250 Irish women fear an IT article silences them. Will stright white males listen and learn or just carry on regardless?

Congalltee

250 Irish women fear an IT article silences them. Will stright white males listen and learn or just carry on regardless?

Last week, writer Frank Gaffney wrote an article. It wasn't the most earth shattering piece. He's not particularly influential
Identity politics is utterly ineffective at anything other than dividing people

But this week, 250plus activist women from a wide variety of backgrounds, races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations decided to let it be known that they agree with Sinead Redmond's response, when she says:
• Last week, a good number of the left-wing men seriously disappointed her by sharing and commentating on the Irish Times article.
• Self-reflection is good. (It is an obligation on all of us to honestly look at our different positions within the structures of oppression and privilege under patriarchal racial capitalism)
• Diversity is good.
• Working-class ‘straight white men’ in Ireland have been oppressed but they are also oppressors.
• They need to listen to women.
• Writing (and presumably sharing and commentating) an article “aims to silence” women. This is a trend.
• Men who feel they are one who are silenced should reflect and empathise (but never patronise) women.
• Care must be taken when building mass movements than the core focus does not exclude minorities and women.
• If straight white male activists do not recognise that women have been victims of straight white males, then these activists are complicit in imposition of victimhood on women (and become victims themselves).

(This is an attempt to fairly summarise, but as I'm almost a straight white male, I may have missed important points or worse fell into editorialising, so feel free to correct me).

https://feministire.com/2017/05/25/cop-on-comrades/

My questions:
- 1-why did these women bother taking the time to get into such a debate?
- 2-what does the word "silence" mean these days?
- 3-why are left male activists been targeted by the women?
- 4-why not focus on the real enemy?
- 5-and finally, is there too much focus on bringing down the racist capitalist patriachary?
- 6-finally finally, taking into account poverty/pay inequality/domestic violence/restrictions on bodily integrity/under-representation in public life/housing/poor health system/[some issue I don't get]/etc, where does left wing straight white male activists not listening come in the order of issues affecting women in Ireland today?

Mick Mac

Didn't Bernie Sanders say the same.

Identity politics has become the gift of a lifetime to Capitalism.

Workers can be continuously segmented down into smaller sub groups which all have some point to make but which until eventually it's so atomised that there is no cohesiveness and your opponent today is the person who you are campaigning with tomorrow.

But by saying this you get caught with the are you against this group or that group and obviously one aren't but that's neither here nor there because there is no explaining.

While identity politics people like to think they are stern enemies of Capitalism it is worthy of comment that identity politics only took total hold in a world that had defaulted to thatcherism and reganism.

Mick

Morgellons

A hard day's work would do them all the world of good.

Clanrickard

silverharp

I'd be more inclined not to highlight tiny feminist blogs, a few visitors from here and you double their views, they will start to feel empowered and sheeeet

Mick Mac

Last week, writer Frank Gaffney wrote an article. It wasn't the most earth shattering piece. He's not particularly influential

But this week, 250plus activist women from a wide variety of backgrounds, races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations decided to let it be known that they agree with Sinead Redmond's response, when she says:
• Last week, a good number of the left-wing men seriously disappointed her by sharing and commentating on the Irish Times article.
• Self-reflection is good. (It is an obligation on all of us to honestly look at our different positions within the structures of oppression and privilege under patriarchal racial capitalism)
• Diversity is good.
• Working-class ‘straight white men’ in Ireland have been oppressed but they are also oppressors.
• Writing (and presumably sharing and commentating) an article “aims to silence” women. This is a trend.
• Men who feel they are one who are silenced should reflect and empathise (but never patronise) women.
• Care must be taken when building mass movements than the core focus does not exclude minorities and women.
• If straight white male activists do not recognise that women have been victims of straight white males, then these activists are complicit in imposition of victimhood on women (and become victims themselves).

(This is an attempt to fairly summarise, but as I'm almost a straight white male, I may have missed important points or worse fell into editorialising, so feel free to correct me).

My questions:
- 5-and finally, is there too much focus on bringing down the racist capitalist patriachary?
- 6-finally finally, taking into account poverty/pay inequality/domestic violence/restrictions on bodily integrity/under-representation in public life/housing/poor health system/[some issue I don't get]/etc, where does left wing straight white male activists not listening come in the order of issues affecting women in Ireland today?
Actually a lot of that makes sense it's just when someone who makes those points then goes along and supports a straight Caucasian male campaigning for the exact opposite of that agenda you do wonder has this become a blogging exercise rather than a code to live by.

I like to think that backing a movement that supports FGM is patronising to women and supporting a party that wants women to first ask their husbands if they can leave the house cannot be regarded as someone who listens to women.

Yet that caucasian straight male has been backed by several of the people on that list.

Signed a caucasian straight male who is prejudiced against FGM and misogny and consequently is excluded.

Mick Mac

D

Deleted member 45466

I wonder why barking mad feminazi posters feel that they have to emphasise that they're straight white males.

Mick Mac

I wonder why barking mad feminazi posters feel that they have to emphasise that they're straight white males.
When discussing these matters it's necessary to state privilege so that a due assessment can be made.

For instance if I point out I have a problem with FGM as barbaric my identity segment as irish white cis male means its potentially more offensive than an non white Irish cis male who would be willing to lay down his life to ensure FGM is part of society.

It's apparently important enough to give immunity to someone who stood against equality and respect so it is important to understand what's going on here and try to engage.

Clanrickard

D

Deleted member 45466

Ok.

I thought that by stating that she's a straight white male, her femi-nazi precepts acquire validity, respect or substance.

Weird behaviour. I wonder if herself and Shiel are the same poster.

Mick Mac

Ok.

I thought that by stating that she's a straight white male, her femi-nazi precepts acquire validity, respect or substance.

Weird behaviour. I wonder if herself and Shiel are the same poster.
Who is she?
Are you assuming gender?

That's likely to get you in trouble in a way that risking your life to enslave women, get gays killed and to keep FGM available would not.

Brenny

• Diversity is good.

My questions:
There was a much better dismantling of identity politics in the NYT after the Trump victory, I'll try dig it out. I remember at one point during the debates CLinton said that she intended on countering Corporate greed by upholding the rights of [and at this point she listed every minority group she could think of] communities. It was some of the most bizarre logic I ever witnessed.

D

Deleted member 45466

Who is she?
Are you assuming gender?

That's likely to get you in trouble in a way that risking your life to enslave women, get gays killed and to keep FGM available would not.
OP is female pretending to be a geezer.

Mick Mac

Never heard of it. Then I am not a feminist or an SJW.
I am feminist but I oppose slicing little girls full stop even when someone less privileged than me supports it so I don't fit the latest definition but in the older sense that women and men should be equal and religion or background can't be a valid reason to deny that then yeah
I am a proud feminist.

The site is not for me. Points building by the careful, inoffensive application of a neutered feminism isn't for me.

Mick

Mick Mac

OP is female pretending to be a geezer.
Let them pretend​ away. Who gives a toss? They are right to detail the response of these persons because the details allow how academic and careful now don't offend anyone the movement has become.

Mick

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies