30 years ago this week: Enniskillen

HarshBuzz

A good Irish Times article on one of the worst atrocities of the Troubles. I actually found it quite uplifting in the way in which the communities came together in the wake of this mass murder of innocent civilians.

RIP.

redneck

One of the worst aspects of this bombing was, in my opinion, the fact that it took place on a Sunday. The Men of 1916- had the good sense not to fight on the Sunday. RIP

Last edited:

Aristodemus

One of the worst aspects of this bombing was, in my opinion, the fact that it took place on a Sunday. The Men of 1916- had the good sense not to fight on the Sunday.
What a pathetic post

GDPR

A good Irish Times article on one of the worst atrocities of the Troubles. I actually found it quite uplifting in the way in which the communities came together in the wake of this mass murder of innocent civilians.

RIP.
I see you've been inundated with agreeing replies from the usual apologists.

redneck

The Enniskillen bombing was a terrible bombing. Done on Rememberance Sunday. It ranks as one of the worst of the troubles, RIP victims.

McSlaggart

RIP.
Enniskillen was a Garrison Town so the local population has a different "mix" than the rest of the county. That said its one bitter county under all the polite surface. The Orange order was once strong in the county and the local Specials/UDR not people one could easily love. The physical force republicans from that county was that bit more hard line. With all that said the people in the county on a personal level normally got on well.

vivabrigada

I see you've been inundated with agreeing replies from the usual apologists.
Are you looking for a whataboutery response rather than talk about Enniskillen? I'm guessing the former.
The IRA should not even have considered targeting a Remembrance service. The coming together bit has eluded you.

redneck

The troubles largely began with Bloody Sunday shootings in Derry, and ended, with Rememberance Sunday Enniskillen bombing. Of course there was another 11 years of strife afterwards until Good friday agreement. But after Rememberance sunday bombings the IRA were never the same force- especially in the South.

Glenshane4

The troubles largely began with Bloody Sunday shootings in Derry, and ended, with Rememberance Sunday Enniskillen bombing. Of course there was another 11 years of strife afterwards until Good friday agreement. But after Rememberance sunday bombings the IRA were never the same force- especially in the South.
It did not matter what the IRA were "in the South." That remains the case.

Nor do I agree with your claim that the Troubles began with Bloody Sunday in Derry. Their true starting date was 5 October 1968 in Derry when Prod police attacked Catholics who were trying to march to demand an end to Prod privilege. A case could be made that the real starting date is 27 May 1966, the date on which the Prods murdered John Scullion in Cavendish Street, Belfast.

redneck

It did not matter what the IRA were "in the South." That remains the case.

Nor do I agree with your claim that the Troubles began with Bloody Sunday in Derry. Their true starting date was 5 October 1968 in Derry when Prod police attacked Catholics who were trying to march to demand an end to Prod privilege. A case could be made that the real starting date is 27 May 1966, the date on which the Prods murdered John Scullion in Cavendish Street, Belfast.
I have sympathy for the N.I nationalists. They were let down by successive British and Irish governments especially. I believe the starting date of the modern troubles was the blowing up of Nelson's pillar in O Connell st. Dublin at Easter 1966. The UVF in Belfast used this as an excuse to start killing innocent Catholics.
A major escalation happened after Bloody Sunday in Derry. When the Parachute regiment ran amok. The Enniskillen poppy day bombing caused revulsion especially in the Republic. And started a movement to end the troubles. To finish off the IRA was another goal. The amount of surveillance increased a lot after Enniskillen.
On another note, there had been an increased demand from some elements in the Republic to commemorate Poppy day just prior to the bombing. Charles Haughey had come under pressure. This campaign was stopped after the bombing. But the campaign against the IRA intensified a lot.
It is shocking that nobody was ever charged with this atrocity.

Last edited:

vinoboy

Enniskillen was a Garrison Town so the local population has a different "mix" than the rest of the county. That said its one bitter county under all the polite surface. The Orange order was once strong in the county and the local Specials/UDR not people one could easily love. The physical force republicans from that county was that bit more hard line. With all that said the people in the county on a personal level normally got on well.
Load of crap from IRA apologist.

FOURGREENFIELDS

A lot of Republicans didn't agree with this operation and there's no doubt that Thatcher let the SAS loose after it. Many IRA and Sinn Fein members were deliberately targeted after this by Britain in the 1987 - 1992 period.

redneck

The leader of the Fermanagh IRA at the time was a woman apparently. Martin McGuinness was rumoured to have okayed this operation. Given his commanding position in the IRA council.
A positive to have come out of this terrible deed, was that Gerry Adams asked to restart talks with John Hume.
There were 11 dead at the time. One man died years later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day_bombing

Craigmore..

The leader of the Fermanagh IRA at the time was a woman apparently. Martin McGuinness was rumoured to have okayed this operation. Given his commanding position in the IRA council.
A positive to have come out of this terrible deed, was that Gerry Adams asked to restart talks with John Hume.
There were 11 dead at the time. One man died years later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day_bombing
The bogside butcher was stopped in the area in the days leading up to the bomb by the police. He was in the area to give it the go ahead.

FOURGREENFIELDS

The bogside butcher was stopped in the area in the days leading up to the bomb by the police. He was in the area to give it the go ahead.
Bogside Butcher? Who was that, was he selling fine cuts of meat, a few steaks, vegetable roll? Did you inform the police?

McSlaggart

May I commend your excellent analysis.

Some points for you to consider:

Enniskillen Castle
Enniskillen is the site of the foundation of two British Army regiments:

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
The Inniskillings (6th Dragoons)
The town's name (with the archaic spelling) continues to form part of the title to The Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling) 83rd and 87th and Ulster Defence Regiment)."

wikipeda (some people would consider that would make it a Enniskillen (Garrison town).

McSlaggart

I should also add that when I was young I on a number of occasions to OO parades in Fermanagh. The current desperate attempt of Fermanagh orange men to create clear blue water between themselves and their city cousins in quite sad.

The Fermanagh border Bspecial/UDR member was effectively abandoned by the regular British army.

CastleRay

The above two posts plus the original says everything you need to know about the poster given the subject matter is the mass murder of Protestants by the IRA sectarian murder gang.

dundealing

Duplicate Account
The above two posts plus the original says everything you need to know about the poster given the subject matter is the mass murder of Protestants by the IRA sectarian murder gang.
an unfortunate incident , as were the murders of 3000+ other people , none of which i can remember loyalists like you getting very worked up about especially if it was a catholic been killed .

McSlaggart

Outrageous to say that Enniskillen was a garrison town and that the county OO are trying to get clear blue water beween them and their City lodges.

If you think either statement is factually wrong them put up your evidence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies