2nd Poll in a row - Unionists rattled to the core as support SURGES for the reunification of Ireland.

Talk Back

2nd Poll in a row - Unionists rattled to the core as support SURGES for the reunification of Ireland.

Some of the findings from the 'Lord Ashcroft Poll' - the UK is about to implode.

The fat lady is singing - the song is on its last verse - there will be no more chorus's for the UK.

UNITED IRELAND support SURGES: Shock Brexit poll reveals Northern Ireland could QUIT UK

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/976386/brexit-news-ireland-irish-border-northern-ireland-lord-ashcroft-polls

British voters would rather lose Northern Ireland than give up the benefits of Brexit.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/06/leave-voters-would-rather-lose-northern-ireland-than-give-up-the-benefits-of-brexit/#more-15641

Strawberry

Come on, get it done. Who the fúck are these 1% of SF voters and 10% of SDLP voters opting to lick Britain's arse?

Have a word with them so we can get rid of that stupid border altogether.

Franzoni

It's been obvious since the Tories did the deal with the DUP and the Brexit supporters went mad when they found out about the billion pound sweetener that they would throw NI under the bus if it got in the way of leaving the EU....

By the sounds of it Tory Brexiteer voters will ditch Scotland and Wales if they have to as well....

We also asked Leave voters in Britain whether they would leave the EU, or keep England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales together in the UK, if it were impossible to do both. Most, including more than seven in 10 Tory voters, said they would rather leave the EU.

Talk Back

With the UK clearly imploding, the Irish and British governments will no doubt get serious about laying the ground works before the yes vote for reunification.

Probably a Labour government in next few months.

ScoobyDoo

Reunification? Is that why the Royals are here all the time?

West Brits getting their wish finally?

Dame_Enda

The Alliance response is interesting and somewhat surprising. The 7% of Protestants supporting a UI would amount maybe to 3% which would be crucial in a close vote, though theres also another 7% DK of Protestants.

I think this being the second poll to show a big swing among Catholics to a UI, that this could be real. But I also think we should not proceed to a referendum until we have more of a consensus on the form a UI would take. I dont see any evidence that FF and FG are willing to engage with SF on such a debate, and I think in a referendum, nationalist splits could doom the campaign. Irish ministers going on BBC NI and saying we can't afford it (which is disputed by a Canadian study) will certainly not help.

hollandia

The Alliance response is interesting and somewhat surprising. The 7% of Protestants supporting a UI would amount maybe to 3% which would be crucial in a close vote, though theres also another 7% DK of Protestants.

I think this being the second poll to show a big swing among Catholics to a UI, that this could be real. But I also think we should not proceed to a referendum until we have more of a consensus on the form a UI would take. I dont see any evidence that FF and FG are willing to engage with SF on such a debate, and I think in a referendum, nationalist splits could doom the campaign. Irish ministers going on BBC NI and saying we can't afford it (which is disputed by a Canadian study) will certainly not help.
"We can't afford it" has been rendered somewhat moot since brexit, as it will become very clear that the UK "can't afford it". Don't understimate the importance of being "European" for a lot of people for reasons varying from pinning hopes on europe to render the north's problems irrelevent in the grand scheme of things through to making it easier to travel to spain for your holliers.

ScoobyDoo

"We can't afford it" has been rendered somewhat moot since brexit, as it will become very clear that the UK "can't afford it". Don't understimate the importance of being "European" for a lot of people for reasons varying from pinning hopes on europe to render the north's problems irrelevent in the grand scheme of things through to making it easier to travel to spain for your holliers.
Indeed the potential poll is more like a second EU referendum. It is about remaining in the EU rather than a UI.

Dame_Enda

It would definitely make illegal immigration much easier to control. But Im not prepared for a civil war for the sake of a UI. We hardly have an army anyway because the govt isnt interested in the concept of a Swiss-style armed-neutrality.

Talk Back

You need to get up to date - you were told before that Ireland can afford to reunify as a whole - the Irish Government says so.

Dail Eireann have been working on elements of a reunification paper through its 'Joint Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement'. They produced a paper last August called 'Uniting Ireland & its People in Peace & Prosperity'.

And yes, a reunified Ireland free from England's unwanted rule will make us all better off - and yes, Ireland can afford to reunify as a whole - the Irish Government says so.

Listen and learn - 25 minutes in.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6820573-a-leading-academic-suggests-significant-shift-in-the-population-here-are-we-now-on-the-countdown-to-a-new-ireland-alexkane221b-and-chrisadonnelly-discuss-bbcnolan

Read and learn.

http://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/joint_committee_on_the_implementation_of_the_good_friday_agreement/reports/2017/2017-08-02_brexit-and-the-future-of-ireland-uniting-ireland-and-its-people-in-peace-and-prosperity_en.pdf

Glaucon

Demographics plus floating voters were always and will always be the key criteria. That said, there is no majority for a UI yet. And there won't be for at least 5 years, if not much longer.

Your thread titles are ridiculous and clearly designed to get the other side's back up. And it will probably work.

Strawberry

Hurry up. Brexit, and the British, are becoming so tiresome. I'm surprised even Unionists aren't bored listening to them.

Get rid of that stupid border, and we can do what the rest of Europe does and ignore Brexit.

devonish

Interesting and a stark difference with the QUB survey, I wonder what impact the fact that the survey was on-line has had? is it teasing out shy UI supporters or less representative of the voting population?
Anyway, nothing's going to happen until after Brexit, by then there will also have been another set of local elections which will provide some evidence one way or the other.

devonish

Demographics plus floating voters were always and will always be the key criteria. That said, there is no majority for a UI yet. And there won't be for at least 5 years, if not much longer.

Your thread titles are ridiculous and clearly designed to get the other side's back up. And it will probably work.
He's every unionist's dream of the ideal campaigner for a UI.

Talk Back

ITV were reporting on the Peston show that it is 4 to 1 likely there will be a vote on the reunification of our country by 2020.

Strawberry

Interesting and a stark difference with the QUB survey, I wonder what impact the fact that the survey was on-line has had? is it teasing out shy UI supporters or less representative of the voting population?
Anyway, nothing's going to happen until after Brexit, by then there will also have been another set of local elections which will provide some evidence one way or the other.
FFS. Hurry up, we're sick of it. Seriously, you know its going to happen sooner or later, why not do it now?

Dame_Enda

But in the NI Life and Times poll there were 22% DK. Its possible that in an online poll the DKs feel more comfortable revealing they are closer UI supporters.

Betson

It would definitely make illegal immigration much easier to control. But Im not prepared for a civil war for the sake of a UI. We hardly have an army anyway because the govt isnt interested in the concept of a Swiss-style armed-neutrality.
What civil war? the first thing we should do is deport the unionists back to their 'homeland'.

Dame_Enda

What civil war? the first thing we should do is deport the unionists back to their 'homeland'.
No we dont want to behave like the Israelis do in the West Bank. That would make us no better than Netanyahu.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies