• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

30 to 45 year olds financially crippled while their parents sit pretty: ESRI

bokuden

ERSI report reveals that those under forty five years old are getting hammered by the recession while those older have index linked pensions, secure working conditions, paid off mortgages and money in the bank. This is staggeringly selfish in my opinion, but I have come to expect this from those born between about 1945-1965. The level of entitlement in this generation is stunning. This generation also wrecked the economy BTW

sauntersplash

ERSI report reveals that those under forty five years old are getting hammered by the recession while those older have index linked pensions, secure working conditions, paid off mortgages and money in the bank. This is staggeringly selfish in my opinion, but I have come to expect this from those born between about 1945-1965. The level of entitlement in this generation is stunning. This generation also wrecked the economy BTW
I suppose, as a generation, they display all the symptoms of "middle-child syndrome".

Ulster-Lad

So them paying on a mortgage and paying it off over 30-40 years and maybe saving a bit of dosh is wrong and selfish? Grow up and take responsibility for your life that your parents gave you.

greengoose2

Do you share and if you do, with whom?

The old eejits paid off the mortgages with sweat and back breaking work. The younger ones got the benefits of third level education, a fat arse and a sense of entitlement that is astronomical. Many of the older, selfish baxtards had to make do with a Primary Cert and an apprenticeship that went on for 7 years.

SideysGhost

They are the last generation for which it is true that children are always richer than their parents. I'm on the next rung down and my generation are financially screwed in all directions. We have no job security, dwindling employment rights, insecure pensions at the mercy of unaccountable gamblers that will never produce enough to retire comfortably on, either no property at all and no chance of ever getting any, or saddled with a megamortgage that will continue to cripple many of my peers well past what is now retirement age....I say what is now retirement age cos the retirement age will be somewhere in the 70s by the time we get there, though it's unlikely many of us will be able to retire anyway, at any age....those with children still need two salaries coming in because one salary simply cannot support a family any more (and can't be relied upon anyway as employment security no longer exists) - but then they get ripped off for childcare...we were fed a lie. Study hard at school, we were told. Get an education or a trade, they said. Work hard, and you'll be better off than we ever were, was the golden promise. All lies.

All this caused by the Thatcherite lunatics who have been inflicted on the world for the last 30 years by....who? Yup, the generation above. Grabbing all the wealth of the world for themselves, pulling up the ladder behind them, then cr@pping on the world from a great height.

freewillie

They are also the generation who hadn't the sense to access contraception and instead brought away too many children in to the world thus ensuring that they have to live in close poverty to raise the selfish little bastards

greengoose2

They are the last generation for which it is true that children are always richer than their parents. I'm on the next rung down and my generation are financially screwed in all directions. We have no job security, dwindling employment rights, insecure pensions at the mercy of unaccountable gamblers that will never produce enough to retire comfortably on, either no property at all and no chance of ever getting any, or saddled with a megamortgage that will continue to cripple many of my peers well past what is now retirement age....I say what is now retirement age cos the retirement age will be somewhere in the 70s by the time we get there, though it's unlikely many of us will be able to retire anyway, at any age....those with children still need two salaries coming in because one salary simply cannot support a family any more (and can't be relied upon anyway as employment security no longer exists) - but then they get ripped off for childcare...we were fed a lie. Study hard at school, we were told. Get an education or a trade, they said. Work hard, and you'll be better off than we ever were, was the golden promise. All lies.

All this caused by the Thatcherite lunatics who have been inflicted on the world for the last 30 years by....who? Yup, the generation above. Grabbing all the wealth of the world for themselves, pulling up the ladder behind them, then cr@pping on the world from a great height.
I'm sorry but I can't agree with that! On a personal level, I worked hard saved 5 years for a deposit on the house, had no decent furniture for years and did all my own maintenance on the house. I also go many a saddle sore from my bicycle commutes. I see the kiddos with cars, credit cards, high life and 45 year mortgages. When an old fool like me ever had anything to say to t he wise young ones I was told that I hadn't a clue.

I went abroad and rented. I still commuted on my bike in between having the bloody things stolen. No sidey, I don't agree with you take on this!

Prester Jim

In fairness this gap is not the fault of the older generation.
They just had their houses bought before the boom and weren't caught the way many (but not all :D) were caught in the younger bunch. They also, in many but not all cases, were bypassed by the many benefits of the boom; increased salaries etc.
I know this isn't specifically being blamed on the older generation but there does seem to be an undercurrent of begrudgery.

greengoose2

They are also the generation who hadn't the sense to access contraception and instead brought away too many children in to the world thus ensuring that they have to live in close poverty to raise the selfish little bastards
There are quite enough "single parent families" around to keep that ball rolling. In other times, the children of "unmarried mothers" were put up for adoption but that's another issue!

Oh, and who pays for the SPFs?

RobertW

Moronic thread.
It obviously hit a raw nerve with you.

It isn't moronic for those who aren't in the 45-50+ bracket.

They're the ones with massive negative equity, huge childcare costs, unsecure employment, no guarantee of any pension with a lower wage then their more senior citizens.

eoghanacht

They're the ones with massive negative equity, huge childcare costs, unsecure employment, no guarantee of any pension with a lower wage then their more senior citizens.
Hit a nerve?

Why because I don't think one generation should be blamed for the mistakes of another?

Pluease.

So what shall we do to right the situation.

Prester Jim

And with the exception of some individuals from the older age bracket like the politicians, bankers, developers and regulator, no other older person is to blame for that.

eoghanacht

There are quite enough "single parent families" around to keep that ball rolling. In other times, the children of "unmarried mothers" were put up for adoption but that's another issue!

Oh, and who pays for the SPFs?

The SPF'S who ruined the country.

What'll we do with the scum?

Workhouses thats what.

:roll:

gatsbygirl20

Sadly,there is truth in that. A lot of truth. Some members of my generation were hippies in university in the sixties, totally into a Woodstock collectivist "brotherhood of man" social model

Amazing how many of them are now hedge fund managers with a Thatcherite (actually a long way to the right of Thatcher) dog-eat-dog ,fukk the begrudgers, de-regulated mindset, only too willing to roll back the gains for ordinary workers which were painstakingly built up by their parents' generation.....

They love blathering about how they love their jobs too much to retire.....sure they do. They'd miss all that brown-nosing from their poorly paid subordinates, and all that power-crazed flirting with unpaid young interns...

They don't care about childcare, or how it is crippling ordinary workers. They have Phillipina nannies for that.......

eoghanacht

And with the exception of some individuals from the older age bracket like the politicians, bankers, developers and regulator, no other older person is to blame for that.
Not stopping them from trying.

RobertW

Hit a nerve?

Why because I don't think one generation should be blamed for the mistakes of another?

Pluease.

So what shall we do to right the situation.
It's a reality that the very young are forced to emigrate, those in the 30-45 bracket are financially screwed big time whereas those in the older generations are sitting relatively comfortably.

If you can't see that then you're not living in this country.

eoghanacht

It's a reality that the very young are forced to emigrate, those in the 30-45 bracket are financially screwed big time whereas those in the older generations are sitting relatively comfortably.

If you can't see that then you're not living in this country.

I can see that.

I just don't see how us blaming a section of society that had no active part in getting us to where we are. I would have thought you a PS worker who has taking a lot of the the same sort of flak from some corners here would be the last to engage in the same practices.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies