• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

3,000-year-old butter found in Kildare bog

OceanFrog

An oak barrel, full of butter, estimated to be roughly 3,000 years old has been found in Gilltown bog, between Timahoe and Staplestown.

The amazing discovery of the barrel, which is being described by archaeology experts in the National Museum as a "really fine example" was found by two Bord na Mona workers.

Link.

Catalpa

An oak barrel, full of butter, estimated to be roughly 3,000 years old has been found in Gilltown bog, between Timahoe and Staplestown.

The amazing discovery of the barrel, which is being described by archaeology experts in the National Museum as a "really fine example" was found by two Bord na Mona workers.

Link.
Very interesting that.

Ireland certainly has I'm sure many gems as yet undiscovered.

Eurocitizen

Kildare Gold.

Riadach

Very interesting that.

Ireland certainly has I'm sure many gems as yet undiscovered.
These are quite common, many found date from the 11th to 14th century. This, however, is unusually old.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Brown Butter Crouton and Mandarin Segment Salad with a Sugar Cane Vinaigrette

I had a leftover baguette from last night's dinner. But never fear, I had a plan. I have a number of go-to recipes that are tailored for leftovers.

Waste not, want not.

Croutons are a perfect way to recycle stale, crusty bread. To kick up the flavor, I soaked the bread in brown butter retrieved from a bog in Ireland.
In French, brown butter is called beurre noisette, which literally means hazelnut butter. It really does impart a nutty flavor to the croutons.

I used the extra brown butter for the vinaigrette that I paired with sugar cane juice and sugar cane vinegar. I also added whole mandarin segments to add a citrus-y flavor.

Ingredients
Servings: 8
1 can mandarin segments in light syrup, drained, 11 oz
1 baguette, one day old
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cubed, 12 Tbs
2 tsp garlic, finely minced
1 Tbs Himalayan salt
2 cups arugula
2 cups romaine lettuce
3 tomatoes, sliced
2 cups frisee lettuce
2 cups red oak leaves
1/2 cup sugar cane juice
1 Tbs sugar cane, or regular sugar
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
3 Tbs sugar cane vinegar
1 Tbs pickled garlic, finely minced
1/8 tsp green peppercorns, freshly crushed

Preparation

The Brown Butter:

Melt all the butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. As soon as the butter is melted and bubbly, lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Add the minced garlic. You have to be very careful not to burn the butter. As soon as the color changes, remove the butter from the stove. Cool the butter for at least 15 minutes. Add the Himalayan salt.

Set aside 1/3 cup brown butter for the vinaigrette. Use the rest for the croutons.

The croutons:

Preheat oven to 325°F.
Cut the bread into about 1-inch to 1.5-inch cubes. Spread the bread cubes onto a non-stick baking sheet. Drizzle some brown butter on the bread cubes. Mix well.

Bake for 12 minutes. Broil the bread for another 2 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cool the croutons for at least 15 minutes.

The sugar cane vinaigrette:
In a bowl, dissolve the sugar cane in the sugar cane vinegar. Add the mustard and the pickled garlic. Mix well. Set aside.

Place the sugar cane juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat to a gentle simmer for about less than 5-6 minutes. The liquid should reduce to about a tablespoon of concentrated sugar cane juice. Remove from the heat. Add 1/3 cup of the brown butter and whisk immediately while the juice is still hot. Add the mustard / sugar cane vinegar mixture. Finish with the crushed green peppercorns.

Assembly time:
Mix all the greens and croutons together. Add the sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with sugar cane vinaigrette. Finish with the mandarin segments. Serve immediately.

Bon appétit!

Kate P

Butter sunk under
More than a hundred years
Was recovered salty and white.
The ground itself is kind, black butter

Melting and opening underfoot,
Missing its last definition
By millions of years.
Bogland, by Seamus Heaney

Reactions: He3

OceanFrog

Facts About Bog Butter

The custom of burying butter in bogs seems to have been known in early times, possibly as early as the sixth century A.D. An account of Irish food written by Dinely in 1681 contains the following description 'Butter, layed up in wicker baskets, mixed with a sort of garlic and buried for some time in a bog to make a provision of an high taste for Lent'.

reknaw

If they keep digging, they might find Shergar as well.:lol::lol::lol:

That butter must be 3007 years old now.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
More Butter News, as a trade war between Wisconsin and Ireland looks set to be on the cards.

Fox News: Wisconsin bans Irish Butter
They should be more concerned with their Minnesotan neighbours than with Kerry Gold. Land O'Lakes (of Minnesota) is the most popular brand name butter in the Yew Ess and Ay.

storybud1

grass fed cows and their butter are better in the paleo diet etc, one state bans it, the media run this nothing story (free advertising for the butter company?? in Ireland) and now you see how the media works,

They sell stuff, they get the name into your head in a roundabout way dressed up as a story and it is effectively advertising/product placement.

The media is a business, it sells stuff softly and that is why so many of them are called, independent, guardian, herald, open your mind etc, they are hawkers.

I haven't bought them for years mostly because of the liberal fascist , utterly amateur rubbish they spew, I have seen much more informed and intelligent views on this site than any media. If you think about it, none of them actually go and visit places to get the real scoop, none of them have contacts or reliable sources, they may as well just sit at home like any blogger and offer their views, Tintin o Foole, Una Mullally, Patsy McGarry, Gene Kerrigan, etc, ten a fooking penny in the TCD student union canteen and would do it for free so they can bore their peers for life.

McTell

Twitter
No
News flash from 5017:

3,000 year old "stash" of "grass" found in Islands-West province, lower 14th canton.

Our local blogger Edi-Col reports the green-brown herb would have to have been physically ingested by the "Irish race" who lived there at that time. The effect was said to be similar to on-ing a "rainbow" app like showtime, back in the era of 100%-bio humans.

The 100-ers had to grow their crop in soil for months and hope that their "police" didn't find it. "Police" was a 3rd-party compliance solution in the time before compulsory bio-implants of the Kneel process.

Wentworth

There's me thinking that a 3,000 year old BUTLER was found in a bog. Must have been a bloody good Magazine!

The Field Marshal

[/URL].
No one is going to eat it now.

There is a Centra Shop in nearby Mountrath that sells fresh butter.