28k to be offered redundancy in HSE

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
HSE proposes major redundancy scheme - RT News

Some good news today. This is the first sign of the government really getting into the monsterous public sector wage bill which is dragging us down. Anyone who works in the HSE can point to a huge amount of pointless jobs that were created during the boom years.

Overall we need to lose between 50k and 100k in the public service.

Last edited:

gijoe

The thread title is very misleading. They are not cutting 28k jobs. They are targeting 4000-5000 redundancies from among the 28k employees in the relevant grades.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
The thread title is very misleading. They are not cutting 28k jobs. They are targeting 4000-5000 redundancies from among the 28k employees in the relevant grades.

Sorry, correct.
I meant to say "28k to be offered redundancy in HSE", but I can't figure out how to correct it.

Holy Cow

I wonder how many will take the cash and then be rehired as consultants on higher pay?

Libero

gijoe said:
True.

It's also worth noting that a €400m package covering 5,000 employees comes to €80,000 per employee.
I'm sure Keith-M will be back on the thread any moment now to welcome that figure and explain how it's good value for money.
Maybe he'll even have a guess on where the state would find the money to pay off the other 95k employees he'd like to see lose their jobs. At the rate he's endorsing today, that would cost €7.2bn.

He might also let us know how the pointless jobs (which certainly exist, in volume) can be eliminated by a redundancy/early retirement scheme that is entirely voluntary in nature.

paddywhack

€400 million is the estimated cost of the package, but presumably if you make so many people redundant they will qualify for unemployment benefit or pension. If these people are not required the question has to be asked why were they ever employed?

Gryire

I wonder how many will take the cash and then be rehired as consultants on higher pay?
That is happening every day at the moment.

Sync

Sorry, correct.
I meant to say "28k to be offered redundancy in HSE", but I can't figure out how to correct it.
It's not possible to alter a thread title after it's been put up there. I've changed it now to what you have above.

asset test

There is a very short time frame for employees to make a decision about this. A life changing one too, but necessary I think.

There should be a similar scheme for Civil Service, Local Authorities etc. Short sharp shock now, better than death from a thousand cuts.

CPA adhered to, this scheme is voluntary, so it should be extended to all PS in time. It is a good way to cut costs, and no more paycuts for the time being for those staying on.

Gemlarkin

The anglo emloyees got 8 weeks per year with a maximum of 3 years pay

The anglo emloyees got 8 weeks per year with a maximum of 3 years pay.

The HSE staff age offered 5 weeks per year with a maximumof 2 years pay.

Why so much tot he Anglo staff.

HSE staff qualify for a gratuity on retirement of 1.5 years salary so its not such a good deal for some one with 30 years service.

It will be interesting to see who will take it up. Ideal if you are emigrating.

Asparagus

The anglo emloyees got 8 weeks per year with a maximum of 3 years pay.

The HSE staff age offered 5 weeks per year with a maximumof 2 years pay.

Why so much tot he Anglo staff.

HSE staff qualify for a gratuity on retirement of 1.5 years salary so its not such a good deal for some one with 30 years service.

It will be interesting to see who will take it up. Ideal if you are emigrating.
No doubt FFreinds and FFamily will take the redundancy and then take up day rate contract roles.

Gemlarkin

The anglo emloyees got 8 weeks per year with a maximum of 3 years pay

No doubt FFreinds and FFamily will take the redundancy and then take up day rate contract roles.
The anglo emloyees got 8 weeks per year with a maximum of 3 years pay, in fact you get nothing for service beyond that.

If you have service beyond thatsay 28 years and 12 years from a gratuity of 1.5 times your salary your gratuity is forsaken for 2.0 times salary now.

Conor

If you have service beyond thatsay 28 years and 12 years from a gratuity of 1.5 times your salary your gratuity is forsaken for 2.0 times salary now.
Pension benefits are preserved. If you leave at any stage (after about two years service) you can still claim your pension and lump sum when you reach retirement age.

politicaldonations

None of this voluntary, consensus crap. If people arent needed ANYWHERE in public sector, sack them with statutory minimum. Harney is admiting that theres huge numbers in public sector doing nothing costing taxpayers a fortune while the private sector workers are bearing almost all the brunt. Obscene.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies