25-year old sexual abuse victim in the Netherlands chooses euthanasia

PeacefulViking

Here is a report from a few days ago about a Dutch victim of many years of sexual abuse who has received permission to go ahead with euthanasia. She is 25-years old and it has caused some debate in countries considering legalization of euthanasia.

Personally I do not see the distinction between mental and physical illness in this regard. Ultimately " there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so". If she is suffering to such an extent that she does not want to live I think the decent thing is to let her end it painfree and comfortably.

Last edited:

Notachipanoaktree

jävla, jävla, jävla Nut, you, not her.

She clearly needs help that the Dutch are too mean or too far up their own backsides to give her.

TedHankey

Here is a report from a few days ago about a Dutch victim of many years of sexual abuse who has received permission to go ahead with euthanasia. She is 25-years old and it has caused some debate in countries considering legalization of euthanasia.

Personally I do not see the distinction between mental and physical illness in this regard. Ultimately " there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so". If she is suffering to such an extent that she does not want to live I think the decent thing is to let her end it painfully and comfortably.
Once you meant painlessly then you're on the ball. If we cannot own our own life we can own nothing.

raspberry tea

jävla, jävla, jävla Nut, you, not her.

She clearly needs help that the Dutch are too mean or too far up their own backsides to give her.

Agreed,i think this is disgusting and anybody who supports this has many screws loose,this sexual abuse victim needed help,and didn't obviously get sufficient help,and these mercenary dutch dog rapists let her go ahead and cash in on the fact she wanted to commit suicide,which with their help she sucessfully did...She should have gotten a second chance at life,not be put to death for a few bucks...

Patrick Ronayne

Personally I do not see the distinction between mental and physical illness in this regard. Ultimately " there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so". If she is suffering to such an extent that she does not want to live I think the decent thing is to let her end it painfully and comfortably.
She's dead.

The case has only been reported on recently but the young woman's life ended some time ago.

There was discussion about it on this thread.

ger12

Your link says she followed though.

raspberry tea

She's dead.

The case has only been reported on recently but the young woman's life ended some time ago.

There was discussion about it on this thread.
Still shocking,are you trying to say this young womans life ended the minute she was sexually abused,and therefore it justifies the act of euthanaisia for a quick buck?She was still only 25 - she had her whole life ahead of her and DESERVED a second chance...

GDPR

After suffering childhood sexual abuse from the age of 5 to 15, the victim suffered Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, chronic depression and severe anorexia which doctors judged to be incurable, despite intensive therapy.

As well as her mental suffering which included hallucinations and compulsions, the patient was almost totally bedridden from physical difficulties.

Her psychiatrist said ‘there was no prospect or hope for her. The patient experienced her suffering as unbearable".

Her condition was untreatable. according to the professionals who were most closely involved in her care and she was mentally competent to make the decision.

Perhaps what we need to be aware of is that a good deal of research indicates that child victims of sexual abuse, especially intrafamilial abuse, do indeed never get over it. They suffer from irreparable PTSD. Their risk of suicide is quantifiably far higher than that of other people with depression who have not been sexually abused.

This should be taken into consideration in sentencing offenders, IMO.

publicrealm

Ineffably sad story.

There must be a distinction between mental and physical illness. For a start, is is possible to say in many instances whether a physical illness is uncurable - I don't believe this is true of mental illness.

Patrick Ronayne

Still shocking,are you trying to say this young womans life ended the minute she was sexually abused,and therefore it justifies the act of euthanaisia for a quick buck?She was still only 25 - she had her whole life ahead of her and DESERVED a second chance...
Just to help you with your reading comprehension skills:

The young woman is dead. She has been dead for some time. Ergo her life ended some time ago.

Patrick Ronayne

.....Perhaps what we need to be aware of is that a good deal of research indicates that child victims of sexual abuse, especially intrafamilial abuse, do indeed never get over it. They suffer from irreparable PTSD. Their risk of suicide is quantifiably far higher than that of other people with depression who have not been sexually abused.

Agree 100%

talkingshop

After suffering childhood sexual abuse from the age of 5 to 15, the victim suffered Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, chronic depression and severe anorexia which doctors judged to be incurable, despite intensive therapy.

As well as her mental suffering which included hallucinations and compulsions, the patient was almost totally bedridden from physical difficulties.

Her psychiatrist said ‘there was no prospect or hope for her. The patient experienced her suffering as unbearable".

Her condition was untreatable. according to the professionals who were most closely involved in her care and she was mentally competent to make the decision.

Perhaps what we need to be aware of is that a good deal of research indicates that child victims of sexual abuse, especially intrafamilial abuse, do indeed never get over it. They suffer from irreparable PTSD. Their risk of suicide is quantifiably far higher than that of other people with depression who have not been sexually abused.

I'm a bit unconvinced by the sexual abuse having caused all this. Human beings have great resilience and I'm not convinced that with the right treatment people can't recover. Anorexia on the other hand seems to be a disaster once it gets hold of someone.

(Not to say the sentences shouldn't be harsh for sexual abuse - and sometimes they aren't, or not enough).

Dame_Enda

I don't agree with this. Its like this way the abuser wins.

GDPR

I'm a bit unconvinced by the sexual abuse having caused all this. Human beings have great resilience and I'm not convinced that with the right treatment people can't recover. Anorexia on the other hand seems to be a disaster once it gets hold of someone.

(Not to say the sentences shouldn't be harsh for sexual abuse - and sometimes they aren't, or not enough).
Research would indicate otherwise plus the details provided by competent medical professionals in tihis case.

You could try googling the report of this incident and of course child sexual abuse suicide risk for an informed perspective.

talkingshop

Research would indicate otherwise plus the details provided by competent medical professionals in tihis case.

You could try googling the report of this incident and of course child sexual abuse suicide risk for an informed perspective.
I don't believe that research indicates that people who have been sexually abused, with proper counselling/treatment are unable to come to terms with it, and move on. In the past of course people often didn't get proper counselling, couldn't talk about it, blamed themselves..etc.

GDPR

I don't believe that research indicates that people who have been sexually abused, with proper counselling/treatment are unable to come to terms with it, and move on. In the past of course people often didn't get proper counselling, couldn't talk about it, blamed themselves..etc.
Google is your friend.

GDPR

Ever notice that google actually doesn't give you access to real research, only to media articles? :roll:
You cant be using advanced search then.

Do come back when you find something which contradicts my statement that child sexual abuse victims are at agreatly increased risk of suicide in later life. It is quite an uncontentious view point. You seem to wish to complicate it by reference to anorexia or the quality of therapy available to them, which are actually distinct issues in themselves.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies