2400 Workers Secure Contractual Pay

LeftOfCentre

Today all the speculation will be around 2400 workers getting their contractual pay

Any opposition to this is anti worker - Or Pure Tabloid anti bank worker Politics

Roisin Shorthall has described this as ‎'' An affront to Decency '' Pure populism

Yet another reason I;m doubting my support for Labour.

anyone centerist / or left of centre, would see the payment as a fair payment of withheld wages OR ..... they are being empty headed & populist

Bailed-out AIB to pay top staff €40m bonus - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

LeDroit

Anti worker? Their business has failed. It's bankrupt. They should all be on the dole so what are they being bonused for? From a right of centre perspective this is morally devoid of reason. These people should be getting pay cuts not bonuses.

I would have thought left of centre folk would be aghast that state money was being given to bankers who's actions have made that austerity budget attacking the welfare class necessary.

anyone centerist / or left of centre, would see the payment as a fair payment of withheld wages OR ..... they are being empty headed & populist
Thanks for your deep, thorough and insightful moral analysis of the situation.

How could you post such a knee-jerk, contrarian, one-sided (lop-sided) view?

Let's put aside the tabloid/populist reaction that you are anticipating and let's get to the true heart of the issue:

1) This is bonus money - an incentive for a job well performed. Just what is being rewarded here?

2) Would it even be possible to make this payment, had AIB not been given guarantees (in 2008 and in future) that all debts would be under-written by the Irish people?

This is just another example that we Irish fundamentally are lacking in integrity across the board. At a time when we should be securing our future, the sentiment that trumps all others appears once again to be "I'm alright Jack".

Anyone who defends this pay as being a "fair payment of withheld wages" needs to check their conscience. Siding with the workers is not always the moral highroad. By your logic, raping and pillaging are fair compensation in times of war.

Mission Rock

Any opposition to this is anti worker
You know its the bosses who are getting this - not the workers on the bottom rung in the bank?
You know that the €40 million is being funded by the tax payer, so for example, ordinary workers such as special needs assistants are losing their jobs to help fund this?

Opposing this isn't anti worker - its anti elites. Of course, opposing it will also make no difference, because this is a country where the elites always end up doing pretty nicely.

White Horse

Today all the speculation will be around 2400 workers getting their contractual pay

Any opposition to this is anti worker - Or Pure Tabloid anti bank worker Politics

Roisin Shorthall has described this as ‎'' An affront to Decency '' Pure populism

Yet another reason I;m doubting my support for Labour.

Bailed-out AIB to pay top staff €40m bonus - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
Is there any chance that Labour could appoint you as their policy guru?

Please. petunia

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Anti worker? Their business has failed.
No it has not. The bank is still there and still carrying on business. By the yard stick you are using Public Sector employees should not be paid either - their employer is broke too. Both that bank and the State are on borrowed money.

hammer

AIB have not been bailed out. They got access to a stabilisation fund from the NPRF in the form of a loan :) They are repaying the interest.

AIB will survive longer than the rest of us.

€40 million. We get 52% back in tax anyway :)

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
No it has not. The bank is still there and still carrying on business. By the yard stick you are using Public Sector employees should not be paid either - their employer is broke too. Both that bank and the State are on borrowed money.
Yes. YES! YES!!!! Exactly!!!

Our constitution says that all people are equal. It is an outrage that some privileged members of society have managed to acquire a position where they have vastly superior employment protection, pay and protection from competition to others.

I don't limit that to bank employees, public sector workers, publicans, pharmacists, or farmers, but they are certainly all on the list of people who should join the real world stop living on the backs of the rest of us.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies