• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

30 years Of Knock Airport

General Urko

May 30 will be the 30th anniversary of Ireland West- Knock Airport.
Irrespective of what you thought/think of it, it was some achievement by Monsignor James Horan to establish it.
There has been 3/4 of a million passengers this year alone.
I live in Galway and have never used it, mind you Galway has no airport now.
So what are your reflections on this airport?

cozzy121

Irrespective of what you thought/think of it, it was some achievement by Monsignor James Horan to establish it.
It'll be appreciated by those who use it & hated by those who don't.

macs magic

Great to have it. But the 10 Euro charge on departure is a joke and if there's fog a plane can't land. So it could be improved

Boy M5

[video=youtube;RsJPW5kCZNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJPW5kCZNo[/video]

Boy M5

Great to have it. But the 10 Euro charge on departure is a joke and if there's fog a plane can't land. So it could be improved
Some of the ground crew leave a lot to be desired.

Lúidín

The charge per passenger is extortion. Used it once but never again.

ergo2

It is a great asset to the entire region of West, Northwest and Midlands.

Long may it prosper

Betson

But I well remember the controversy surrounding the concept for the building of this airport.
Time appears to have proven that to build the airport was the correct decision.
It was some achievement to get it built , remember when they started off and Horan said he was getting a local committee together with the intention of building an international Airport at Knock , everyone in the media just poked fun at and it was seen as a big joke , they had the last laugh.

freewillie

Of course the far thinking Jim Mitchell was prominent in opposing it.

truthisfree

Convenient airport when in the NW, fast to get into and out off. €10 charge a bit odd but not a deal killer.

between the bridges

Used it a couple of times, approx same distance from me as aldergrove, on the plus side it's a small airport without the hassle of large ones. It has a 'quaint' feel to it iirc the bar shut and the bar staff then manned the boarding desk. On the minus side parking is limited and the ten euro tax is a (small) pain in the aras.

Run_to_da_hills

I'm surprised that the Yanks haven't taken it over this one as another war port.

Bill

It'll be appreciated by those who use it & hated by those who don't.
I generally hate airports that I've been too, the rest I'm rather indifferent about.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Build an airport at 200m above sea level, especially none-too-far from a notably wet-and-windy coast, and see what you get — low cloud, poor visibility, and frequent flight diversions.

Before the CAT II Instrument Landing System was installed, it must have taken balls of steel to land a fully-laden flight at Knock in non-optimal conditions. As I recall, about a decade ago, the captain of a Ryanair Gatwick flight — forgetting the height of the ground, and believing he was still at 1,000 feet — came close to landing with wheels up. Such, in air-parlance, amounts to "only marginally-avoided controlled flight into terrain", or, colloquially, a brown-trouser job.

As I recall, the €10 is a "development charge". Or, more simply — since the development should have been paid off — a tax.

Man or Mouse

60 minutes did a special on it at the time. Morley Safer had great difficulty from stopping himself from rolling on the floor laughing while talking to the Canon and Mike Wallace enjoyed the irony too. Haughey, drinks, the funeral, all were mentioned and the bulldozers in on the Monday morning after Charlie left, according to their version. Probably the funniest 60 minutes I ever watched. Several Americans asked me at work the next day about it and if that is how Ireland actually works. What could I say?

Come to think of it, that is the only version - apart from Christy's song - of the story I ever heard. Is it accurate?

WTTR

Website
www.johnfhiggins.eu
Good opportunity for quick thinking Michael O'Leary to open his 19th Knock route on Saturday next.

Free daily return trips to Edinburgh on Saturday for the final of the Guinness Pro-12 Rugby Union championship.

Double compensatory fares from Dublin!

And an extra seat on one of the Knock return flights for the trophy.

Round tower

It would be great if he could offer cheaper flights, flights a number of weeks ago was around 85 euros, for this weekend, return flights is up on 600 euros

Boy M5

It would be great if he could offer cheaper flights, flights a number of weeks ago was around 85 euros, for this weekend, return flights is up on 600 euros
Mid terms & public holidays, airlines computers have high prices a year before.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies