30 September 1979 - 40 years ago today Pope John Paul II tells the youth of Ireland: "Young people of Ireland, I love you"

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
30 September 1979: Pope John Paul began the second day of his tour with a short visit to the ancient monastery at Clonmacnoise in County Offaly. With 20,000 in attendance, he spoke of how the ruins were "still charged with a great mission".Later that morning he celebrated a Youth Mass for 300,000 at Ballybrit Racecourse in Galway. It was here that the Pope uttered perhaps the most memorable line of his visit: "Young people of Ireland, I love you"

Pope John Paul II had begun his visit to Ireland on the previous day. Ireland was the third pilgrimage of his Pontificate. The Holy Father's first visit was to the Dominican Republic, Mexico and the Bahamas, his second visit was to Poland and his third visit was to Ireland and the United States.

During his 1979 pilgrimage to Ireland, Pope John Paul undertook a hectic schedule travelling the country in order to greet the faithful in the four provinces of Ireland. Over the three days the Holy Father addressed large crowds in Dublin, Drogheda, Clonmacnoise, Galway, Knock, Maynooth and Limerick.

On that first day, September 29th, in the Phoenix Park, he had met over one million people, the largest gathering of Irish people in history. He told the people why he felt called to visit Ireland and the Irish. He reminded them how St Patrick heard the “voice of the Irish” and came back to Ireland.

The final day of the visit - I October 1979 - began with a brief early morning visit to St Patrick's College, Maynooth, the National Seminary, in County Kildare.

Some 80,000 people joined 1,000 seminarians on the grounds of the college for the brief visit. A dense fog delayed the Pope's arrival from Dublin by helicopter. The final Mass of the Pope's visit to Ireland was celebrated at Greenpark Racecourse in Limerick before 400,000 people, many more than had been expected.

By any standards the Papal visit had been a huge success. The numbers attending the various gatherings far exceeded what was expected. Pope John Paul had been an actor in his youth and he could keep an audience enthralled. With the benefit of 40 years hindsight it can be seen as the apogee of the popularity of the Papacy with the bulk of the Irish People. No longer was the Pontiff a remote and distant figure in Rome but a living human being come amongst the Faithful of Ireland.

cozzy121

A great time for the country..

"The two warm-up acts for Pope John Paul, the last pontiff to visit Ireland in 1979, were later revealed as frauds and liars.
Both men had many pronouncements on the sacredness of marriage and the battle against those seeking a legal abortion and were seen as the most blessed among the Irish clergy on the pope’s visit.

All along they were breaking those same rules with utter abandon all the time, preaching about the evils of sex outside marriage, secret affairs, and secret lives.

Turns out Father Michael Cleary and Bishop Eamonn Casey had plenty to hide. Both were fathers, not the ecclesiastical kind either, and both covered up scandalous relationships that would blow the Catholic Church apart in Ireland when their stories were told."

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Reads like a threat these days. And the nuns were charged with a mission alright- 'send as much money as you can extract from the Irish'.

More fool the Irish.

MsDaisyC

And a lot of his underlings loved young people of Ireland too. How many of them were raped and abused under the patron saint of paedos papacy?

stray creditor

A different world. I'd contend a better one. It was last great Ard Fheis of the Catholic Church in Ireland.

The 1970's was a tremendous mix of old Ireland and the new emerging modern Ireland. The Pope's Youth Mass in Ballybrit, some of which I watched on TV was an Irish version of Woodstock, just without the guitars and the sin.

As a nine year old, I was at the Pope's Mass in the field at Knock, standing beside an eleven year old Rory O'Neill aka Dr. Panti Bliss, who was twirling around like a girl and telling me how he liked to wear his mother's high heel shoes! I kid you not.

So Ireland's past, present and future was there that day.

Last edited:

midlander12

Yeah - glad to see a thread on this. I was at Galway myself, getting pissed on after spending the night in a rickety schoolbus that probably dated from the 1950's, while some wise guy on the bus kept playing Michael Jackson's 'Don't Stop Till You Get Enough' on a cassette player. It appeared to be the only song he had on the tape. Perhaps in retrospect it was oddly symbolic - an ode to excess by a paedophile singer which was ultimately followed by disgrace and early death.

At the Mass itself, I actually didn't hear a word the Pope said as the acoustics were woeful. I noticed our local curate pointedly sat stony-faced while everyone else was going wild at the words they couldn't actually hear. He left the priesthood a few months later.

The visit gave the RCC a temporary fillip and probably helped them win the 1980's referendums on abortion and divorce, but ultimately secularism did for them as it did elsewhere in the West though it took a lot longer than many of us expected. If anyone had told me in 1980 that it would be 15 years before divorce and nearly 40 before abortion was legalised, I would have said 'no way, both by 1995'.

By the way, even more symbolic was the fact that the 40th anniversary yesterday was marked by the current Primate begging the Shinners and the DUP to get Stormont up and running so UK abortion legislation doesn't become law in NI. This is the limit of their power now - appealing to the successors of the Provos and Paisley, who sadly for them are otherwise preoccupied with more secular matters.

midlander12

A different world. I'd content a better one. It was last great Ard Fheis of the Catholic Church in Ireland.

The 1970's was a tremendous mix of old Ireland and the new emerging modern Ireland. The Pope's Youth Mass in Ballybrit, some of which I watched on TV was an Irish version of Woodstock, just without the guitars and the sin.

As a nine year old, I was at the Pope's Mass in the field at Knock, standing beside an eleven year old Rory O'Neill aka Dr. Panti Bliss, who was twirling around like a girl and telling me how he liked to wear his mother's high heel shoes! I kid you not.

Which would kind of miss the point of Woodstock wouldn't it? There was no shortage of sin BTW given that Casey and Cleary were MCing.

Lonewolfe

A different world. I'd content a better one. It was last great Ard Fheis of the Catholic Church in Ireland.

🤣🤣🤣 Awesone. Dark times though. A huge amount of suffering under the surface of Irish society and more repression than we can imagine.

Cdebru

I take it you were not around at the time?

Nobody stopped me doing anything I wanted to do back then

- and nobody tried to!
Except geography somebody stopped you learning geography. You aren't to clear on the provinces of Ireland.

cozzy121

- and nobody tried to!
don't be daft, I recall a 24 hour novena being held in our local church on the day of the 1st divorce referendum,-right beside the national school where the vote was!

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
don't be daft, I recall a 24 hour novena being held in our local church on the day of the 1st divorce referendum,-right beside the national school where the vote was!
So? We live in a Democracy and people are free to express their opinions without harassment.

You cant say that about Ireland 2019 AD!

Buchaill Dana

- and nobody tried to!
Drinking on good Friday, using contraception, getting a divorce, being gay, all illegal back then.

But I think we hit on the core point. Nobody stopped YOU doing your thing, so stuff the rest. Unlike Catholic men to be selfish.

Buchaill Dana

So? We live in a Democracy and people are free to express their opinions without harassment.

You cant say that about Ireland 2019 AD!
You think speech was more free in the 80s than today?

You will have to expand on that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies