and arguably was the winner last night. I think the slimmed down format might have helped here, there were just seven candidates that qualified and they all got more airtime than usual. It's a testament to Amy's staying power, that she is one of only six candidates that has been there for every debate, that said, not sure how beneficial this is for Kloubacher; the debate was six days before Christmas and a lot of people probably were doing other things.

Ardillaun

The fur was flying. Miaow! I thought most of them got a better chance to shine with the smaller number on stage. In terms of expectations, Biden did best, finally sounding coherent and even orientated in time and place. Warren took a swing at Wine Cave Pete (I never heard of such an exotic locale before) but he was well prepared for her assault and landed a few zingers back. Klobuchar did better against him. The attacks showed he is a serious threat. Bernie was clear when he got going and seems to be tightening his grip on the progressive wing. Yang offers such novel content compared to the others - he sounds like he’s just sharing his thoughts without regard to focus groups, in stark contrast to Buttigieg, and it‘s no wonder young people support his campaign - but hasn‘t really broken through yet and is running out of time.

Last edited:

midlander12

Buttigieg as the leader in early states had a bulls eye on his back and it showed, the other candidates definitely threw some punches his way and Pete didn't have a very good night. He is playing senior hurling now and it remains to be seen if he can cope. Steyer was awful, just effectively repeating his stump/canned speech from his campaign ads and he really has no business being on that stage. Yang was Yang and his committed base of supporters ensure that he keeps qualifying for debates.

The four main (most experienced politically) candidates all had good nights. Biden did well and stayed on topic without any real verbal gaffes, Sanders did well and held to his message. Warren also had some good moments and Kloubacher definitely had her best debate and arguably was the winner last night. I think the slimmed down format might have helped here, there were just seven candidates that qualified and they all got more airtime than usual. It's a testament to Amy's staying power, that she is one of only six candidates that has been there for every debate, that said, not sure how beneficial this is for Kloubacher; the debate was six days before Christmas and a lot of people probably were doing other things.

Klobuchar was my early favourite but I had actually forgotten she was still in the race! I wonder is there still time for her to stage a recovery because God knows the centrist corner needs some shaping up, and she has the added benefit of being under 70. Nice to know Biden actually managed a good debate at last - it only took him a year - I take he managed to avoid 1970's references and reminiscences on 'great segregationists I have known'.

NYCKY

Klobuchar was my early favourite but I had actually forgotten she was still in the race! I wonder is there still time for her to stage a recovery because God knows the centrist corner needs some shaping up, and she has the added benefit of being under 70. Nice to know Biden actually managed a good debate at last - it only took him a year - I take he managed to avoid 1970's references and reminiscences on 'great segregationists I have known'.

There is still a slight chance for a surge for Amy. She has gotten better as the debates have gone on with her mix of humor, folksiness, midwestern values and more moderate positions. The next (7th) debate will be in Des Moines Iowa, a few weeks before the caucus on February 3rd and I expect Iowans to be paying close attention.

The DNC has tightened the criteria for this debate, to 5% in four national polls, or 7% in two early state polls, plus 225 thousand donors, with at least one thousand donor in 20 separate states. Amy has already qualified for this debate, as have, Biden, Warren, Buttigieg and Sanders. There is still time to qualify for the debate, candidate have until January 10th but not sure how much polling will be done over the holidays. A reduction to a debate stage of five would really allow the candidates to present a contrast to each other.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies