27% trust the media - Claire Byrne poll

Dame_Enda

Fake news, Facebook and Donald Trump: Why do just a quarter of Irish people trust the media?

Do you trust the media, and why do you think trust in it is so low?

I believe the traditional media is losing credibility because of groupthink that alienates critical thinking - the latter being the original purpose of the press in the days when it represented the voice of the masses against kings and emperors. I believe that today they are perceived as lackeys of the rich and powerful, especially the EU and the corporate globalists against the worker.

During the Irish Ferries dispute in 2006, some commentators mentioned cross ownership between INM and Irish Ferries. Justine McCarthy was apparently taken off the story. The cross ownership of media proprietership with external sectors of the economy creates a perception of a conflict of interest.

The uniformly anti-Trump and anti-Brexit tone of the Irish MSM, while reflecting the majority of Irish public opinion excludes from the conversation the perhaps 25-30% who disagree.

Fake news, Facebook and Donald Trump: Why do just a quarter of Irish people trust the media?

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I just think we are moving inexorably towards a point where the media will be regarded with suspicion on every story.

Which in fairness is probably the right place to be. The Irish mainstream media has been effectively fraudulent for a long time in its apparent role as the Fourth Estate in a democracy.

If it was intended to act as a fourth estate the current ownership of broadcast news and editorial media would be illegal.

The online forums such as this one take their legal position from a corrupt stance in Irish law which protects criminals.

Free speech in Ireland whether in public discourse generally or in the media is hedged about by a false anxiety to protect individuals against defamation and libel which is used by the corrupt in Ireland both in government and business circles to suppress debate in the public interest.

There are people demanding they be viewed as having an intrinsic right to a good name which is entirely theoretical and actually quite ludicrous. There are a number of criminals at a senior level in Irish political parties, in media ownership and in business circles who utilise a pre-prepared landing ground set for their advantage from the start.

In terms of democracy and Republic Ireland is a failed state and the supposedly noble pillars of democracy and republic in Ireland are corrupted in order to ensure it continues as a failed state.

There is a tax dodger who owns a large section of the media who is constantly deploying lawyers to utilise a deliberately dysfunctional legal system to bully his way through life.

The law courts are an international joke as are the monkeys dressed in suits in various institutions of governance- just actors in a play with prearranged lines.

The Public Accounts Committee is just another rolling tribunal where outrage is managed by dull people who would otherwise never be on any camera.

Between the criminal underclass and the criminal social set the state is a pale failure constructed by lawyers for the benefit of lawyers. None of whom could be accused of undue ethic.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I would expect no more probity in the Irish media any more than I would expect probity in Putin's Russia.

It is another institution owned by white collar criminals and operated for the benefit of other white collar criminals, many of whom appear in the social pages, wearing wigs for court or standing in the Dail expressing doubt about any attempt at introducing sanctions for criminals.

In governance terms the state and its institutions are no better than a Knacker's Versailles. And other neighbouring states are well aware of it. As republics go probably no better than a temporary halting-site on benefits.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
In answer to the OPs question the quarter of the population that trusts the media are the thickest eejits on the halting-site.

nakatomi

I believe the traditional media is losing credibility because of groupthink that alienates critical thinking - the latter being the original purpose of the press in the days when it represented the voice of the masses against kings and emperors. I believe that today they are perceived as lackeys of the rich and powerful, especially the EU and the corporate globalists against the worker.

During the Irish Ferries dispute in 2006, some commentators mentioned cross ownership between INM and Irish Ferries. Justine McCarthy was apparently taken off the story. The cross ownership of media proprietership with external sectors of the economy creates a perception of a conflict of interest.

The uniformly anti-Trump and anti-Brexit tone of the Irish MSM, while reflecting the majority of Irish public opinion excludes from the conversation the perhaps 25-30% who disagree.

27%? just shows you can fool some of the people all of the time

Catalpast

The Journal is complaining about 'Fake News'!:shock:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Some people have a pathological need to be fooled. It's their comfort zone and they will defend that zone to the best of their intelligence.
A silent minority of the uninformed. Amazing really in that many can read a newspaper every day and watch the news on RTE and still remain ignorant of the corruption in the state. One is not sure whether that is the fault of the viewer or the newspapers and state television station.

Then again as I have pointed out to previously, to howls of protest, that you can have two cars on the driveway and still motor through life with the perceptions of a peasant.

gijoe

Just consider the Halawa saga and the MSM's refusal to pass any sort of a critical eye over the entire story. Its only the odd exception that is doing so despite the comments section of any story on the Halawa's showing you why they have virtually no public support.

HenryHorace

Unfortunately a lot of people still regard the likes of RTE and Newstalk as credible sources of information. It's the same idiots who vote for the same old political organisations that have brought this country to ruin time and again. If there one thing Ireland isn't short on it's idiots.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
So much of the media assists daily with the operation reminiscent of a traveller child trying on a pasted tiara.

The judges stand on a perilous dignity. Bought politicians murmur of the respect they are due for turning up in Dail Eireann in a tie.

Editors of newspapers no longer even bother to disguise the descent into open prostitution of their outlets and the abandonment of any journalistic ethic.

Incompetence in state servants who are unsackable and ineffective except in the matter of arrangement of top-ups. Charities which operate primarily for the benefit of their boards.

You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. And the silent are very definitely part of the problem.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The Independents in the Oireachtas, the few journalists who buck the trend and get sacked for their trouble, the whistleblowers.

Brings to mind the old RAF statement- never has so much been owed by so many to so few.

The only problem being that the battle is patently being lost on this occasion.

Wascurito

I read around various sources, Irish, British, US, European and Indian MSM as well as Russia Today. Al-Jazeera and Xinhua. They all have agendas (RT and Al-Jazeera being the most obvious ones to me)

I used to read PressTV but they are a little too obviously still under the control of the hardliners in Teheran. Sad really......because I think Iran could and will eventually play a hugely positive role in the Middle East.

bokuden

Social media has been the major factor in exposing the collusion between the media and the elites. People have managed to direvtly communicate whats going on on the ground to counterpoint the lies and spin put out by various media outlets, as well as organise redistance. The water protests is a good example.this is why fg/ff/labour et al are up in arms about " fake news".

Trainwreck

And did anyone catch the Press Ombudsman on Newstalk this morning? Peter Feeney?

Apparently this twat isn't happy with his job description as an ombudsman - acting to mediate according to established regulation. He came on to insist that we needed lot's more regulation of social media, to:

- "stamp out fake news" (of course only he is clever enough to know "fake news" when he sees it) and
- "to prevent confidence in the traditional media being eroded".

And he wasn't satisfied stepping into the arena of domestic politics (of the fascist kind) - he was insisting this needed to be an international initiative.

So basically your average globalist fascist. I can only imagine he envisages himself doling out the prohibitions, sending in the storm troopers to close down companies and individuals on line that don't bow to his regime of censorship and control.

I kid you not.

These people don't just live among us, they move and shake with people who have power to write such fascist laws and regulations. They are placed in positions of influence and power. And all funded by my and your fúcking taxes.

We are in deeply dangerous times.

Trainwreck

What % of people believe bullsh1t stories shared on facebook?
Starting with you, that's 1.

But I think it is your right to read whatever bullshít stories you see on Facebook and free to make up your own mind, rather than being told what to believe or having you access to information controlled or manipulated by law or regulation.

I see you post the most ridiculous nonsense you have pulled from the internet and post it here claiming it as "fact". It is my belief you are deluded and stupid and I tell you so and state my reasons why.

But never ever, would I even suggest you should be banned from seeing that material and being able to reach your own conclusions about it.

That is the difference between you and me. I am very comfortable with my position on this.

Gin Soaked

Trust is a relative term.

I feel that media bias and self censorship ARE issues in the Irish meeja, but I don't think they lie.

I appreciate this is a very low bar....

Half Nelson

27% seems unrealistically high and wouldn't tally with most people's experience, imho.

Fake news?

Gin Soaked

What % of people believe bullsh1t stories shared on facebook?
As per my earlier post, there are a handful of meeja outets who I think don't lie, but may omit relevant facts, (IT) or spin (Channel 4 News) or neglect on occasion to provide a counterpoint to editorialising a story. (C4 and possibly sky news, which, if it weren't for the office cafe, I'd never see.).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies