2020 - Democratic Presidential debates

jimbohane

Biden is every bit as poor a candidate as HC was although probably more honest, If that's the best that the democrats have to offer Trump will romp home again. No wonder they are so eager to have him impeached . :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If the democrats were serious about this election cycle they'd be throwing everything and the kitchen sink behind Warren. It may turn out for her that she has missed the bus, even if she does end up as a candidate. I wonder whether the Democrats are fielding a few players, nothing special, for this election in the hope of a narrower victory for Trump but to surf a wave in Senate and gubernatorial elections for a landslide and possible control of the Hill from 2026.

Warren is a much better candidate than Biden and would make a serious contender but she may wish she'd held off for a run in 4/5 years instead when all the momentum would be there to change a lunatic like Trump (whose approval ratings are likely to be very low) out of the White House and a much more pliable Hill for said Democrat President to deal with.

The Democrats may be taking the long view on this presidential election, bringing along serious contenders from 2025. Biden seems a weak card for the Dems to play and a bit of an old war horse at this stage. Warren may make it interesting as she is certainly capable, likely to sway moderate Republicans given her political history but I suspect the party strategists would prefer Biden to sit out the night-watchman role for the next four or five years.

midlander12

If the democrats were serious about this election cycle they'd be throwing everything and the kitchen sink behind Warren. It may turn out for her that she has missed the bus, even if she does end up as a candidate. I wonder whether the Democrats are fielding a few players, nothing special, for this election in the hope of a narrower victory for Trump but to surf a wave in Senate and gubernatorial elections for a landslide and possible control of the Hill from 2026.

Warren is a much better candidate than Biden and would make a serious contender but she may wish she'd held off for a run in 4/5 years instead when all the momentum would be there to change a lunatic like Trump (whose approval ratings are likely to be very low) out of the White House and a much more pliable Hill for said Democrat President to deal with.

The Democrats may be taking the long view on this presidential election, bringing along serious contenders from 2025. Biden seems a weak card for the Dems to play and a bit of an old war horse at this stage. Warren may make it interesting as she is certainly capable, likely to sway moderate Republicans given her political history but I suspect the party strategists would prefer Biden to sit out the night-watchman role for the next four or five years.
I'm not sure how Trump could have a 'narrower' victory than 2016 though I suppose he could technically drop 2 states and still be elected. I also think the GOP vote will stay with him no matter what happens - remember McCain still got about 47% in 2008 after an economic meltdown.

I'm also not sure about Warren's capacity to sway 'moderate' GOPers. I think the election will be all about enthusing each base sufficiently to get them out to vote, and I doubt there are more than a handful of genuine swing voters left. She is already 70 so would be almost as old as Biden is now, in 2024.

NYCKY

Warren will have serious difficulty swaying moderate Republicans, frankly I think she might struggle with certain segments of her own party. In her Senate election in Massachussetts last year, she got the lowest % of the vote of all six statewide races. To be clear, she won comfortably with 60% of the vote, but the other winners were generally in the upper 60s and closer to 70%. Even in raw vote totals, she got 150 thousand votes less than GOP Governor Charlie Baker.

As for the Senate, the Democrats best chance of taking that 2022 and it would get much better if Trump were re-elected but shrinks if a Democrat is elected POTUS in 2020. The Senate map for 2024 isn't great for Democrats either, it's the same as the 2018 map and despite the pickups by the GOP last year, there will only be 10 GOP seats up mostly in red states, most of whom will be hard to dislodge even after a potential eight years of Trump. The Senate is hard to predict for 2024 but after that you're getting into crystal ball gazing.

O'Sullivan Bere

All set for DNC White night , sorry mean fight night.

Very little diversity on show from the party that keeps harping on about it.

They recently elected a two term black biracial POTUS, and ran a woman last time in the general race to near election with a popular vote win.

Of the 6 shown there, there's a Roman Catholic, a RC raised Episcopalian who is an openly gay same sex married man, two women, and a Jewish and half-Jewish person. If you wish to get highly technical like she has, there's also a woman with Native American ancestry. :p

There's also been several nonwhite candidates with some like Gabbard still technically in the race, but it's been the black vote that's backed Biden with Hispanics backing Biden and Sanders.

Trumpers will predictably seek to have it both ways by calling the Dems too much into identity politics whilst not exhibiting it, but what you're showing is making a case that neither pans out.

Last edited:

NYCKY

Six candidates taking the debate stage in Des Moines Iowa in the final debate before votes are cast. As one commentator put it, it's time to stop window shopping and buy.

NYCKY

Past the half way stage and the slimmed down format is becoming more effective as the debate goes on. Bernie doing well and Biden back to kind of bumbling. Kloubacher having another good night so far and she needs it, to get a boost in Iowa. Steyer showing why he has no place on this stage. Mayor Pete's faux folksiness getting more exposed. Warren having a so so night.

IMO this debate is important as Iowans will really be paying attention here.

Last edited:

Sync

Warren overstepped on the Sanders stuff. Bad look. People bring their record into these debates. Sanders record is like 170 years fighting for equality, whether you agree with him or like his stupid Kermit hand waving thing or not.

So a pitch of “Bernie’s sexist” just doesn’t wash. It’s the same thing as when people try to spin “Biden’s not a friend of POC”.

Buttigieg did well again. The presidency is a job that covers a million different roles, it still seems like Biden’s the easiest sell on being able to do the job.

Ardillaun

A subdued event all round. The candidates were on their best behaviour and resisted going after each other, although Bernie and Liz had a bit of a tiff after the debate ended. I can see a casual remark about the best demographics for winning easily being made, and why not, but it’s a mountain now. Klobuchar sounded like someone who knew the trapdoor was about to open beneath her, Biden was fairly coherent by his standards and Sanders again reminded me of Paisley. There‘s so much repetition in these things. Buttigieg was smooth as usual and, mercifully, provided the most variation in content and cadence. Warren is perhaps the least flawed of the Big Four in terms of electability and performance, although too left for my liking. As usual, she was a diligent debater last night, fluent and occasionally funny without being inspiring.

Last edited:

NYCKY

A subdued event all round. The candidates were on their best behaviour and resisted going after each other, although Bernie and Liz had a bit of a tiff after the debate ended. I can see a casual remark about the best demographics for winning easily being made, and why not, but it’s a mountain now. Klobuchar sounded like someone who knew the trapdoor was about to open beneath her, Biden was fairly coherent by his standards and Sanders again reminded me of Paisley. There‘s so much repetition in these things. Buttigieg was smooth as usual and, mercifully, provided the most variation in content and cadence. Warren is perhaps the least flawed of the Big Four in terms of electability and performance, although too left for my liking. As usual, she was a diligent debater last night.

I thought Warren improved as the debate went on but agreed it was fairly mild. It felt like the top four were so close in polls, no one wanted to go out on a limb and attack anyone.

Volatire

CNN have been all in for Warren from the start , they have been critical of both Biden and Sanders quite a bit where as Warren walks on water with them. Won't even criticise her for the Indian thing.
Sanders-Warren is a clearcut case of an old white man exploiting a Native American woman.

I hope the Radical Left are on the case. This egregious case of brutal colonial and gender oppression must be reversed.

Last edited:

Ardillaun

The talk afterwards of a big Warren win surprised me. She did well enough but hardly knocked it out of the park.

NYCKY

The talk afterwards of a big Warren win surprised me. She did well enough but hardly knocked it out of the park.
I thought the same thing too. When I read some of the reviews, Warren definitely improved as the debate went on but really don't think she was the big winner. Her spat with Sanders on " a women couldn't win" didn't reflect well on her as I think she probably over played what was a misunderstanding of misrepresentation. Frankly I can't imagine Bernie Sanders explicitly saying anything like that. Also, Warrens to shake hands with Bernie at the end the debate was another problem. These debates are about showing contrasts and differences but especially when its the same party, they are always friendly at the end. At that stage a lot of people had tuned out but the clip was caught on CNN and got much more traction since then, probably more than anything she said in the debate.

silverharp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies