• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

3.500 jobs to be cut from health service next year ..

robut

Health service to cut 3,500 jobs next year under revised Croke Park plan - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 08, 2012

About 3,500 posts in the health service are to go next year, a new Department of Health report has confirmed.

In its new plan for the implementation of the Croke Park agreement, the Department of Health says the Government is expected to set new targets to bring the number of staff in the health service down to 95,500 by the end of 2014.

“This will require a net reduction of at least 3,200 whole-time equivalent posts in 2013,” the report says.

The report warns that this figure does not include positions which were approved and funded but were unfilled at present. If it was decided not to fill them then the overall figure could rise to 3,800. The report was published on the Department’s website.
I know the policy is to comment but I think on this part the title says it all .. BUT how long will this last when one reads:

Unions are expected to express deep concern about the implications of the latest proposed staff cuts on services.
And also reads:

Some highly placed sources suggested that the Department of Health and the Health Service Executive were also considering a new incentivised career-break scheme aimed at about 700 staff.
Feel the luxury people .. imagine being called into your bosses office in a private sector job - told to sit down and then asked how do you feel about a "new incentivised career-break scheme" .. shur what am i saying, this happens every week in the private sector, doesnt it?

True Republican

there should be at least 20,000 job cuts in the hse.

Clanrickard

Posts not jobs. More sham cuts under Croke Park.

Dame_Enda

Cut pay not jobs. We need a maximum wage in the public sector. Govt advisors take note.

Crazy horse 6

Another fudge. Why don't we see jobs cut in revenue and other pen pushers. Pay needs to be cut across the board we can't carry on with a situation where the coping classes and the poor are carrying the burden of the bailout for the good of the few.

Thomaso12

I got to wonder what jobs are gonna be affected in this cut, is it the frontline staff like ambulance drivers,nurses, docs or will be highly paid consulants and their movational couchs?

hammer

Its fairly f****** simple at this stage.

Cut pay in the HSE and employ more frontline staff.

Also clear out the 2,500 in Head Office that have NO WORK.

Analyzer

Don't be surprised if the deal is designed in such a manner as to cost more to have HSE stay at home at do nothing, than to have them in the HSE.

hammer

Sure the last redundancy scheme resulted in staff who had already left the HSE getting redundancy payments :)

DCon

Don't be surprised if the deal is designed in such a manner as to cost more to have HSE stay at home at do nothing, than to have them in the HSE.
and use agency staff to do the actual work

bonus marks if an Agency with political ties can get the contract

southwestkerry

there should be at least 20,000 job cuts in the hse.
O yes top idea absolutely superb. What a system we would have then eehhhh. Things are not at all that simple a fully functioning health system needs staff. Sure their are pen pushers that can be dispensed with but only a certain number.
SWK
PS I still maintain a pay cap at 65K for the civil service at large.

Last edited:

tokkie

Another fudge. Why don't we see jobs cut in revenue and other pen pushers. Pay needs to be cut across the board we can't carry on with a situation where the coping classes and the poor are carrying the burden of the bailout for the good of the few.
You really need to start paying attention to the news and current affairs.

hiding behind a poster

Health service to cut 3,500 jobs next year under revised Croke Park plan - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 08, 2012

I know the policy is to comment but I think on this part the title says it all .. BUT how long will this last when one reads:

And also reads:

Feel the luxury people .. imagine being called into your bosses office in a private sector job - told to sit down and then asked how do you feel about a "new incentivised career-break scheme" .. shur what am i saying, this happens every week in the private sector, doesnt it?
Do you even know what a career break is?

Teabag

Its fairly f****** simple at this stage.

Cut pay in the HSE and employ more frontline staff.

Also clear out the 2,500 in Head Office that have NO WORK.
They definitely need to cut numbers and even roles. Way too many back office people doing zero value add work (if any) but at the same time adding uncessary complexity to processes and procedures. Removing all the wasters would allow for workflows to be streamlined which in turn would make the jobs of nurses and doctors easier. And that's where all the focus should be - nurses, doctors, efficient processes and facilities.

Cutting pay would help too and allow more money for better/cleaner facilities (MRSA is everywhere).

And we need to cut these jobs without putting these people on massive pensions - Massive pensions still mean state payouts and less money for services

Last edited:

terence

I got to wonder what jobs are gonna be affected in this cut, is it the frontline staff like ambulance drivers,nurses, docs or will be highly paid consulants and their movational couchs?
I feel very angry to read about the 3,500 job cuts when there is another thread here telling us that the top moguls in HSE ivory towers have hired motivational consultants.....very angry

terence

Also my husband is in retail and this Christmas has been extremely bad, more so than previous years. We are dreading the New year. It is the public sector employees who are shopping with us and funny enough the social welfare people.

hiding behind a poster

I feel very angry to read about the 3,500 job cuts when there is another thread here telling us that the top moguls in HSE ivory towers have hired motivational consultants.....very angry
Maybe they were hired to motivate the HSE moguls to seek new jobs elsewhere.

Teabag

O yes top idea absolutely superb. What a system we would have then eehhhh. Things are not at all that simple a fully functioning health system needs staff. Sure their are pen pushers that can be dispensed with but only a certain number.
SWK
PS I still maintain a pay cap at 65K for the civil service at large.
You have absolutely no idea how many "pen pushers" are in there!!!
So much duplication. So many stupid processes and procedures to make nonsense roles appear busy/useful.
Ask any nurse or doctor about the bureaucracy...

Popular Threads

Most Replies