• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

20th July 1969, Apollo 11 lands on Moon.

redneck

The 20th July is the 50th anniversery of the Apollo 11 Moon landing. On that day, Astronauts Neil Armstrong (Commander) and Edwin Buzz Aldrin (Lunar module Pilot) touched down on the surface of the Moon. It was truely a great day for humanity in my opinion. Astronaut Michael Collins stayed orbiting in the lunar command ship Columbia.
On stepping on the Moon's surface for the first time, Commander Armstrong uttered the famous words- "One small step for man, one giant step for mankind".
They spent about two and a half hours on the Moon, collecting samples of moon rock and doing experiments. On the third day they returned to Earth.

More detailed info is available on the above sites.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
It is sometimes said that Armstrong intended to say "That's one small step for a man. One giant leap for mankind." Some even say that's what he did actually say but a drop out obscured it. Armstrong declined to elaborate (as usual) on the issue.

Trivia bonus: What was the first word uttered from the Moon's surface?

Apollo 11 is at once the most significant and least interesting of the moon missions. It was a toe-dip. The J missions (15+) lasted days. Apollo 17 being the high point. The US wants to put people back up there by 2024. Can't wait.

owedtojoy

Stayed up all night to watch it. As did an elderly relative, who was born before airplanes were invented., and when many doubted if space flight was even possible. The same man had seen Alcock & Brown's twin-engined converted Vickers Vimy bomber fly over Clifden in 1919, all the way from Newfoundland. Not bad to witness two massive advances in technology & exploration in one lifetime ... even though one was by live TV.

Apollo 11 still has a glow, but in many ways less impressive than this one, or Apollo 13.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It never happened lads. :D
You mean they were actually angels or spirits babbling in aramaic on the moon, that time?

You are just pissed off because no photos have emerged of sandal-god's big toe just outside the ionosphere.

cozzy121

I still like the Mr Gorsky story.. Which was false by the way

"When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous “One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind” statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky.”Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky” statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors’ bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, “Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You’ll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!”"

Degeneration X

It is sometimes said that Armstrong intended to say "That's one small step for a man. One giant leap for mankind." Some even say that's what he did actually say but a drop out obscured it. Armstrong declined to elaborate (as usual) on the issue.

Apollo 11 is at once the most significant and least interesting of the moon missions. It was a toe-dip. The J missions (15+) lasted days. Apollo 17 being the high point. The US wants to put people back up there by 2024. Can't wait.
Houston?

raetsel

I still like the Mr Gorsky story.. Which was false by the way

"When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous “One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind” statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky.”Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky” statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors’ bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, “Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You’ll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!”"
The old ones are the best.
Even though I heard that gag several years ago it still makes me laugh.

raetsel

Stayed up all night to watch it.
I did also. Great memories, and some astonishingly good music in the charts at the time. Most of the stuff in the Top 20 is still being played regularly half a century later.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
The 20th July is the 50th anniversery of the Apollo 11 Moon landing. On that day, Astronauts Neil Armstrong (Commander) and Edwin Buzz Aldrin (Lunar module Pilot) touched down on the surface of the Moon. It was truely a great day for humanity in my opinion. Astronaut Michael Collins stayed orbiting in the lunar command ship Columbia.
On stepping on the Moon's surface for the first time, Commander Armstrong uttered the famous words- "One small step for man, one giant step for mankind".
They spent about two and a half hours on the Moon, collecting samples of moon rock and doing experiments. On the third day they returned to Earth.

More detailed info is available on the above sites.
Indeed - I stayed up all night with my sister to watch it on RTE TV

- Black & White telly back in those days mes enfants ….:cool:

Catahualpa

Website

Will Trump go?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Will Trump go?
Pretty much every republican president since Reagan has promised big things in space only to have the Democrats gain the presidency in due course and cancel everything. Having said that, I think Bush's space policy was rubbish and cynical. Trump has a pretty good track record of delivery and a triumphant return to the moon is certainly something that appeals to his hilariously outsized ego. Answer: I don't know. I hope so and our chances look better now than at any time since December 1972.

owedtojoy

Trump wants NASA to start Moon missions again because he wants to distract from what they have been discovering about a more important planetary body - Earth. Action on climate change is bad for the profits of his plutocratic friends, not to mention the Saudis.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
As did an elderly relative, who was born before airplanes were invented
Yeah, that vignette is quite incredible. Most astronauts in their accounts relate this too about their parents.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Trump wants NASA to start Moon missions again because he wants to distract from what they have been discovering about a more important planetary body - Earth. Action on climate change is bad for the profits of his plutocratic friends, not to mention the Saudis.
Ahra for jaysus sake Owed is nothing sacred? Can we leave your Trump hatred out of the Apollo thread. You know you can do it.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Well with the Chinese now really interested in Celestial Destiny then the USA needs to get their act together if they don't want to be upstaged by China.
Well, the US did beat them there by a half century. :)

Catahualpa

Website
Yeah, that vignette is quite incredible. Most astronauts in their accounts relate this too about their parents.
Well that was the Age of my Grandparents

- my maternal grandfather was born in 1880

What a difference from then till now!

Obviously I can recall 1969 pretty well

Technology wise the Biggest change since then has been the Computerisation of Communications and its Spin Off Social Media

So here we are 50 years later and WOW!o_O

Where will the World be 50 years hence?

To me 1919 was Ancient History

- what is 1969 to todays kids I wonder?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies