25 December 1991 - 25 years ago tonight the Soviet Union collapsed - & Russia was re-born

Catalpast

At 7pm Moscow time, on December 25th, 1991, Mikhail Gorbachev checked his spectacles were clean, glanced at his watch, then looked up at the camera and began reading from a sheet of paper.

“Dear fellow countrymen! Compatriots . . . I am ceasing my activities as president of the USSR.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/conor-o-clery-remembering-the-last-day-of-the-soviet-union-1.2916499

This night 25 years ago the Soviet Union finally imploded under its own contradictions and a massive failure of Leadership by Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev.

I well remember that night as a brief clip appeared on our TV screens of the Red Flag no longer flying above the Kremlin

- and an Age of History that began in August 1914 came to an end...

Of course the reasons for its final collapse are myriad but one has to wonder if someone of the calibre of Vladimir Putin had been inside the Kremlin then would the outcome have been different?

I think it would TBH - but probably a lot more bloody....

Last edited:

automaticforthepeople

And of course Russia never looked back!

[video=youtube;v9YnDirqwT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9YnDirqwT4[/video]

Analyzer

Russia got raped later the same decade, under the approval of the Clintons.

As a result it has a horrendous wealth distribution profile.

And the Communist Party are currently the second largest party in the Russian Duma.

Were it not for the neo-con funded 'regime change' operation in Kiev, the Communists might have achieved power and started to seize the mines and enterprises again.

GDPR

There was a lot bad about the Soviet Union but there was a lot marvellous about it to; however it is now impossible to argue that its destruction has been a disaster for the planet. Gorb was Thatcher and Blair multiplied by a thousand in what he did.

Analyzer

The subsequent societal collapse was one of the worst events in the lifetime of posters on this site.

It was a terrible misfortune. The West made serious policy mistakes with respect to Yeltsin. He was a disaster.

automaticforthepeople

There was a lot bad about the Soviet Union but there was a lot marvellous about it to; however it is now impossible to argue that its destruction has been a disaster for the planet. Gorb was Thatcher and Blair multiplied by a thousand in what he did.
What did you eat today? Did he not reduce the threat of nuclear weapons with Reagan? Did he not withdraw the Soviet forces from Afghanistan? Did he not tell client states that if they attacked their people so as to stay in power, he would refuse to support them?

Gorbachev's presence in Beijing inspired the Tiananamam Square demonstrators to aspire to his values. Thatcher inspired poll tax demonstrators to thrash their own capital city. Blair while not quite responsible for the body count that Stalin delivered set Afghanistan back decades and inspired growth in the body bag making industry.

Kommunist

The Irish Times article on this was very moving in my opinion.

I think that the numbers don't really lie. The collapse in living standards, life expectancy, coupled with privatization, immediate and huge social/economic inequalities, etc. The dissolution of the USSR happened while Gorbachev's deputy was talking to the IMF about how to "transition the economy" to a free market one.

What a great transition that was.

Truly tragic event.

GDPR

Its actually possible Boris Yeltsin was responsible for more Russian deaths than Stalin

The Legacy of Boris Yeltsin - Antiwar.com Original by -- Antiwar.com
Stalin despite decades of propaganda against him following the coup that took place after his possible murder is deeply loved still today by the Russian people. There are those who even want to make him a Saint as weird as that sounds to many people here. Anyway his being blamed for everyone catching a cold on his watch is crazy. Meanwhile though in the place we are all supposed to look up as the bastion of morality, etc;

10 Million Americans Disappeared during the Great Depression Time

Polybius

I miss the days of the Cold War. No jihadi suicide bombers in Europe back then.

bormotello

I remember Soviet TV was scaring people that Europe is full of Irish and Palestinian "freedom fighters"

darkhorse

The Soviets defended Europe from Eastern European mass immigration via their 'Iron Curtain'
And imposed enormous pain and suffering on its population due to its mapcap 'sovietism' (or whatever the reason was who cares now)
But that's no reason to hark back to those days
Europe is now free and open for all of us
Even if the UK bows out (so fuk them)

GDPR

Just the Red Brigades, Baader-Meinhof, the PIRA, ETA etc.

Some of these organisations actually kidnapped and murdered former Prime Ministers and came within a whisker of blowing up a whole government.

Jihadis are in the ha'penny place, sorry Pie.

And basically, no one ever believed Russia would bomb us. Our fears, if you are old enough to remember them, is that the US would bomb Russia, Russian would retaliate and guess who was right in the middle?

effer

The Soviets defended Europe from Eastern European mass immigration via their 'Iron Curtain'
And imposed enormous pain and suffering on its population due to its mapcap 'sovietism' (or whatever the reason was who cares now)
But that's no reason to hark back to those days
Europe is now free and open for all of us
Even if the UK bows out (so fuk them)
Yea everything's hunky dory. Isn't it just fabliss to swan around Europe without a care in the world?

GDPR

The Irish Times article on this was very moving in my opinion.

I think that the numbers don't really lie. The collapse in living standards, life expectancy, coupled with privatization, immediate and huge social/economic inequalities, etc. The dissolution of the USSR happened while Gorbachev's deputy was talking to the IMF about how to "transition the economy" to a free market one.

What a great transition that was.

Truly tragic event.
A Libtard on here said that he had never met anyone during the Cold War who sympathized with the Soviets yet claims to be oh so cosmopolitan- yet my mum in law who is a genuine Reactionary wasn't surprised in the least by my pro-Soviet views which she has tried to cure through bombarding me with stuff from Private Revelations. The destruction of Soviet Union was a defeat for working people globally and not least in "Food Bank Britain" and the horror the United States has turned itself into.

parentheses

Since the early 1990s, when privatization and economic reform were rapidly under way, life-expectancy had begun to drop rapidly, and it ending up falling by about seven years over a ten-year period.19

Harvard

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies